Electrical Sockets

MandE-UK

Hi,

we are are Star Princess in October and are unsure of how many power supplies there are in an outside or balcony cabin. Are they for instance the two pin flat US type ones? Is it worth taking a multi extension for recharging cameras etc? We would be grateful if some experienced Princess Cruiser could help out.

We were in a mini on the Ruby last week. The only socket in the bathroom was for shavers only and there were two sockets at the desk. We plugged in an extension cord for DH's CPAP and ran it to the other side of the bed to the nightstand for him. The other one at the desk I used for my hair dryer and curling iron. There was also one extra plug behind each TV that we used for laptop and camera charging.

One thing I didn't remember (and I did read about it here a while back) is that there is no clock by the bed. I had to leave my watch in the bathroom and go in there during the night to see what time it was.

I imagine there would be one less outlet in a balcony or outside since there is only one TV.

On Princess ships, there are 2 US style outlets and 2 UK style outlets by the desk. There is a dual style razor outlet in the bathroom.

There are UK syle outlets by the bed that the lights on the nightstand are plugged into.

On Princess ships, there are 2 US style outlets and 2 UK style outlets by the desk. There is a dual style razor outlet in the bathroom.

There are UK syle outlets by the bed that the lights on the nightstand are plugged into.

We didn't spot any UK sockets on the Star Princess. The shaver socket in the bathroom was the wrong size to fit the european shaver plug we had.

All the sockets on the desk and around the cabin were American 2 pin at 110 volt. There was also 1 round european style socket (under the bar area), that appeared to be 230 ish volts as it just about charged our tooth brush.

Luckly we packed a generic adaptor pack so had both American and Euro ones with us.

The only ship I have sailed on with Princess that had both U.S. and U.K. outlets by the desk was the Sea Princess, never seen these on any other ship in the fleet.:confused:

I always bring a power strip or multi-outlet extension cord. I have so many chargers, radios, etc that they would never all fit into the outlets without one.

The outlet in the bathroom is sufficient for my shaver and on a few cruises we brought a shower radio that fit in there also.

Enjoy,

F

We just got off the Sapphire. The desk has two U.S.-style two-prong outlets (120V). It will not accept three-prong (grounded) plugs. The two outlets are very close together. I recommend bringing a short (6-foot) two-prong extension cord with three outlets. You can buy this at any discount store for < $2. If you have any three-prong devices, you will need an adapter.

Most outlet strips are three-prong. They also weigh more than an extension cord. If you bring an outlet strip, you may also need a three to two-prong adapter.

The plug-in in the bathroom is limited to 20 VA (< 20 Watts). I didn't check this on Sapphire, but on Celebrity, the bathroom outlet shuts off when the bathroom light is turned off.

I did not check the outlets behind the furniture. But, I'm guessing they are 230V, based on the markings on the light-bulb in the bed-side lamp.

I have not been on the other Princess ships. But, I have been on Celebrity. They have almost the same outlet configuration.

We just got off the Sapphire. The desk has two U.S.-style two-prong outlets (120V). It will not accept three-prong (grounded) plugs. The two outlets are very close together. I recommend bringing a short (6-foot) two-prong extension cord with three outlets. You can buy this at any discount store for < $2. If you have any three-prong devices, you will need an adapter.

Most outlet strips are three-prong. They also weigh more than an extension cord. If you bring an outlet strip, you may also need a three to two-prong adapter.

The plug-in in the bathroom is limited to 20 VA (< 20 Watts). I didn't check this on Sapphire, but on Celebrity, the bathroom outlet shuts off when the bathroom light is turned off.

I did not check the outlets behind the furniture. But, I'm guessing they are 230V, based on the markings on the light-bulb in the bed-side lamp.

I have not been on the other Princess ships. But, I have been on Celebrity. They have almost the same outlet configuration.

On Princess, the bathroom plugin does not shut off when the light goes out. We always bring along a nite lite, and it fits perfectly in the shaver outlet with the low wattage. Only hint is that both prongs must be equal on the nite lite, one can not be wider than the other, or you need an adapter to plug it in. ;) Works great because the bathrooms are always so dark, and perfectly if someone needs to get up in the middle of the night. :)

I know the Sea Princess had an outlet under the little wooden shelf by the bathroom. You almost had to be sitting on the floor to see it.

Another issue for some of the plugs is that they are in confined spaces and cannot handle the large transformer plugs on the ends of some of our chargers. So we always take these extenders with us to use there.

TRPA1PU.jpg

We didn't spot any UK sockets on the Star Princess. The shaver socket in the bathroom was the wrong size to fit the european shaver plug we had.

All the sockets on the desk and around the cabin were American 2 pin at 110 volt. There was also 1 round european style socket (under the bar area), that appeared to be 230 ish volts as it just about charged our tooth brush.

Luckly we packed a generic adaptor pack so had both American and Euro ones with us.

I agree. There certainly weren't any UK sockets in our mini-suite on the Diamond. If we hadn't brought a UK/US adaptor nothing would have worked. The Sea Princess has many clients from the UK which is why it most probably has dual sockets.

Ros

Archived