What kind of long underwear?

lovebug33

In my endless quest to not have to bring my winter coat to Alaska, I have thought about buying a long underwear shirt. Being from Las Vegas, I have no clue what kind to buy. I don't want to get something really expensive because I may never use it again. So, anybody have some suggestions as to where and what I can buy? TIA!

what time of year are you going and how far up in alaska are your ports? if you are going to be there in the heat of the summer i doubt if you will need them. but i understand that being from a warm state how you will chill easier than myself. i wear the cuddles brand at my work in the dead of winter to be warmer on the dock and they keep me warm and they are very comfortable. you can find them at all dept. stores ( at least in my area ) and are very reasonable in price. have a great time.

I'm a huge fan of Sierra Trading Post. We get almost all of our outdoorwear there (we hike, bike, kayak, and camp). http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/237_Womens-Underwear-and-Baselayer.html

Lots of folks will tell you silk b/c its lightweight and warm. I can't stand it. I have a pair of silk basepayer bottom, but I never wear there. They are just too thin and feel fragile. I much prefer poly-based baselayers. That said, I don't have any tops that are baselayer only, any top I have can be an outer wear or baselayer. Like a long-sleeve t-shirt with a t-shirt on top. Turtleneck or t-shirt under a sweat shirt/fleece layer. Things like that. So that is probably why I wouldn't like silk as an option for a top.

My two cents is something like this: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/240,12111_Wickers-Long-Underwear-Shirt-Lightweight-Comfortrel-For-Women.html Its $9. Comes in multiple colors. If you want to wear it buy itself, you could. And you could wear it by itself in Vegas's Januaries.

Hailing from MN we spend at least 4 months in long underwear pretty much daily! We both wear silk and find it to be the best for us as we're pretty active and don't like bulk. We do have some spendy Under Armor that we use for when we fish, snowshoe, snowmobile and hike outside for most of the day. If you don't want to spend lots of $$ (and you certainly can with lots of the products out there now) I would suggest looking online at Cabelas, or any other outdoor outfitter and look for clearance stuff. We only used ours the one day we were topside all day in Glacier Bay. I certainly understand your not wanting to spend lots of $$$ on something for that short time frame.

K.

I have owned several different kinds over the years. This year I read on CC and was told by several people how much they love Cuddl Duds. I bought mine at JC Pennys but they also can be found on their web sight. We go 4 wheeling alot and I have found them to be extremely comfortable. Not to binding but clothing such as jeans just slide over them. I would recommend these also.:)

For skiing we use silk or polyesther rather than cotton. Cotton does not move moisture away from your skin. Silk or poly will. Academy likely has them on sale now. They are quite thin but provide the right level of warmth and wind protection with other layers.

For skiing we use silk or polyesther rather than cotton. Cotton does not move moisture away from your skin. Silk or poly will. Academy likely has them on sale now. They are quite thin but provide the right level of warmth and wind protection with other layers.

I'd definitely avoid cotton. Doesn't wick the moisture away from your skin. Cotton dries from the outside in, so the part next to your body stays damp. Silk, polyester or wool all dry from the inside out (wick the moisture away so it is dry next to your body. Another site to look at is www.REI.com

Archived