Brittania Dining--Upper level

ChansonDeLaMer

What are the advantages, disadvantages of requesting a table on the upper versus lower level of the Brittania dining room. Thanks.

Hi.

I will assume you are talking about QM2. If it's information about QV/QE your after, then others may have the answers.

You will find we all have different preferences and opinions about which level is favourite.

Firstly remember that this is only for the evening meal. If you decide to take breakfast and/or luncheon in the Britannia Restaurant then you would normally sit at a table on the lower level (as they do not often open the upper level for these meals). Each time you take breakfast or lunch here you could be seated in a different area of the lower level, giving you lots of differing views!

So, by requesting a table on the upper level for dinner, you can have a complete change for the other meals. This gives you the experience of eating on both and may influence your table request on your next voyage.

For dinner, I have been placed on the upper level for three voyages and once on the lower deck. I didn't request these tables, it's just how it worked out. I prefer the upper level. This is mainly because...

Sometimes, I've met up with family or friends in the Chart Room and this bar is right outside the upper level of the restaurant.

Because the upper level has various tiers or platforms, I find a table here feels more intimate, secluded, personal, and there are many tables for two. Downstairs is all on one level and, to me, it can feel a little like a vast (but very smart, esp on a formal night!) canteen.

If you are on a table near the "well" you have great views down onto the lower level and this somehow adds something to the dining experience.

On the other, if you are seated near the windows upstairs, you can feel a little remote or cut off from the rest of the room.

The Captain and his officers dine on the lower level on formal nights, on the one voyage where I was placed on the lower level I was lucky enough to be seated at an officers table. Had I been on the upper level I would have missed this.

If I were requesting a table position it would always be on the upper level simply because I know I will be downstairs for the other meals!

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time! Best wishes

The upper level of the restaurant is a lot warmer than the lower because of heat rising, sometimes this can be good but also on other times, not so good. My choice would be the lower personally, which shows the diversity of opinions on this site.

If one is on the upper level, it is a long tumble to the very bottom. . . . Not a problem on smooth seas, unless the heat makes you light-headed.

However, the fun was in that they served whole peas . . . not, the mashed. Start flicking whole peas over the balcony . . . it is great fun . . . especially if the stakes are for a bottle of wine for the table, that way everyone can get involved.

Bear in mind, there is effectively two upper levels. The uppermost level has windows on the outer row and a bolcony on the inner and with a bit of luck you may get to see a sunset while eating your dinner. The next level down is about 5 to 6 feet below the upper level and has many tables for two and a balcony that overlooks the lower level. I have dinned on all levels and can really say that I did not dislike any of them. Again assuming QM2. I have only been on the QV once and dinned lower level so cannot really comment as to the other levels.

We dined with friends one evening on the upper level. (QM2)Two couples had moved from their table as they didn't like it. They were second row in a smallish area, nothing to see and I felt a bit hemmed in. Some did prefer it though.. We have had tables on the balcony on HAL ships. Looking down everyone seemed to be having more fun than us...probably me that has grass is greener syndrome:)

Looking down everyone seemed to be having more fun than us...probably me that has grass is greener syndrome:)

Funny, I am quite comfortable looking down on everyone.:eek: Maybe that is why there is only one level in QG and PG?:D (ducks)

Our table for six was right in front of the beautiful tapestry. I felt very special sitting there. I also had a perfect view of the string quartet that was seated upstairs. It also allowed you to see the spaciousness of the dining room. It was lovely!:)

I prefer the lower level. On a back-to-back I dined on the lower level and the following week moved upstairs to the upper level. I found it seemed airless at times and also very noisy.

Archived