Embarkation - Baggage?

laur1005

My Husband and I are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver this May with only carry-on-size suitcases, NO large luggage. When we board the ship, are we allowed to keep our bags with us? Or do we have to give it to a member of the Princess staff who then takes it to our room? I'd rather keep it with us and not have to pay anyone to take it one the boat for us, if possible. But being our first cruise, I am not sure yet how this works....

thanks for any help!

My Husband and I are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver this May with only carry-on-size suitcases, NO large luggage. When we board the ship, are we allowed to keep our bags with us? Or do we have to give it to a member of the Princess staff who then takes it to our room? I'd rather keep it with us and not have to pay anyone to take it one the boat for us, if possible. But being our first cruise, I am not sure yet how this works....

thanks for any help!

It is not a problem to take your luggage onboard as long as it will fit through the scanner. You must also be able to manage stairs and such without help. Chances are if you can manage it through an airport and through security at an airport you will be just fine.

Enjoy your Alaska Cruise it is a favorite of ours.

thanks for any help!

Carry-on luggage can be carried on.... just make sure that they can fit through an X-ray machine. If not, they'll have to be checked...

And no, you won't have to "pay" anyone to carry bags to your cabin. If you check your luggage, they just magically show up at your cabin door within a couple hours of embarking.

As has been said, if you can carry your luggage onto a plane and store it in the overhead compartment, you can carry it onto the ship. The X-ray machines used when boarding the ship are very similar.

One thing to be aware of is that just about everyone has the porters take their luggage so when they board, they have only a small carry-on. Even with that, the elevators get very, very crowded so if you bring anything other than a small carry-on, you should probably consider taking the stairs to your cabin.

Archived