Is it difficult to get a taxi to Ballantyne

Hi All: I've been scanning these threads and haven't found this question.

I'm trying to determine our hotel for one-night precruise RCI cruise departing Saturday 09/05/2009 from the Ballantyne. I'm interested in a budget hotel like the YWCA. We will be arriving via Quick Shuttle from SEA.

From what I have read, the taxi in YVR can be difficult to obtain, at least from the pier post cruise. My question is how difficult is it to actually, in real life, get a taxi from a hotel to the Ballantyne Pier (since it is in a "bad" section of town). I believe, on the day the Serenade departs there are only two ships departing from either pier in total.

If it is difficult to obtain a taxi, then I would be willing to shell out bigger $$ for a hotel that offers a shuttle of some sort. We are a party of two without physical limitations, each light-packers of one roll-over overnight suitcase.

If there is a thread addressing the taxi from hotel-to-Ballantyne Pier, please direct. Thanks all for any help.

No you shouldn't have a problem getting a taxi to the pier - also I am not sure that any of the downtown hotels shuttle to Ballantyne Pier - with three or four hotels adjacent to the YWCA there should be a some basically waiting for pickups.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

You will not have any trouble getting a taxi to take you to the Ballentyne Pier. It is not a long ride from any of the downtown hotels - probably about $10. Just not walkable from any of the hotels. The area is not really bad just an industrial area and working port/dock area without any tourist type of facilities directly at the dock as is the case with Canada Place Dock which has the Pan Pacific Hotel built right on top of the dock and the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel accross the street.

Taxi's are not really that hard to get in Vancouver just on ship disembarkation it is hard to get a taxi only because of congestion in the loading area. Canada Place Dock is much worse that Ballentyne Dock... However if you know the tricks you can be in a taxi and gone in minutes even at Canada Place with multiple ships in.

Hi All: I've been scanning these threads and haven't found this question.

I'm trying to determine our hotel for one-night precruise RCI cruise departing Saturday 09/05/2009 from the Ballantyne. I'm interested in a budget hotel like the YWCA. We will be arriving via Quick Shuttle from SEA.

From what I have read' date=' the taxi in YVR can be difficult to obtain, at least from the pier post cruise. My question is how difficult is it to actually, in real life, get a taxi from a hotel to the Ballantyne Pier (since it is in a "bad" section of town). I believe, on the day the Serenade departs there are only two ships departing from either pier in total. [/quote']

Should be no problem, the hotel front desk can order one for you. Cost $15 with a big tip.

Many thanks to all who replied. I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be hard to get a cab but wanted confirmation. The replies are very comforting to me. Thanks to one and all.

I was vascillating in my thinking that getting a cab from a YVR hotel to Ballantyne wasn't so difficult OR I got a real problem no one wanted to talk about. Thanks again..... It was a real help.

Many thanks to all who replied. I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be hard to get a cab but wanted confirmation. The replies are very comforting to me. Thanks to one and all.

I was vascillating in my thinking that getting a cab from a YVR hotel to Ballantyne wasn't so difficult OR I got a real problem no one wanted to talk about. Thanks again..... It was a real help.

As an added note, a taxi driver in metro Vancouver cannot refuse to drop you off anywhere. http://www.taxirights.gov.bc.ca/ There may be restrictions as to where they can pick you up (for example cabs based outside of Vancouver city may not be licensed to pick up in Vancouver city).

Overall, it'll be a breeze. Ask your hotel for a taxi, and you'll be at Ballantyne in 5-10 mins (depending on how many lights you hit)

Archived