Med in May--types of cruisers?

I tried to search for this but it's too specific of a question I think. I'll be on the NCL Jade in May for 14 days (Barcelona-Rotterdam) and I'm wondering what types of people cruise the Med in May. It's kind of weird time because it's after Spring Break, before school gets out, and not at the edge of any season. Does anyone have personal experience? I can't imagine there being a ton of children because generally school is still in session in May. I also don't know about the young adult crowd.. because it is the Med, so I'm not picturing the type of crowd on a short Caribbean cruise. I'm not expecting or wanting a certain answer... just wondering because I have no idea what to expect. I'll be 23 when I go, and my cruisemate will also be 23. I wouldn't mind having a few others our age to hang out with while on the cruise. Again, just wondering!

Thanks

Thats a tough one.. but you are probably right in most of your assumptions.

The length of cruise itself makes it tough for most families, and people who cant get extended time off. The price as well...

But we "break the mold".. leaving in 5 weeks.. 6 of us. Me, DH (late 30s), 2 kids (12 and 2) and my in laws (60 something)...

So there will be a good chance for anything.. but probably few families... Unless Europeans have break then.. but I have not heard that.

I tried to search for this but it's too specific of a question I think. I'll be on the NCL Jade in May for 14 days (Barcelona-Rotterdam) and I'm wondering what types of people cruise the Med in May. It's kind of weird time because it's after Spring Break, before school gets out, and not at the edge of any season. Does anyone have personal experience? I can't imagine there being a ton of children because generally school is still in session in May. I also don't know about the young adult crowd.. because it is the Med, so I'm not picturing the type of crowd on a short Caribbean cruise. I'm not expecting or wanting a certain answer... just wondering because I have no idea what to expect. I'll be 23 when I go, and my cruisemate will also be 23. I wouldn't mind having a few others our age to hang out with while on the cruise. Again, just wondering!

Thanks

From past experience, if you are on a 14 day cruise in May, you can expect most of the other passengers to tell you how much you look like their granddaughters/grandsons. As on all cruises, there will be exceptions, but you will probably see lots of folks above 50.

The longer the cruise, the older the demographic in most cases. You will be surrounded by an older crowd....of course that could be anywhere from 30's and higher...mostly higher I'd guess. Younger parents have to be home for their kids or jobs. The older cruisers have the time and savings to travel.

Depending on when in May, some colleges may be out. Then you will see a few of your age group. But nowadays most will be job hunting and saving money.

The cruise will probably be port extensive, so have relaxing evenings and enjoy the ports. Don't worry. You might meet some wonderful "foreigners" :)

There are many different holiday periods all over Europe. Depending on when and where you are going, Europe covers a lot of different countries. A lot of the countries have days off for Saints days and in May there are quite a few and at the end of May there is the feast of Assension or Whitsun, so families may take "bridge days" around a few or these national days to get a longer period for a vacation.

Also be aware of these holidays when you are in Port as some of the facilities of the town may be shut.

We did 14 days in November and there was a very mixed age crowd--young, old and in between. Just not too many kids, but still a few. Has to be similar demographics to May. Actually not that many older folks (we are mid 50's). It is a very port intensive cruise and we walked our socks off--up and down hills, over cobblestones, etc.for 6-8 hours a day--I think that in some ways determines the age/fitness factor.

Have fun!

Cathy

We are doing a 10 day Med cruise in May and I have also made the same guesswork that you have done about traveller types as it is not yet the Summer holiday. It will be interesting to see if the facts reflect this, only 3 weeks to go to find out. Yipee..

I have cruised a few times and find that my favorites are those that are not crowded, regardless of the passenger demographics.

A crowded, congested ship changes passenger and crew behavior. You can sense the cruise getting more aggressive and competitive with each passing day.

That said, some people are pretty rigid in their requirements for cruise companions, but most I have found are primarily interested in having a good time and enjoy sharing the experience with pretty much anyone with a similar desire.

I was on a 12 day Med cruise in May and on our cruise it was mostly couples in their 50's-60's (give or take a little), but we sat at a table with 2 couples in their 20's-one on their honeymoon. I saw only a couple toddlers, no other kids.

I was on a 12 day Med cruise in May and on our cruise it was mostly couples in their 50's-60's (give or take a little), but we sat at a table with 2 couples in their 20's-one on their honeymoon. I saw only a couple toddlers, no other kids.

This is almost like our experience on our HAL Med cruise in May two years ago. We always seem to hang around with couples our own kids ages. Guess that is because DH was a high school principal for 25 years and I taught high school. We are in our mid-50's and felt right in the middle of the demographics for that cruise. BUT we can outwalk and out-tour many of the kids in their 20's!;)

Archived