Jacket length for women?? help!

colleenmf

I don't know what is in style or appropriate of women's jacket lengths. I am not a slob or anything I just don't notice things like this. I usually buy clothes that fit and I like and wear them until I get bored. So I guess I'm not very trendy.

So here is my problem. I am over 5'8" and have a slim, not skinny, build (about 143 pounds). I found a wonderful black sparkly evening type jacket that could be used with a lot of stuff. On me, it comes about 4" above my knee. The sales girl said since I was so tall I could pull that off but I feel like Maude every time I put it on. I need to shorten it to feel comfortable but how short should it be? Should it come below my hips, hit my hips, or be above my hips, below my waist, etc, etc,. I think I can rule out the hit-the-hips length. That just makes you look chubby. So should I cut it just below my hips (cover my posterier) or just above my hips?

I have no idea what is in style. Better yet, what would the "classic" length be? Then I could wear this forever.

A classsic length would be length of a blazer, below the posterior.

Right now dusters are in and that is what it sounds like you have being 4" above the knee. You could leave it as a duster for this cruise and then shorten it upon your return for the next trip. Hope this helps;)

Blazer length it is ... or rather will be sooner or later. I don't know if I can feel comfortable wearing it even for this one cruise this long. I guess I could take it and see what the styles are and not wear it if it bugs me too much. But you answered my main question. The classic length is blazer and eventually this jacket will be blazer length. Now, do I have time to sew in the next 2 1/2 weeks? Hum???

I've seen several longer length evening jackets in the fashion catalogs lately. I am fairly short (5'2"), but have really liked the look. If I were as tall as you, I would definately go for it. The one I am considering is nearly floor lengh over a slim floor length dress. I do like the look and I think if I wear really "tall" shoes I can get away with it.

Colleen,

I agree that the jacket would probably look better shorter. I like those longer length jackets for either daytime or for women with figure problems that need to be hidden.

As far as which blazer length to cut it to, there's no one "in" length. Depending on your build, where you carry your weight, the ratio of length between your legs and torso, etc, you should shorten it to the length that flatters your build. I'm 5'6" and a size 6 and I carry my weight in my butt and thighs so jacket length is critical for me - too short emphasizes my rear end and makes it look bigger and too long makes my legs look short. You need to either hem the jacket a few different lengths and look in the mirror or go to a store and try on jackets of varying lengths to see which one is best. Then measure it and hem your jacket the same length.

Jane

Jane, My reaction is "Oh my, where's my mother when I need her?" She lives 2000 miles away and could help me with this. I don't consider that I have "figure problems" but I do carry my weight "lower" (hips and thighs not boobs). Ah well, I'll just take it as it this time and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Archived