Barcelona question for UK travellers re flights

Hi. We are booked to cruise out of Barcelona p.m. on 12th December 2009 and are now looking at flights. Unfortunately we have to fly on the same day as the cruise begins (we usually prefer to have an overnight stop in case of usual British 'problems')!

I'm looking for advice on flights, we have a choice of Easyjet out of East Midlands (cheaper and more convenient for us but only 1 flight per day so if it is cancelled we are scuppered) or BA out of Heathrow (probably means an overnight stay at Heathrow for us, flight is more expensive but more flights per day so if the first one was delayed we might still get there in time). I understand that the distance from the airport in Barcelona to the port is quite short so that allays our fears a little.

This probably all sounds very lame to our American friends, after all we are only a few hours away:rolleyes:, but this will be the first time we have travelled on the day of departure so any experiences, comments or ideas from UK travellers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.:)

The EasyJet flight from EMA -> BCN has an on-time record over the past two months of well over 90% which is very good. When it has been delayed, though, the delays are substantial -- 1 to 2 hours has been "normal." Perhaps that information will help you decide (or confuse the issue more <grin>).

This probably all sounds very lame to our American friends, after all we are only a few hours away:rolleyes:, but this will be the first time we have travelled on the day of departure so any experiences, comments or ideas from UK travellers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.:)

Can't help with your problem (I'm from the USA) but your question doesn't sound lame so don't worry about it! Many American cruisers are concerned about flying the same day to a US port and that's similar to the distance UK-BCN.

One thing I would consider is the time of the Easyjet flight. Is it first thing in the morning (more "wiggle room" in case of delays) or would it be a rush to get to the port if it were delayed by an hour or two?

I wouldn't risk the same day..anything can happen, strikes etc. Rather than stay a night at Heathrow (if you chose it for more flights) why not fly into Barcelona the day before your cruise, most Hotels will be cheaper than heathrow too. Have dinner in a nice place, be on the spot for the cruise and relax:)

Hi. Thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions and information. For some reason I forgot to look at Luton so I'll certainly investigate that!

We would love to spend a little more time in Barcelona but unfortunately my husband has to work on the day before the cruise which is why we are in this unaccustomed situation - we have always flown in the day before on previous cruises.

Thanks once again, very much appreciate your input:).

Archived