What age do you load a sail and sign card for your child?

lds26

I didnt want to hijack the other thread but I want to know what age do you allow your kids to have a balance on their sale and sign cards. We are sailing with our 5 kids 4,6,13, 18,19 and obviously the eldest two will have their own balance but what about the 13 yr old? And how much would you load for an 8 day? Just wondering what others have done in the past.

Thanks in advance for your input!

For the 13 year old....yes I would load it. The amount depends. Do you want to allow them to buy specialty drinks (non-alcoholic of course). Or is it just for the arcade? Will the 13 year old have a soda card or would he/she be buying soda?

You can always reload it. So I would probably start small. Very small. As in $10-$15/day.

We let ours have charging priviledges since about 10 yrs. My son is 14 now this will be his 6th cruise and the most he has charged was a bag of cheetos. We buy the coke card and they use cash in the game room.We have told the kids if they want to purchase something if it cost very much ask first.We have never had a problem.

I gave our oldest charging rights starting when she was 11, and she didn't abuse it. We had already purchased the soda package, and she was allowed one virgin drink daily. She's my responsible one though! Her sister hasn't had the chance yet...I gave her food $$ for a field trip yesterday with a little extra, just in case. She came home from her trip well fed (which is ok) and carrying 5 new Webkins (they were on sale, mom!!!) The most important thing any kid able to charge is knowing if they can keep track of their own card. This is an issue with dd2, even with a lanyard. :)

Keep in mind that you can check the balances daily so if you decide to load the 13 year old's then just check on it every so often.

If I was loading a card for my 11 year old, I'd probably set a daily limit with him just to give him some boundaries.

My 15 yr old will also have full charging priviledges. We've done this for him for the past few years at Disney and more often than not, he never uses it at all. I will discuss the budget with him ahead of time and I trust him with that. I expect he'll mostly buy cafe mocha's, perhaps smoothies, and game room expenses. I'll make sure he has plenty of $1 bills for tipping room service. He isn't a shopper. I'm not sure what else there is for him to spend money on?

Archived