Diving in Belize

dsaurus

Does anyone know why it seems so expensive to dive in Belize and any options other than buying RCCL's excursions? I understand the time issue that the ships excursion will help with, but I was hoping to pay less than $165 for a two tank dive.

Does anyone know why it seems so expensive to dive in Belize and any options other than buying RCCL's excursions? I understand the time issue that the ships excursion will help with, but I was hoping to pay less than $165 for a two tank dive.

It has to do with the distance to the reef. The reef is about 1 hour by boat from the tender spot (not from shore) so the operators can only run one dive a day (instead of a morning/afternoon dive). The good news, the reefs are the healthiest in the Caribbean and not to be missed.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
It has to do with the distance to the reef. The reef is about 1 hour by boat from the tender spot (not from shore) so the operators can only run one dive a day (instead of a morning/afternoon dive). The good news, the reefs are the healthiest in the Caribbean and not to be missed.

Randall

Well, that just answered my question! We've been debating diving in Belize or Cozumel... Belize it is! :D

Have to disagree. Diving in Cozumel is much better. Diving with the ship in Belize will not get you to the best dive spots plus you have to enjoy cattle boat diving - not my thing.

If we do dive Belize it will be with an independent tour operator, not scheduled through the cruiseline. We're not into being herded around like cattle! :D

Did you find a good priced operator yet?

I haven't looked much yet as we still have time. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the kids while we dive. (to leave them on the ship or not) We'd like to do a one tank dive in the morning and still have time to go back to the ship, grab the kids and do something with them for the rest of the day.

Why? Got any recommendations? :D

I haven't looked much yet as we still have time. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the kids while we dive. (to leave them on the ship or not) We'd like to do a one tank dive in the morning and still have time to go back to the ship, grab the kids and do something with them for the rest of the day.

We are diving with Coral Breeze in July. I can let you know how it goes.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/scuba/diving/barrier/reef/current_category.15/Product.146/tours_add.html?t_product=146

Well, that just answered my question! We've been debating diving in Belize or Cozumel... Belize it is! :D

We got back just under a month ago and I was very disapointed in my Belize Diving, we enjoyed Cozomel and Grand Cayman much more.

Also do NOT buy any conch shells offered for sale in Belize, DH bought one and was told it had been carved and polished and taken weeks to do it, sadly the creature that inhabbited had not been out of the sea weeks, and boy did it make our cabin smell, it lived on the balcony the rest of the week and is still sitting in a bucket of bleach water now, if anyone knows how to make shells not smell of dead previous inhabitants please let me know.

We got back just under a month ago and I was very disapointed in my Belize Diving, we enjoyed Cozomel and Grand Cayman much more.

Who did you use for a Dive OP; the ship's contracted one or one you arranged for privately?

Please post back after you go. I'm on the same ship/itinerary as you, going in April. Would love to know what you do and how you like it.

On their schedule, they only go out Tu and Th, but seem to cater to cruises. I imagine when Carnival Dream starts going there on Wednesdays they'll go out then. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the information. I've heard good and bad about diving both places, Belize and Cozumel. I'm going to read some reviews online and try and make an informed decision. But hey, a bad day of diving is still better than a day of work! ;)

I'll keep you posted with regard to which operator I choose and how it went when I return. It can't come soon enough! :D

Cozumel is one of the best diving location in the world. There are >100 dive ops there, most of them good ops. There are also many that you can arrange with, as a cruiser.

Belize has very good diving. But the cruise ship has a long tender (15-20min.) to get to the cruise terminal. There are many a handful of ops, and not all can easily accommodate cruisers. That's the main challenge.

Or you can get to Ambegris Cay, then there are lots of dive ops to choose from. We actually arranged with a tour op, to drive us from the cruise terminal, fly to San Pedro (of Ambegris Cay), then dive from there. My wife and friends went on a separate snorkel boat, and had one of the best snorkel trips they had. One location was Shark Ray Alley in the Ho Chan Marine reserve.

Don't be scared of the name "Shark", they sharks there only eat 2 divers a week and by the time you get there they would've had their quota.:D

Cozumel is one of the best diving location in the world. There are >100 dive ops there, most of them good ops. There are also many that you can arrange with, as a cruiser.

Belize has very good diving. But the cruise ship has a long tender (15-20min.) to get to the cruise terminal. There are many a handful of ops, and not all can easily accommodate cruisers. That's the main challenge.

Or you can get to Ambegris Cay, then there are lots of dive ops to choose from. We actually arranged with a tour op, to drive us from the cruise terminal, fly to San Pedro (of Ambegris Cay), then dive from there. My wife and friends went on a separate snorkel boat, and had one of the best snorkel trips they had. One location was Shark Ray Alley in the Ho Chan Marine reserve.

Interesting information you've provided. We're really only interested in a one tank dive, so time is a factor for us. We'd like to spend some of the time at port with our kids.

All very good information... keep it coming! :)

we stayed in san pedro/amberges cay and loved it. went with a local..lil alfonze. quite a character! will hold a nurse shark under each arm and a ray on his head. they are ery used to him. ho chan reserve is beautiful and we also went out to the blue hole. we snorlekel around the hole the divers went in. extra cost for the preserve. on the way back we saw 40 to 50 dolphins playing. the guy stopped he boat and we quietly got in the water with our snorkel gear...WOW there must have been hundreds of them under the surface you couldnt see from above:) amazing!! have fun!

We're doing an excursion through Coral Breeze. 2 in our family dive and will do a 2 tank dive the other 2 will be dropped off at Bannister Island. Then we all meet up again on Bannister before heading back to the port. I guess it depends on the ages of your kids, but mine are late teens so this works great for our family.

If you are looking for a quick 2 dive trip, Cozumel is the best bet and will be cheaper than Belize. The viz will be 200 feet in Coz. The coral is really pretty and extensive with the usual array of coral fish.

The problem with Belize is that the really good diving is a good ways offshore. You will have to ride out at least an hour or more depending on where you boarded and are going. The viz is not as good maybe in the 60 foot range or so. You will see not only the usual coral fish but also other larger fish in Belize. As others pointed out the number of private dive shops is very limited where the ship's tenders will land. Ambergis Cay has more dive operators and is a good bit closer to the good diving spots but take note that you will need to fly out to it.

I dived Belize two years ago and will be diving it again in June. Both times on a liveaboard for a week. Four dives a day and an occasional night dive. Last time when we did dive the blue hole, I was sitting in the salon eating breakfast and glanced out the window as we motored into location for the dive. I saw the first of the arrival of divers in their small boats all sitting uncomfortably but probably thinking about the dive ahead. It was much more comfortable where I was.

Happy diving

We have been cruise ship diving to Belize three times - the first time with the cruise ship excursion (which was fine), the second time with SeaSports, and the third time, we went back with SeaSports, hands down.

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/cruiseshipdiving.html

Yes, it's a teeny bit more trouble - you have to tender in, then walk around the corner and down half a block. BUT, it's worth every bit of having to get up half an hour early. Their dive sites are closer in than the ones that the shorex used, and quite a bit healthier and prettier. Of course, YMMV.

The first time, SeaSports was able to take us to the ship directly (RCCL), and the second time, they dropped us off on the tender dock (CCL). We have been doing the southern routes since, so I don't know if they can do the ship drop-off now or not.

As soon as we head back west - we are going to dive with SeaSports.

Have a great time wherever you dive!

Wendy

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

Thanks for the info W&K - due to the swine flu "aporkalypse" we were rerouted to Belize instead of Cozumel. It looks like CCL is not going to offer any diving so we booked with SeaSports.

Archived