Azura for first timer ?

G. GIRL

Hi I'm G.GIRL and new around here.

We have been fancying a cruise for a while but have never done it for the following reasons :

Fear of sea sickness

Fear of being over crowded

Fear of unruly passengers spoiling the whole thing and having no escape (a colleague had a bad experience).

On the other hand we like the idea of nice surroundings, good food, dressing up and seeing different places. So...... the Azura has a Caribbean cruise in Nov 2010 and I have had a quick look at a balcony room on the Riviera deck JF grade, do you think it would be for us ?

Why wait over a year? Go on Ventura now which is an identical ship, except that Azura will have some difference in internal decor.

Seas are usually calm in the Caribbean so you should not have problems.

There are 3000 people on both ships but Ventura does not feel crowded to me and we have done two cruises on her. There are four formal nights in a two week period which is about right for the Caribbean. The advantage of P&O is that there are direct flights from most regional airports at sometime in the winter season but each cruise always has a Gatwick, Manchester and a midlands airport flight.

Alternatively try a short 7 day cruise from Southampton to see if you like it.

Brian

Hi Brian,

A small matter of a new kitchen and a trip to an exclusive retreat on Santorini fall between now and then !!! Also the idea of seeing the ship while it was still in new condition was appealing.

Another question while I remember..... what sort of a figure is the surcharge for eating in the speciality restaraunts ?

Another question while I remember..... what sort of a figure is the surcharge for eating in the speciality restaraunts ?

On Ventura, the standard prices are

Marco Pierre White £20 per person

East £15

Ramblas £5

However they often have lower prices if you go early before 7pm and sometimes half price offers. We went to East for £10 and it was very good.

In Ramblas there are also tapas available most of the day. Choice of any three of a menu of nine for £2.50. Very good for a light lunch.

The "standard" five course dinner in the main restaurants is very good and it is debatable whether it is worth spending extra. Worth doing maybe once in the cruise at the food is individually prepared and served. The MPW restaurant was fully booked most if not all nights on our cruise.

Brian

Archived