'Freedom' tours

cruisinlawn

I've already posted/searched on the ports forum but not much going on over there. I am trying to generate some responses regarding Panama tours. Specifically the canal ferry tour vs the two oceans by rail tour.

I have read the ferry is 2hr bus ride, 2hr ferry ride(no a/c), and another 2hr bus ride. Also read no facilities on bus, not sure of a/c issue on bus. Anyone know anything bout the train? Curious of a time line, a/c, etc. I have read that some take the train one way then motorcoach on the return while others have road the train roundtrip. Seems it depends on the train schedule and there is no pattern that I have found.

Anyway, trying to make last minute plans for our May sailing. Thanks for any input.

Just did the ferry ride through the canal two weeks ago. It is correct that it's a bus ride, ferry ride then bus ride back to the ship. However, the length of the ferry ride is very dependent upon traffic in the canal. The ferry also had a delay in departing, as one of the buses had a flat tire on the way to the canal.

Our tour was to meet in the lounge at 6:45 am. You get a number of the bus you are to get on and then wait for your number to be called. We probaby got off the ship around 7:15 a.m. I don't remember exactly how long the ferry ride was. Everyone was to be back on board at 3:30 with the ship to leave at 4:00. Our bus did not get back to the ship until 4:05! Luckily, it was a ship sponsored excursion-so they waited on everyone (there were 10 buses!)

The canal tour was interesting. Ferry was fairly crowded. They do serve a lunch on board with free sodas and water. You can purchase beer for $2.00 each. There is a small area on the bottom deck that is air conditioned. Most people we saw in there were handicapped.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them!

Elisabeth,

Thanks for posting. Do you have any pictures of your trip? Is there seating on the ferry? Is there a bathroom on the bus? What was the lunch that they served? What kind of wildlife did you see? Anything that you would recommend taking along?

Sewut

We did the ferry ride in January. There was a 2 hour bus ride each way, but it was through interesting country side. The bus was air conditioned, but there were no bathrooms. It took us about 3 1/2 hours to do the actual transit. We got back to the ship at 3:30 and had time to shop.

They use 3 or 4 different ferries, depending on how many ships/people are signed up for the excursion. There was plenty of seating on our ferry, but most folks moved around to look at things. We were not really close enough to the shore to see any wild life.

The passage was very smooth, and I did not need motion sickness meds (I take them before dance classes, so I am pretty sensitive.) There wasn't much traffic on the day we went through, so I suspect more traffic would cause more waves.

The lunch was chicken skewers, little sandwiches, a pasta dish, funny little sausages in sauce (like frank and beans, without the beans) and a muffin. It wasn't anything to write home about, but fine.

Overall I enjoyed the tour and would recommend it. I would even do it again, if the opportunity arose.

Friends of ours aren't into small boats, so they took the train ride and loved it. Their trip was a one way. My understanding is that it depends on how many people are booked-if they have a lot, one way, if they have a few, round trip. So I don't think you would know until you got there.

They were in the domed car and got to see a lot of the canal on the way. They also stopped at one of the locks and saw our ferry going through. They felt the food they got was minimal and were glad they took granola bars with them.

Then have recommended this tour to friends, and the friends loved it too.

I'm still working on uploading my pics from the trip. (Sorry, but I'm not a great photographer). No bathrooms on the buses. There was quite a bit of seating on the ferry - it's just folding metal chairs. Some inside with a/c. Some outside... in and out of the sun. Did not see any wildlife at all.

The canal in under construction. It's in the process of being expanded so lots of bulldozers, etc.

Lunch was fresh fruit, sandwiches, pasta, some kind of meat dish and a muffin.

There should not be any worries about sea sickness. The ride is quite slow and very calm. Think paddling along in a large swimming pool.

Any other questions, let me know.

Archived