Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

[/u][/b]

You could also be getting your PVP into a whole lot of trouble doing what you're doing.

I know a PVP personally and know the kind of restrictions they face when it comes to talking to clients booked with TAs. They can--and some have in the past--lost their jobs for dealing with the clients of TAs.

Sure, the PVP could say "But the guest lied to me"...what happens if on this occasion--unlike the OP--Carnival sides with the guest instead of their employee?

Why would they be in trouble...I will book with them if I get a better price..no problem there.. I could always cancel with the TA as well...so I guess someone has to match someone's price. It happens all the time...They don't get my married surname btw, unless I book with them. All that will happen is that they didn't close the deal..they aren't going to be strung up and I don't take more than 5 minutes of their time. They are still a stockholder owned company last I checked and I have every right to call them and ask questions. Now what about the folks that book 2 or 3 cruises (before early saver) and then cancel? That is a bigger waste as those cabins are tied up and the PVP has spent way more time on them. As I said It is my money and by reading my signature, you can see that we DO NOT travel every other month like many posters do so thus we plan carefully.

I'm only down to page 5, so this may have been asked and answered. But....

When OP complained, twice, about the ridiculously short time between scheduled landing and scheduled departure, DID CARNIVAL SUGGEST HE PAY THE DEVIATION FEE TO FLY IN EARLIER OR DAY BEFORE? If they did, then obviously OP was a bonehead not to do it. I suspect, in fact I'm 99 percent certain, however, that THEY DIDN'T, and to me that means Carnival is completely at fault here. OP complained twice about the short time and both times was told "no problems, mon" and wasn't given information that might have fixed the problem before it ignited.

I agree Carnival is wrong here. The only problem I have is the date on the last letter, how can it be April 9, 2009?

"A satisfied customer tells 3 people, a dissatisfied customer tells 11." I think we just blew those statistics out of the water

Isn't that the same question that Carnival should be asking themselves when they book these flights?

Yes...and the TA should have been all over them about it.

They are getting off easy...why do you think they are offering him a discount? Because they know they dropped the ball.

:rolleyes:

Yes...and the TA should have been all over them about it.

They are getting off easy...why do you think they are offering him a discount? Because they know they dropped the ball.

:rolleyes:

I agree, and they are at least offering him something. More than can be said of Carnival.

Excuse me but you do not have to be a cheerleader or a rocket scientist to get the fact that you know when you flights leave and when your ship leaves. You do not have to be on this board to figure that out either. I would think when someone spends the amount of money that they do on a vacation they would make sure they understood just what is going on.

If you read the original post you will see that he called Carnival more than once to ask about the flight. They kept assuring him that there would not be a problem. Since Carnival made the reservation, and Carnival assured him that the flight would get there in plenty of time, how is a first time cruiser supposed to make the leap that Carnival is WRONG. And why, since they were wrong, shouldn't they at least provide the minor compensation of clothing for one night's dinner? Or waive the medical fee for his medication? Carnival charges $50 per person to make a change to the airline ticket. Why didn't they at least offer him that service when he expressed concern about the arrival time of his flight?

I hope he cruises again. I certainly understand why he will probably not cruise with Carnival again. Carnival has always treated me well, so I don't understand why they have chosen to fall on their sword over such a small (from their point of view) cost as a Tux voucher.

And I hope that if Pegs ever has problems on a cruise that she is met with more compassion than she is showing here.

Excuse me but you do not have to be a cheerleader or a rocket scientist to get the fact that you know when you flights leave and when your ship leaves. You do not have to be on this board to figure that out either. I would think when someone spends the amount of money that they do on a vacation they would make sure they understood just what is going on.

And I'm sure YOU knew EVERYTHING about your very first cruise too...please...:rolleyes:

I agree, and they are at least offering him something. More than can be said of Carnival.

The thing is he is holding them blameless and they are taking a back seat in his interaction with Carnival instead of being the driving force.

Carnival was and is wrong, but the TA is just as guilty and should be doing more instead of letting him bang his head against the wall.

They are playing the role of "good guy" by acting like they are doing him a favor by waving their fee on his next trip, while not doing much to help and letting Carnival take all of the blame, instead of owning up to their part of it and going to bat for him with Carnival.

Race's letters to Carnival were factual and well-written. I do feel Carnival should make some sort of "peace offering" as a gesture of good-will. I also feel that it wouldn't hurt to follow up this matter, and push it as far as possible. What does he have to lose? I am also curious to know the following: Race said there were others on his delayed flight in the same situation. I would love to hear what happened to them - did they take the cruise and hope their luggage would catch up? And if they did, did Carnival treat them any differently? Did they get any sort of compensation, or were they treated the same way - basically ignored?

Why would they be in trouble...I will book with them if I get a better price..no problem there.. I could always cancel with the TA as well...so I guess someone has to match someone's price. It happens all the time...They don't get my married surname btw, unless I book with them. All that will happen is that they didn't close the deal..they aren't going to be strung up and I don't take more than 5 minutes of their time. They are still a stockholder owned company last I checked and I have every right to call them and ask questions. Now what about the folks that book 2 or 3 cruises (before early saver) and then cancel? That is a bigger waste as those cabins are tied up and the PVP has spent way more time on them. As I said It is my money and by reading my signature, you can see that we DO NOT travel every other month like many posters do so thus we plan carefully.

You'd get them in trouble if you have a cabin reservation already held with a TA. Heck, if a guest has even SPOKEN to a TA, a PVP is supposed to back off the call--it's part of what Carnival does to protect their TA business. If you're working with a TA, a PVP is supposed to refer you to the TA immediately. If they don't, that is where they get in trouble.

I have both a TA and a PVP in my family so I know far more about all these things than I actually CARE to (heck, I'm the only one in my family that chose not to go into the travel industry...sometimes reading these posts on here or spending time with both of them reminds me why!)

I'm not saying it's wrong to research the prices. Absolutely, do it. We all do. But if you're already booked with or working with a TA, then know a little white lie COULD get an unsuspecting PVP in trouble. It probably won't--since Carnival technically could go back and listen to the call and hopefully hear you telling the PVP you're not booked with a TA--but what if they choose not to go through the trouble? It could get a PVP into hot water. Or at least get them in front of their boss. THAT'll waste their time a lot more than your phone call...

I'd suggest if you're wanting to check prices, ask the PVP first. Then call your TA. And don't reserve with anyone until you've got the deal you want. No one's saying don't shop around...but know that your little white lie could have consequences for someone just trying to do the best they can at their job...

The thing is he is holding them blameless and they are taking a back seat in his interaction with Carnival instead of being the driving force.

Carnival was and is wrong, but the TA is just as guilty and should be doing more instead of letting him bang his head against the wall.

They are playing the role of "good guy" by acting like they are doing him a favor by waving their fee on his next trip, while not doing much to help and letting Carnival take all of the blame, instead of owning up to their part of it and going to bat for him with Carnival.

To me the more alarming aspect is that Carnival doesn't seem to have any problem with how they are booking these flights even though it sounds like it has caused a lot of inconvenience in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

Ditto...I was starting to think I was the only one that felt that way about this. No doubt Carnival messed up...but the TA playing the White Knight rushing in on their steed to help isn't 100 % noble, in my opinion.

It's them trying to make sure the client doesn't realize THEY messed up too.

Again--that's just my thoughts on this. Either way--what the TA is doing is definitely a step in the right direction to at least make sure the OP gets SOMETHING for his trouble...

If you read the original post you will see that he called Carnival more than once to ask about the flight. They kept assuring him that there would not be a problem. Since Carnival made the reservation, and Carnival assured him that the flight would get there in plenty of time, how is a first time cruiser supposed to make the leap that Carnival is WRONG. And why, since they were wrong, shouldn't they at least provide the minor compensation of clothing for one night's dinner? Or waive the medical fee for his medication? Carnival charges $50 per person to make a change to the airline ticket. Why didn't they at least offer him that service when he expressed concern about the arrival time of his flight?

I hope he cruises again. I certainly understand why he will probably not cruise with Carnival again. Carnival has always treated me well, so I don't understand why they have chosen to fall on their sword over such a small (from their point of view) cost as a Tux voucher.

And I hope that if Pegs ever has problems on a cruise that she is met with more compassion than she is showing here.

I agree with everything you said. Some people act like it is a requirement to research every possible issue on CC before booking, when in fact most people have no idea CC even exists. I agree with your last paragraph too....jeeze!

20% discount is nothing to a major cruise company such as Carnival. They wouldn't even feel the loss. Just as they would not have felt the loss by lending tuxedos free of charge, and whatever else little tokens they could have extended.

Agreed. When I got to the part of letter #3 where he asked for 20 percent off his next Carnival cruise I was thinking, That's ALL? That would probably STILL give Carnival some profit, and just on the basic cruise fare, forget about all the extras that would presumably go on the S&S card.

20 percent off the next cruise reminded me of the sort of thing you get when some class action suit rewards all Microsoft Windows users a $5.00 rebate off their next purchase of MS Office or something. :rolleyes:

To me the more alarming aspect is that Carnival doesn't seem to have any problem with how they are booking these flights even though it sounds like it has caused a lot of inconvenience in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

alarming but not surprising. :rolleyes:

Remember...anyone in the travel industry that is any good is "probably" not working for a cruiseline.

:p

First of all the response letters were signed by two different people! Geez, you would think that the same person would be assigned to handle your complaints and see that they were resolved! There is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for something like this! They are one of the biggest cruiselines and in my opinion, your request of a 20% discount for your next cruise was more than a fair request! I am sure that they have comped cruises for much less than what you had just experienced! No luggage is a terrible thing to have to try and compensate for! Also, the behavior of the staff regarding the Tux rental was totally ridiculous! What on earth were they thinking as to not just give you guys the tux rental for free since they are one of the reasons that you didn't have your luggage in the first place. Plain and simple! They screwed up and are not willing to admit to it! Either there is some miscommunications somewhere or they just don't care! Frankly, I would not let this go (as I am sure they are hoping you will do). What kind of people do they have working in their President's office anyway? Incompentent is what comes to mind after reading those two letters. I have never worked for a huge corporation of their magnitude, however, I have worked in a similar capacity for other companies and KNOW for a fact that even one unhappy customer is one too many! I am so sorry that you had to go through something like this and hope that this has not soured you toward crusing again. I have done a few cruises in the past (2 with Carnival and 1 with Holland America) and am getting ready for my 4th one in 10 days. For me, there is no better vacation and I sincerely hope that you will try again in the near future (if not with Carnival, then with another line). Hope everything works out for you and I will be hoping that they finally will step up and admit their wrong doing and make things right for your family! Keep us posted as to how things turn out!;)

Tracey G

And I'm sure YOU knew EVERYTHING about your very first cruise too...please...:rolleyes:

You do not know me, and yes I did find out as much information as I could about our first cruise. I must have asked our TA a million questions. When I spend the amount of money I do on a cruise, you can bet I ask a lot of questions. I think to not ask the questions is a disservice to yourself.

Do not AssUme you know what I knew.

OP....good luck and ALWAYS write a real letter when handling expensive trips as an email doesn't go very far.

Checking the thread from here at work ..... It was a REAL letter but it was sent through a special TA email only account into Carnival as an attachment. Carnival suggested that also.

Dave

Has anyone copied this over to John's blog? I think he would be interested in reading this!

What is John's Blog ... feel free to copy my original posting !

Trying to go through what I missed in an hour and a half and answering questions.

The other two couples aren't pushing ... they figure they are the small person against the BIG company.

As far as asking for 20% compensation .... AGAIN ... it was their customer service department on the phone who said i will get nothing unless I ask for it specifically. It sounds like ( or maybe it is BS ) the phone people are reasonable to the customers but the decision makers don't care !

Reading on .....

You do not know me, and yes I did find out as much information as I could about our first cruise. I must have asked our TA a million questions. When I spend the amount of money I do on a cruise, you can bet I ask a lot of questions. I think to not ask the questions is a disservice to yourself.

Do not AssUme you know what I knew.

I assume nothing...... you assumed many things about the OP. He trusted Carnival and their ability to get them and their luggage to the pier on time, they (CARNIVAL) dropped the ball...is it wrong for them to admit that they are at fault? I don't think so and neither do a lot of other people here...you are in the minority. Let's hope nothing ever goes wrong on one of your cruises and you come here for compassion...:rolleyes:

HOW LONG ARE YOU ALL GOING TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE ???

I am taking the OPs post as truth...he had a REASONABLE expectation that Carnival would take good care of all arangements.. Why can't Carnival own up to the unfortunate mistakes...and make SOME SORT of compensation available..little as it may be to keep a repeat customer.

I work in the restaurant industry and we receive guest concerns frequently..some truthfull and some questionable...but they all get our full attention and at least an apology(if I handled a guest complaint as CCL did here I would not have a job!!!)..We have sailed CCL, RCCL, and NCL and have had great experiences and some less than great...This kind of response from CCL will make me think before I book with them again:eek:

Hey Dave, I am really sorry that you had a terrible terrible first time experience and hope that this will pass. I am also glad that you got a free vacation out of it from those clueless T/A that you are working with, hopefully you can get it right the next time.

Fred

Defending my TA ..... I am not sure if I told them about my flight concern as I trusted what Carnival had told me about the flight.

It is not a free vacation but one at their cost.

The problem I have is that he says he has a TA, but says he talked to Carnival. That is something that is a big No No. They will not talk to you. Does he have a TA or not. I still think we have not heard the whole story.

I did say I felt bad for the OP that he missed the ship. He has insurance, what more can Carnival do. They apparently have given him a discount on the next cruise.

....They apparently have given him a discount on the next cruise.

NO - Carnival has not given him a discount on his next cruise. They have not given him anything except stock form letters written by flunkies. His TA is going to forfeit her commissions on the next trip he books with them.

Archived