I'm going to "walk to the ship"--wanna join me?

ngl116

• 1 month later...

Glad I dug deep on this board and found this! I'm getting tired of the gym and workout videos. So this will be interesting. I plan on getting a heart rate monitor (for the gym and workout videos) and I think now I will get a pedometer to track how far I walk/jog (<--I hope!).

It is 1261 from my house to the Port of Miami, and I have until November 2010 :D so I'm sure I can get that done! mmm (math in head...) about 2 or 3 miles a day. I used to do that easily and pretty quickly when I was about 30lbs heavier last year. This is a great idea. Gives you something to look forward to at the end of the long walk and racing yourself to get it all done before the cruise....I like challenging myself lately with workouts so this will be fun.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to lose about 15 lbs before my Nov 4, 2009 cruise. But what I really need to do is start a healthier lifestyle. So I'm going to walk to the ship. My departure port is about 1000 miles from my home. So...if I walk approx 5 miles each day, I will have walked to my ship =) yeah, I know that's a heck of a lot, I'll be VERY happy with 3 miles a day.

I know this will help keep me focused, and it will also probably help me watch what I'm putting in my mouth and how much. I've had a very poor say so far, so I better get outside and start walking!

Pleas join me in walking to the ship, and we can keep each other accountable for the exercise we are supposed to be doing each day.

Remember, walking is healthy, safe, and FREE!:D

This is a great idea. My DH is a serious runner and he has a big map of the US that he marks all his runs on. We are in IL and he has 'run' all over the country.

Also, we leave from San Juan next month. Sorry I didn't find this thread earlier.

Kim

Great idea :rolleyes: I don't know how far my port is the airport is about 20 miles I live in Miami, Fl and the port is in Seward, Alaska don't think I can make it there in time we have 34 days. BUT I am going to start today with 3 miles a day and add on a little each day. Thanks for getting me moving want to drop 10 lbs before cruise. :eek:

Just found this thread today and I thought I would join all of you. I'm walking from Grand Rapids Michigan to the Port of Miami which is approx. 1380 miles. To do that I would have to walk almost 11 miles a day which wont work so I'll just have to do my best. My mom & sister decided today that we were starting a 12 week weight loss adventure so this gives me the motivation to get started. See you along the way! :D

• 2 months later...

Was looking around today and came across this thread. Wondering where everyone has went? I wish I had found this earlier in the year. I completed my walk to the Miami port this morning!! 626.5 miles. I have lost 30 lbs and hoping to lose 10 more before 12/6/09 cruise. I feel so much better and love that I can get into my smaller clothes again. It would have been so neat to compare stories and motivation back and forth with everyone. Now going to cut back to 2 miles a day instead on 3.5 miles and do more strenght training. Hope to get to some of those muscles that walking doesn't get to.

Look forward to seeing some updates from people!

Was looking around today and came across this thread. Wondering where everyone has went? I wish I had found this earlier in the year. I completed my walk to the Miami port this morning!! 626.5 miles. I have lost 30 lbs and hoping to lose 10 more before 12/6/09 cruise.

Look forward to seeing some updates from people!

Congratulations! I just got up to 2.5 miles a day today. I hope to get up to 3 or 4 miles per day in the next month. So, I will be on this thread now!

My next cruise leaves from Venice in April. I better get walking!:)

WOW love this idea. very creative. I will have to look into how many miles it is from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. I think I might give this a try.

Keep up the good work everyone, and don't forget to stay hydrated.

Morning everyone,

Happy Easter! I took a jog yesterday, I'll have to drive my route in my car to see how far I went. I'm battling a headache this morning, I haven't figured out if it's sinus related or another migraine yet. :( Hopefully I will win the battle and be able to take another jog later this afternoon or evening.

Have a great day!

get a Garmin watch ....It shows how far you have walked/jogged also how many calories and gives you a map to follow on google earth. Since I started training I have done 189 miles.... Have a place for the New York Marathon in two weeks may do it but I have one for London in april and that is definate. Keep up the good work

• 1 month later...

Wow, no one's been on here in quite some time. Maybe someone will see my post and we can bring this back to life. (Motivation is key!!! And success in numbers!!!!) My port is a measly 52 miles from my house, and with 86 days left, thats... like .6 miles a day. Not exactly productive. If I walked "to" and "from" the ship, it would be a little more productive at 1.2 miles a day. That's more realistic for me because I'm not in the best shape. And if I ever happen to get myself to the gym and get on the treadmill, I might actually make it to the ship and back, and head back to the ship! So hopefully I can get off my tookus and actually do something!! :eek:

• 5 weeks later...

I figured out a way that I am going to "map" my walks! I went to google maps and found a walking route between my home in Ontario, Canada and a cruise ship port that we have cruised from in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I don't have a cruise planned at the moment, but I thought it would be an excellent goal to eventually walk my way from my home to the cruise port!

I copied the directions and emailed them to myself. Then, I map the distance that I walk each day using the program at http://www.mapmywalk.com - each day, I just start my walk from the place on the map where I left off (I'm actually walking indoors on a treadmill at the gym) and track my route according to the miles that I walked that day.

I've only walked for two days so far but I'm using this as an incentive to exercise as much as possible...so far it's working because I'm excited to track my progress! :)

What a great idea! I'm going to start this myself. Thanks for the links so I can do it for me too. :) Sailing out of Miami in June. Have a LOT to lose, but I'll be happy with just getting down a couple of sizes so I can wear what I wore on my last cruise! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sort of doing this same thing. I am a walker in the 2010 Susan G. Komen 3-day for a Cure, and the total mileage with training is 645 miles. While that will only get me to Chattanooga, and well short of my cruise - I'm still excited about it!

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone doing with their walks? I did great for the month of January, and then in February I let things slide a bit as I was working more hours...but no excuses, I'm going to get back into it for March for sure! :) Can't wait until the weather gets nicer outside so I can take more of my walks outdoors!

Archived