Are balconies important?

CcMookie

Just returned from Scenic Diamond (Budapest to Amsterdam). Although we had low water in the Danube we made it through and it was an amazing cruise. I chose this cruise line because of the balcony. I really like private time and knew that the small space on these boats wouldn't allow it. I also need to have fresh air and see the sky. We all have different needs (and phobias) so the extra cost for the balcony was worth it. My husband, on the other hand, would have preferred more room in the cabin so that we could have had chairs.

We used our balcony quite a bit as the weather was glorious (Sept. 14-28). We had a great afternoon docked in Cologne (our anniversary) sqeezed on our little deck with four good friends, drinking champagne and waving at the world going by. I think it just depends on what gives you joy, whether or not you have a balcony.

We were tied up beside only one boat and that was the last night in Amsterdam. It was a bit creepy, but only because the two boats seemed to trap diesel fumes between them. When we brought it up with the staff, it was handled pretty quickly, somehow, by our Captain. Yeah Zoltan!!

About Scenic Cruises (other criticisms on this board) ... we were very happy with the cruise. The boat was lovely and new. The staff were amazing - friendly, funny, hard-working. The Cruise Director (Werner) was a bit OTT at times, but that was a great benefit when we got into the low water problem. He kept smiling and leaping around and made sure everyone felt confident about our progress on the river. The food, as in all holidays, became a bit dull by the end, but you can be anywhere in the world on holiday and that happens. You really just want to make your own BLT, don't you? The excursions were excellent (a bit slow for me, but I think I may have been the youngest and thinnest on the cruise); always on time, good guides, wonderful locations. The wine was just fine and lots of it! There's always a few "Whiners" on any holiday, aren't there? My only "whine" would be the way the closets were arranged ... how does a woman hang up a dress? I can't even imagine how some of the people with hip and knee problems were able to ever use the safe. But, all in all, it was a memorable trip. Some of our other "sailers" on this trip may not have seen things as we did, but that's life. Viva la difference!!

just back from the Blue Danube via the Tapestry. Had deck 3 french balcony. DEFINITELY RECOMMEND the top deck if you're doing the Danube - 120+ locks scraping through on the bottom deck in the middle of the night! And, those on deck 2 in the very back heard the scraping plus the door open for the crew going to the bridge.

Archived