Dollars vs Pounds

Q-step

We purchased OBC for our Princess cruise in July this year, having looked last August. We received $2 to the £ and when I queried what would happen if we had to cancel I, also, was told that the pre purchased OBC would be refunded to our credit/debit card initially used. It was also explained that if was not classed as a cash advance on our card so would not therefore incur cash advance charge. It would also not show on our account until on board and was classed as a suprise gift. (My purchase has now appeared as £350 entry on my credit card statement for the $700 purchase). I was told to print a copy of this and take it with me on board to show that I had made this purchas. She also confirmed that the $700 has been split between the two passengers occupying the cabin.

I have, however, make the point to taking the name of the persons I spoke to and dated and timed the conversation, as I was warned before speaking that 'all calls are recorded.

irisheyes, I am only sorry we will pass like ships in the night so to speak - I disembark QM2 on the 8 May for my stay in NYC & then you board!

many thanks once again & have a great crossing. Only 3 weeks today & I will be on board!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Is it possible to book OBC online? I've been searching their website and the 'Personalise Your Voyage' site but can't find anywhere to do this. I'm hoping to get a good rate as I booked last October.

Gari

Gari, I can't find anything either, and would be inclined to ring them on Tuesday - at least then you can double check the rate they are offering at the same time. As Irisheyes says, OBC is classified as a gift: you will be asked what you would like written on the accompanying gift card - 'to me, from me'?

Mary

Thanks from me too, Irisheyes. :) I have just got off the phone from Cunard. I too have received the 1.89 rate, despite only booking in Jan this year. Brilliant! The girl told me this was the rate before I gave her my booking ref. Luckily it didn't change

Sarah

I have just checked the rate, it is $1.47 to the £. Just wondered how soon Cunard take the amount from the credit card. Cunard are giving a really good deal at $1.89. Thanks Catherine

I have just checked the rate, it is $1.47 to the £. Just wondered how soon Cunard take the amount from the credit card. Cunard are giving a really good deal at $1.89. Thanks Catherine

Took two days for it to appear on my credit card.

Thank irish i got 1.89 too and will enjoy myself on the QV in a weeks time best news i have had in ages what i put on my obc plus what Cunard gave me when i booked means a pleasant trip for sure

I agree Mary, thanks again irisheyes, when I purchased my obc on saturday I asked why I'd not heard about this before & the lady at Cunard UK bypassed this question but in asking my Travel AGent the same question it is apparently only a recent thing? Can anyone confirm this?

Kind Regards,

Richard

A great big thank you to Irisheyes for this wonderful saving. We are travelling next Monday on QV and we have a party of four. All members have taken advantage of this information and has made such a great saving. This means we can enjoy the cruise and not worry how much the next bottle of champagne is going to cost!!

Simon

Glad so many have taken advantage of this good deal. Hope you all enjoy your trips. Now we're watching the rate locally for $ spending money while in NYC pre-crossing. Yesterday $1.46 in London so it has gone up a bit. Hope it's not just a fluke.

A point that has been mentioned before but I think it is worth a reminder. Credit cards issued by Nationwide and The Post Office do not attract the exchange commission on purchases. Your Cunard bill will count as a purchase.

Last year, as I had some medical treatment the commission I paid on my bill was £80 using Barclaycard.

Gari

Hi Maxcom,

Yes we are on the same cruise. I am travelling with three others who are all experienced with Cunard. Last one we did together was on QE2 last April.

It would great to meet up and celebrate our little deal that we got from Cunard. We are in two A5 cabins on 5 Deck and are dinning Second Sitting in Britannia.

Let me know if you would like a drink during the voyage.

Simon

Hi Maxcom,

Yes we are on the same cruise. I am travelling with three others who are all experienced with Cunard. Last one we did together was on QE2 last April.

It would great to meet up and celebrate our little deal that we got from Cunard. We are in two A5 cabins on 5 Deck and are dinning Second Sitting in Britannia.

Let me know if you would like a drink during the voyage.

Simon

Go to the roll call and arrange a meeting. It's usually the day after leaving southampton in one of the bars.

Glenn.

A point that has been mentioned before but I think it is worth a reminder. Credit cards issued by Nationwide and The Post Office do not attract the exchange commission on purchases. Your Cunard bill will count as a purchase.

Gari

And another little reminder is that Nationwide starts charging on non-European card use next month, though I gather the charges will not be as high as other card providers. Saga is, I believe, another one that doesn't charge, but we're all far too young for that.:)

Mary

And another little reminder is that Nationwide starts charging on non-European card use next month, though I gather the charges will not be as high as other card providers. Saga is, I believe, another one that doesn't charge, but we're all far too young for that.:)

Mary

Of course you are N.B. How could anybody think else?

Gari

Archived