How strict are the teen clubs on age?

DTC

We are cruising with another couple in Feb. There child is 15, ours is 14.

Will they be able to hang out together?? Maybe the 15 yr old can go into the 12-14 yr old group? Do they check ages??

Will they be able to hang out together?? Maybe the 15 yr old can go into the 12-14 yr old group? Do they check ages??

They are very strict with ages. If your 14 year old is within 3 months of his/her birthday they will let him/her go up. If not, then they'll have to stay in the 12-14 year group.

They are very strict and rigid on the age thing. They may - and I say MAY - make an exception if within a month or 2 of the age restriction but other than that no way. They may be your childs sibling but not everyone elses. I know they especially will not let them go down a group but I have heard they have gone up a group but the only time I saw that happen was when a friends daughter and friend were three weeks difference in age. I have heard people argue and complain for them to make an exception but their reasoning and justifiably so, if they do it for one they have to do it for everyone. Sorry, but this has just been my experience - someone else may have had another experience. I think that it is good that they stand firm at least on this rule.

They can never go down a level? My daughter will have turned 12 the day before the cruise, but I'm not ready to throw her in with 14 year olds, especially the boys. You don't think she can hang withthe 9-11's?

Yes they are strict. For every camp carnival couselor that allows a child to go down (or up) an age group, there is another that says "NO".

We can't predict what your counselor will say.

I see it all the time on the family board. The only advice I can give is to ask NICELY. The counselor has total control over this. So for every one that has said yes, the next has said no. ;)

So prepare the kids that they may be separated. It all depends on the couselor you ask, the amount of kids on a particular sailing and if they are in a good mood that day. ;)

There are no guarantees.

Unfortunately, each ship (or Club O2 Director) makes the final call. And their determination depends on many factors.

Yes, the rule is 15-17. But they "might" (not guaranteed) make an exception for the 14 year old IF the 14 year old is in high school. If they are, have them bring their high school ID.

Please understand that this question is asked on every cruise (especially during the summer) so they are use to dealing with it.

If one age group is crowded and another is not...they are not going to add another child into an already crowded situation.

The only rock solid rule is no one under the age of 2 and no one over the age of 17.

All the ages in between are flexible. Club O2 is probably the least flexible because they are dealing with "teenagers".

Go the Club O2 orientation....explain the situation and ask for the exception.

They do have a manifest with all the eligible teens names and ages on it.

This manifest is checked before they put the Club O2 sticker on the Sail and Sign card.

These Directors (like everyone at Carnival) wants you to have the best cruise possible...but sometimes the answer is no. IF it is no, please understand that they have their reasons.

It definetly depends on the counsoler or club 02 director.

When we sailed last september I had a 13, 16 and 17 yr old.

The 13 yr old wanted ot hang out with her older cousin and did not want to with her age group after going to the orientation.

We spole to Lonny the Club 02 director and since there wasn't even 100 kids on the ship, and she does look alot older than she actually is, he said it was fine with him and if anyone asks she is 15.

So it is really a hit and miss on how strict they are. I think it really depends on how many kids are on your sailing.

They can never go down a level? My daughter will have turned 12 the day before the cruise, but I'm not ready to throw her in with 14 year olds, especially the boys. You don't think she can hang withthe 9-11's?

But it depends on the person in charge. It is like the drinking age, either you are 21 or not. They will occasionally go up but I have never seen it go down. 1 day, 3 days, 8 days, where do they draw the line. It is at day 1 from what I have heard but never hurts to try - besides my son was 14 at one time and he could have very easily gone into the 9-11s for all of his maturity. Don't sweat it - it will be okay.

My youngest son is 8 and my nephew is 9. Per carnival two different groups. When I asked carnival I was told that it was a slim chance that my son could move up to the next group. Once on board I have to contact the camp carnival folks. It is based on the number of kids in each group for the cruise. If there aren't a lot of kids in my nephews group then he may and they stressed may be able to move up. However they told me that it most likely wouldn't happen so don't count on it.

They are very strict, they wouldn't let me in and Im 44 :eek:

Fred

I guess we will have trouble too. We will be cruising with a 7,10,11,12 and 13 yr old. The 10&11 yr old will be together and the 12 & 13 yr old will be together but my 7 yr old won't be with his brother and he will be upset:(.

I guess we will have trouble too. We will be cruising with a 7,10,11,12 and 13 yr old. The 10&11 yr old will be together and the 12 & 13 yr old will be together but my 7 yr old won't be with his brother and he will be upset:(.

My 8 and 10 year old were seperated on this last trip. They were fine with that. Sometimes they end up in the same age group, and sometimes they don't. They are looking forward to being in the same group next year.

I am traveling with my boys 14 and 16 July. I am going to ask REALLY NICELY if my 14 year old can move up. He will be 15 in Oct. If you saw him you wouldn't want him with your 12 year old . He is 5"11' and 170 lbs. and shaves. He is also very mature(most of the time). He has always been hanging with his brother and older kids. His best friend is 17.

How do they determine the kids age?If its with the fun pass thing you fill out it would be real easy to make a kid a year older.I doubt they make the kids show their ID,do they?

The information you put in your Fun Pass must match your "documents" at the time of check in. (Passports or Birth Certificates)

Trying to falsify information would mean they "could" refuse you boarding...and I don't think getting into a certain age group of Camp Carnival is worth losing your cruise over.

I am traveling with my boys 14 and 16 July. I am going to ask REALLY NICELY if my 14 year old can move up. He will be 15 in Oct. If you saw him you wouldn't want him with your 12 year old . He is 5"11' and 170 lbs. and shaves. He is also very mature(most of the time). He has always been hanging with his brother and older kids. His best friend is 17.

Is he already in high school or going into 9th grade in August? If so, bring any paperwork as proof of that.

It is harder getting exceptions during the summertime because the ships have more kids onboard. But it can still be done....

and you are right on target with the "really nice" part. You will be amazed at how many parents come in "demanding" the rules be set aside for them and then they can't figure out why the answer was no???

He will be at the HS in Sept.

Mom always says "you get more with honey than with vinegar"

Your Mom is correct. Take some piece of paper (perhaps his upcoming schedule) or something that shows he is going into high school.

Also, a friend of mine will be the ACD on the Pride when you sail. Her name is Jaime and she is a WONDERFUL young lady.

If you get the chance...introduce yourself and get to know this great young lady. She is a hoot. Tell her DJ's Mom said HI!!

Archived