Border Crossings - Lynden/Aldergrove

We are driving from SEA-TAC to Canadian Place Pier for a cruise in June. We are traveling north and expect to reach the border about noon time (no problem). Coming back we are leaving Vancouver at 8 am on Saturday and driving to SEA-TAC for 1pm flight (maybe problem). After reviewing websites we are considering using the Lynden crossing going both ways. Going north so that we gain familiarity with the crossing and road conditions. Going south since it looks like little if any expectation of delays. Understand there is a 6 mile length of 539 under construction, but assume on weekends shouldn't present a problem. Anyone with actual knowledge of this area have any input I would appreciate it.

Going back that way on a Saturday morning is probably a good idea, but heading north you'll likely be trading a lineup at the Peace Arch or Pacific crossing for a lineup at the Port Mann bridge on westbound Highway 1 in Surrey. Massive bottleneck where Highway 1 crosses the Fraser River, and it's almost always congested going west. I can't speak too much for the border crossings because I have a NEXUS card and just breeze through the express lanes, but the Port Mann bridge is an almost-daily headache. The westbound lineup is typically 15-40 minutes, but I've seen it as bad as 90.

There is no question that they are widening the Guide-Merridian (SR539) and it is none to soon. Here is a link to the project site, so far it seems as though the road closures are at night and druing the day there maybe detours. It is by far the best route and I wouldn't worry to much about Hwy 1 into Vancouver...plus if you are planning to be there by noon you have a pretty large fudge factor unless there was a major accident on the Port Mann bridge and a complete shut down of same. As for catching a 1 pm flight out of SEA...I wouldn't think of trying it.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/Baker/Construction/default.htm#SR539TenMile

We are driving from SEA-TAC to Canadian Place Pier for a cruise in June. We are traveling north and expect to reach the border about noon time (no problem). Coming back we are leaving Vancouver at 8 am on Saturday and driving to SEA-TAC for 1pm flight (maybe problem). After reviewing websites we are considering using the Lynden crossing going both ways. Going north so that we gain familiarity with the crossing and road conditions. Going south since it looks like little if any expectation of delays. Understand there is a 6 mile length of 539 under construction, but assume on weekends shouldn't present a problem. Anyone with actual knowledge of this area have any input I would appreciate it.

8am for a 1pm flight is a bit thin. Vancouver to Seatac is 3 hours w/o any border delays, plus you need to check in etc. As you leave Vancouver southbound, tune to one of the traffic/news radio stations (AM730, AM1130) and listen for the border crossing info. There are two crossings you should consider;

The Douglas Crossing aka 'Peace Arch' crossing, the main I5 / Hwy99 crossing, just stay on 99 south out of Vancouver, and;

The Pacific Highway aka 'Truck crossing', located about 2 miles east of the Peace Arch crossing. To get to it, exit Hwy 99 south at 8th ave, and head east on 8th Ave and south on 176th St (just follow the signs)

Generally, the truck crossing has shorter crossing times, but not always. The radio traffic reports will let you know. I've given you both the official and local names for the crossings as they could use either on the radio and get you very very confused.

The other two crossings at Huntingdon and Aldergrove are a good deal east of these and will add time to your trip, even if taking into account a 30 min delay at the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing.

"The other two crossings at Huntingdon and Aldergrove are a good deal east of these and will add time to your trip, even if taking into account a 30 min delay at the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing."

Watching the times yesterday (Sat) at about the time we would be crossing seems to reflect a 46 to 90 minute delay at Peace Arche or 45-55 min. delay at the "truck crossing". If this is the case would you go with Aldergrove when returning to Seattle? I appreciate your input.

You seemed to be pretty well dialed in so I would watch what the time is like next Friday thru Saturday as these are holidays in Canada. This will give you some idea of the delays as traffic builds into June. I do argree there is no point in driving out as far as the Huntington/Sumas border, however as a person who used to visit a Seattle office and owned a vacation home in WA I was almost a weekly, sometimes twice a week border crosser and before NEXUS and its predecessor, PACE, I used Aldergrove/Lyden regularly to avoid the delays at Blaine.

"The other two crossings at Huntingdon and Aldergrove are a good deal east of these and will add time to your trip, even if taking into account a 30 min delay at the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing."

Watching the times yesterday (Sat) at about the time we would be crossing seems to reflect a 46 to 90 minute delay at Peace Arche or 45-55 min. delay at the "truck crossing". If this is the case would you go with Aldergrove when returning to Seattle? I appreciate your input.

No, it would need to be over and hour longer at the Truck Crossing before it would be worthwhile.

Overall, earlier is better, so if you can get to the border at/before 9am, you should be fine. Also Aldergrove doesn't even open until 8am (Peace Arch & Truck Crossing are 24hr)

As you travel West towards Vancouver in the Valley here are the times it takes you to get from one crossing to the next. We do it ALL the time and I've clocked it just for questions like this.

the reverse is the same.

Sumas/Huntington

to

Lynden/Aldergrove +18mins (O ave and Huntington).......

to

Pacific / Truck + 13 mins (O ave. less if you travel at the local's speed).. to

Peace Arch + 10 mins (176 & 8th &99)

Those times are for traveling at or near the speed limit and do not include any tie ups. O ave is well traveled by local folks in the know. Border line ups are not a scientific thing and often the reports on local radio 730 & 1130 AM are not very close to accurate but do give you some info to work with.

If it was me coming North I would use the Peace arch North bound if at all reasonable info on the lines. Canada is operating without construction.

South I would use the Truck/Pacific as USA has added extra staff because of their construction at 99/Peace arch. (But this sometimes means that everyone thinks that way and their line is longer) But keep Aldergrove in mind it's only 13 minutes away (depends on the line there though)

So you can tell there is no wonder that I also have Nexus :) (but it only works at Peace and Pacific (and Point Roberts where we actaully cross a lot but goes nowhere that anyone on this board would use)

good luck

PS I haven't used the Guide (539)in a long time but it is underconstruction as noted.

As you travel West towards Vancouver in the Valley here are the times it takes you to get from one crossing to the next. We do it ALL the time and I've clocked it just for questions like this.

the reverse is the same.

Sumas/Huntington

to

Lynden/Aldergrove +18mins (O ave and Huntington).......

to

Pacific / Truck + 13 mins (O ave. less if you travel at the local's speed).. to

Peace Arch + 10 mins (176 & 8th &99)

Those times are for traveling at or near the speed limit and do not include any tie ups. O ave is well traveled by local folks in the know. Border line ups are not a scientific thing and often the reports on local radio 730 & 1130 AM are not very close to accurate but do give you some info to work with.

If it was me coming North I would use the Peace arch North bound if at all reasonable info on the lines. Canada is operating without construction.

South I would use the Truck/Pacific as USA has added extra staff because of their construction at 99/Peace arch. (But this sometimes means that everyone thinks that way and their line is longer) But keep Aldergrove in mind it's only 13 minutes away (depends on the line there though)

So you can tell there is no wonder that I also have Nexus :) (but it only works at Peace and Pacific (and Point Roberts where we actaully cross a lot but goes nowhere that anyone on this board would use)

good luck

PS I haven't used the Guide (539)in a long time but it is underconstruction as noted.

I went down to Bellingham last Friday and 539 is in much better shape now, with most of it paved for double lanes. Our big delay was going north at 2 p.m. Why I don't know, but there were 4 booths open going into Canada, 730 AM said the line-up was 5 minutes, and it was more like 45.

I rarely use Aldergrove because it is small and they can't just open another lane because they don't have the staff on either side.

When construction traffic is bad around Bellingham, we sometimes take 9 south to Bakerview (Hwy 542?) or in the summer, 9 South all the way to Burlington, missing Bellingham traffic completely.

Viv

I went down to Bellingham last Friday and 539 is in much better shape now, with most of it paved for double lanes. Our big delay was going north at 2 p.m. Why I don't know, but there were 4 booths open going into Canada, 730 AM said the line-up was 5 minutes, and it was more like 45.

Viv

I'm assuming you were using Sumas ?

We often use 9 and then through Everson and the Everson/Goshen Rd through to 542 (Sunset) to take us back out to eye 5. Nice drive.

I'm assuming you were using Sumas ?

We often use 9 and then through Everson and the Everson/Goshen Rd through to 542 (Sunset) to take us back out to eye 5. Nice drive.

That's what we do, too. I like the drive a lot and it's light except around 3 pm in ski season.

One other note for the OP... one of the big limiting factors will be speed through Seattle. We used to live there and I've hit bad traffic for no reason at all.

Viv

Thanks for your input we have rescheduled some for 3:30 pm and most others for 5:30pm... thanks for your input. The final nail was to find our Holland America had changed their estimates from 1pm to 3pm since we had already purchased based on their first input we went ahead with the 1pm, it cost of $100 apiece, but safer now I hope... I saw 2-3 waits on the internet this morning (holiday I hope and not what to normally expect).

Leaving on Saturday, you will have no problem on I-5 through Bellingham ( actually never have seen a problem) or Seattle. I usually use the Aldergrove crossing when going to Whistler but the last 2 times entering USA, we had over a 2 hr wait, because the Canadians let thier fellow Canadians crowd in coming in on the side road right before the crossing. Also the Meredian (road from the crossing to I-5 now has so many stop lights that crossing at Blaine would be the best ( usually truck stop is shorter)

Thanks for your input we have rescheduled some for 3:30 pm and most others for 5:30pm... thanks for your input. The final nail was to find our Holland America had changed their estimates from 1pm to 3pm since we had already purchased based on their first input we went ahead with the 1pm, it cost of $100 apiece, but safer now I hope... I saw 2-3 waits on the internet this morning (holiday I hope and not what to normally expect).

Good Friday... here lots of workers off and going south for a long weekend, Even nexus had 2 hour delay. Very unusual. They must have had puter problems there plus the traffic.

Global TV reported lines of up to 4 hours at Peace Arch today. Certainly makes one glad to have NEXUS.:)

As I said even Nexus was 2 hours. People were screaming about wanting their money back for the cost of their cards.

As I said even Nexus was 2 hours. People were screaming about wanting their money back for the cost of their cards.

Yes and a two hour wait is better than four. :) What was the wait time at Aldergrove by comparison?

Archived