Port or starboard

Mrs Charmin

My first post - what fun!

If we take an inside passage cruise, should we book a cabin on the Port or Starboard side?

Also, should we book a balcony stateroom if we go in late June, or is it too cold to sit on the balcony?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading all about cruises to Alaska - our first time to Alaska and our second cruise (first was to the Caribbean).

Nina

Definitely book a balcony! Alaska is the one cruise where this is important. We went in late May, and although it was chilly some days, it was nice others. The scenery is so beautiful, you won't mind bundling up to see the sights, if it is cold! Dress in layers and you will be fine.

Whether to book Port or Starboard is not going to make too much difference. There is wonderful scenery from either side of the ship.

On the other hand, when you ship enters bays or fjords, I would suggest you not remain on your balcony (one-sided views, only) but rather head for the top deck where you can view both sides of the ship....

It doesn't matter which side, you have scenic sailing on both sides during the cruise. A PORT side cabin is necessary however< IF you ONLY want viewing from your cabin in Glacier Bay and College fjords. All the commentary and initial glacier viewing, which is usually longer is on that side. But best views in both areas is definately forward and on outside decks with the ability to move.

You will have to dress warm and don't count on any dining out on the balcony, hot food will be cold in a hurry. :)

I go cheap and often. So never book balconies. Be sure to budget for your touring, in my opinion you get only half a trip without it.

We enjoyed our balcony so much on our cruise. I can't imagine being in Alaska without it. One of my best memories is opening my eyes one morning, looking from my bed out the window, and seeing a foggy Ketchikan. Beautiful.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time!

Balcony is a MUST. We were on our balcony about 90% ot the time and it was late May... Starboard if going northbound, had scenery everyday except one on the way back.

Either way, Alaska is spectacular so enjoy the sights and nature as much as you can.

Archived