Dutch and French side shopping - do it all?

QLUVS2CRUZ

OK I've done some research...we are doing water activities in other ports, so I want to shop in St. Maarten. I'd like to take the water taxi - looks like I'm reading it gets close to the Philipsburg Front Street shopping...correct? What about the Philipsburg flea market? Are the flea market and Front Street close to each other? Within walking distance?

How is it to then get to Marigot? Do we take a cab or is there a water taxi there too? I have also read that the French side likes Euros...true? If so, do we need to get Euros or can we spend our American dollars on the French side too?

Any other good shopping/walking around tips?

Thanks!

To get to French side just go up to the main street on St Maarten, ask anyone where bus stops. From St Martin back, just flag them down on main drag, They are white smaller vans usually with sign on front window, only $2 each way. Went to marche on French side, might have been Sat.

The flea market in Philipsburg is within walking distance of Front St. and the water side market in Marigot is a couple blocks over from the main street. Just ask the bus driver which direction to walk (in Marigot). Very nice things there and a beautiful location on the water.

I like the flea market in Marigot much more than the one in Phillipsburg. The Marigot flea market is much larger with a wider variety of items offered.

We have always used US $ in Marigot when shopping.

Dianne

I liked the one in Marigot much better, too. Very scenic and the restaurant across the road had the best looking pastries. We used USD also, and we plan on returning in Dec. on the Celebrity Equinox. Next time we are going to take the bus to Marigot for more flexibility.

Archived