FLL Holiday Inn Express

Becca76

I'm still in the looking stage, but found this hotel that looks to be pretty convienent. This is my first cruise and I will be in the night before.

Is this a decent hotel. I see they have airport shuttle, but nothing to the port?

What is a cost for a cab to the port? I'm assuming I'll have to take one, but it does look close.

Also, I saw it is a stop for a bus or trolly service. Does anyone know about this? I'll be there on December 29th which is a Tuesday.

Are restaurants close, the beach, anything within walking distance?

Thanks! :)

I'm still in the looking stage, but found this hotel that looks to be pretty convienent. This is my first cruise and I will be in the night before.

Is this a decent hotel. I see they have airport shuttle, but nothing to the port? yes...good area...cab fare should be 10-15 bucks max

What is a cost for a cab to the port? I'm assuming I'll have to take one, but it does look close. see above

Also, I saw it is a stop for a bus or trolly service. Does anyone know about this? I'll be there on December 29th which is a Tuesday.www.suntrolley.com but it;s only on weekends...there is a public bus...google broward county public transit for info

Are restaurants close, the beach, anything within walking distance?

yes, plenty of restaurants and shopping, not the beach......

Thanks! :)

see above........you're welcome!

about 3 weeks ago. I struggled with a pre-cruise hotel as well. HIX was highly recommended and did not disappoint. Sun Trolley stops right in front of hotel about every 20 minutes. Took us to beach for $1.00. Cab fare to port is $12. Complimentary shuttle (10 passenger) to and from FLL operates 24 hours. Many nice restaurants nearby. Recommend Chuck's Steak House (within 1 block). Very clean accomodations and excellent breakfast. Manager Mark Smith and staff made our next pre-cruise hotel an easy choice.

Useful info on HIX. Just curious, Hal, did you fly from CMH? This is possible for me for some of my party is from Columbus. If you did what kind of rate did you get?

I am not Hal, but I am in Columbus...I am flying Airtran on Nov.7 to FLL and got RT for $189' I thought that was pretty good. I am staying over one nite aftwards also.

We just made our reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Ft. Lauderdale a few days ago. It's the air/sea port one on State Rd. 84. I spoke directly to the hotel and they offer a complimentary shuttle from the airport and also to the port.

We just made our reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Ft. Lauderdale a few days ago. It's the air/sea port one on State Rd. 84. I spoke directly to the hotel and they offer a complimentary shuttle from the airport and also to the port.

The HIE on S.R. 84 has almost nothing around it but other motels. The only table service restaurants are the Old Heidelberg a few blocks away and Lester's Diner a half mile away (I can't remember if there are sidewalks). The 17th St. location is much better. You can walk to about 2 dozen table-service restaurants, stores, and take one trolley or bus to the beach. You can even walk to the water taxi. The port is a $12 cab ride away.

We flew CLE to FLL on Continental. Booked for around $350 RT last July during the nutso fuel crisis. Wanted non-stop so that cost us more as well. Could have flown cheaper on AirTran out of CAK, but would have to connect in ATL. Peace of mind knowing (or hoping) that your luggage arrives with you was worth it IMHO. Was nice coming back at 11:30 and arriving home at 2:30. Becca, one more thing about HIX on 17th Street, there's a Walgreens about a block east of the hotel for all the stuff you forgot to pack. :) And, if you want to buy a bottle of wine to take on the ship, they have a nice selection. Not sure about other lines, but Celebrity allows one bottle of wine per person onboard. Not liquor ... just wine.

We just got back from a precruise stay here on Apr 3rd. We were disappointed and wished we had stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 down the street which was running a sale or had tried to get the Renaissance Marriott.

It was one of the older Holiday Inn Express we have ever stayed in. Lobby and halls smellled. Small older room. Elevator did not work on the day we checked out and we were on the 4th floor with our luggage - fortunately we could carry our own down the stairs but what about older travelers. Vending machines ate our money.

Location was good but not as good as the Embassy Suites which has shopping (wine, pharmacy, grocery) right behind it.

The airport shuttle was prompt - we cabbed it to the port as it was only a $15 ride for the 3 of us versus $8 a piece the hotel shuttle wanted. This area is very close to the airport so in the future I wouldn't make an airport shuttle be a requirement for my choice of hotels.

Unless you get a super low rate I would recommend staying at the Renaissance Marriott, Embassy Suites or Hyatt Pier 66 instead. Even the Extended Stay right next door looked nicer.

Archived