disabled rooms

could anybody give me info on disabled room please

What info are you looking for?

I do believe you need Doctor's verification to book a HC room, unless it is closer to actually sailing date and cruiseline is looking to fill empty cabins... then they may open HC to anyone.

A~

I do believe you need Doctor's verification to book a HC room, unless it is closer to actually sailing date and cruiseline is looking to fill empty cabins... then they may open HC to anyone.

A~

how big are the rooms and do thay have a sit down shower (wet room)

The HC rooms are approx 1 1/2 times larger and do have a fold down bench seat in the shower. You would do best to ask additional questions on the Disabled section of CC or by calling the special needs desk of RCCL.

I can give you info regarding accessible cabins on the Enchantment, Grandeur, Explorer, and Monarch. We feel the RCCL accessible cabins are the best of any cruiseline. They are 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 the size of a standard cabin. There is ample room to use a wheelchair or a scooter as my hubby does. The bathrooms are quite large and have a roll-in shower which also has a fold-down shower seat. They can provide you with a toilet seat that gives you more height if you need that and there are plenty of grab-bars. The sink is also wheelchair accessible. All of the cabins we have had also have a loveseat as well as the usual vanity with chair, 2 nightstands and a couple also had separate dressers. Let me say that we always have inside cabins so if you sail outside/ocean view or balcony cabins I'm sure you will be quite satisfied with the accomodations. We only sail RCCL due to the superior treatment they show their handicapped guests. Our next cruise is in November but I'm thinking that's a long way off...maybe I'll check into something before !!!

A~

Unfortunately, we've learned this is not correct. The ADA apparently makes it so that companies are not allowed to require proof of disability (or ask any questions at all about the disability, that part makes sense to me). I know that some cruise lines have taken to asking things such as "What size wheelchair or scooter do you use, so we can make sure the cabin you choose will meet your requirements" or "What kind of batteries do you use in your scooter? We have specific requirements about what type can be used onboard." This can help weed out the, well, liars who claim to "need" an HC cabin even though they don't. Sadly, you'll find literally hundreds of posts from members who need the few HC cabins, but often can't get them even if they try to book more than a year in advance because people who don't need them have selfishly booked them for the extra space! My DH and I technically qualify for them, but wouldn't dream of booking one because we don't absolutely need it. There are some features we'd find useful (grab bars, space to navigate on the days I need to use my cane, etc.), but neither of us use wheelchairs or scooters, which absolutely require the HC cabins.

In fact, NCL has twice (yes, twice) assigned us from balcony GTYs into HC cabins several months before the cruise dates! We are not listed as disabled at all, so that's not the reason. Other AB members have reported the same thing. Both times my DH and I decided to call the cruise line and basically insist that we be put back into the GTY pool, even though the assigned cabins were higher level cabins in great locations. For both cruises, we ultimately changed our booking to higher category chosen cabins due to fare descreases, so we don't know what the real GTY outcome would have been.

Phew. That was quite a saga.

navis navis: This is what I know about most HC cabins. They are about 50% larger for wheelchair/scooter manuverability; some items of furniture are removed or changed to accomodate WC users; balcony cabins either have a small ramp to the balcony or an absolutely no threshold lip from the cabin; showers have built-in, fold down shower seats and grab bars; there are grab bars in other appropriate locations; the toilet seat is ADA height (or close, not positive); the sinks and other features are designed to make things easier for HC users. Some have features needed by hearing-impaired pax as well.

Hope you are able to find exactly what you need to have a wonderful cruise.:)

beachchick

I have also learned from reading the disabled site that next to the bed and in the bathroom they have a call string (chain). If you are having a medical problem, you can pull it and someone will talk to you to see if you need help, like they have in hospitals. It is a like a medical alert system.

We have a HC accessible JS for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Did not need MD statement. I have muscular dystrophy and explained to C&A that I would have a mobility scooter delivered to our stateroom. Per C&A, the rooms are considerably larger with level bathroom entry [no step up] and the entry to balcony is level. Never had one before so I am looking forward the the convenience. Good luck!

My dad will have a scooter delivered to the room because he can't walk long distances, but is fine getting around the room... we originally asked for a handicap grand suite but they don't makle those apparently, they have HC Junior Suites and HC all other rooms... When I looked more into it the HC Junior Suite looks to be a Grand Sutie setup with more HC friendly furniture, it's larger like the GS and actually located with the GS's on the ship... It's also cheaper then the GS... We ended up not taking it though it was offered but the scooter will git in the GS without a problem...

Here is a factsheet regarding accessibility issues :

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Accessibility_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Thanks Linda...I had never seen this before and my DH has been disabled for many years now.

For anyone's information:

My DH is legally blind, does not walk but can transfer, uses a motorized wheel chair, and is a dialysis patient. When the FOS first started sailing my DH and I booked a cruise because it was a dialysis cruise. As it was we could not get a disabled cabin, they were all taken, so we booked a GS instead. It was great. The concierge had ramps made for the bathroom, and the balcony and the doors on the GS and above are all wide enough...we bought our own seat for the tub/shower, and it was fine. Now we travel in suites if a disabled is not available. RCI really is accommodating for disabled people.

My mom and her friend had a HC balcony for our cruise on the Explorer this past Feb. We were so impressed with the service and cabin that they were provided. They had two scooters and my mom's friend also needed a c-pap machine for sleep apnea. Since there weren't enough outlets to plug in both scooters and the breathing machine at night, someone came EVERY NIGHT of our 12 day cruise to charge the scooters for them and then delivered them re-charged every morning. WOW for customer service!

Like others mentioned, the cabins are quite large and both scooters fit in there with no problem. Also, the bathroom was HUGE with a nice roll in shower area with a seat. I was considering using theirs b/c shaving your legs in those capsule showers in quite the thing while rocking, lol. Another nice perk was that on their balcony room the balcony was quite large with a ramp leading out so no step-over molding like the others.

Archived