Help Me Choose, Loyal Princess Cruisers

Jaycue52

Hello, Jim Quinn here. My wife and I are planning to take our first Princess cruise in September, and we have two choices---Island Princess and Sea Princess. I was wondering what the pros and cons of each ship were. I know that Island Princess is a bit bigger and a bit newer (although Sea Princess has been renovated since Island Princess started sailing). Usually, the newer ships have more to offer (alternative restaurants, more entertainment venues, etc.). However, it seems that the cabins may be larger, on average, on the Sea Princess. So, please feel free to weigh in on which ship you would choose and why. Of course, all of us have our own preferences for certain things, but maybe if I get enough opinions, all of my preferences will be addressed. Thanks, fellow cruisers!:D

Been on both. Hands down, Island. Sea is very nice, but I liked Island much better. Island & Coral are the most spacious (lowest pax density). The balconies on Sea are cut out of the hull and are very small -- unless you are booking a mini-suite (on the Sea, the minis are more like the size of a full suite on the newer ships). The Island & Coral have a variety of balconies -- covered, partially covered, fully exposed -- you can choose what you like. These ships also have "bump-out" sections, and you may like the view they afford. I had B504 on Island, a bump-out, in Alaska, and it was awesome. BTW, I was on the Sea also for Alaska (so same itinerary for comparison), and much preferred Island in every way. JMHO ;)

Here is a great link for Island & Coral: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

To me there is little comparison. The only thing the Sea has going for it is the minis which we have done and they are great and the Pizzeria if it is still there. Everything else is a negative comparison IMO.

Space ratio alone should determine which you would go on the Sea at 38.6 compared to the Island/Coral of 46.7.

Jack

for the

Hello, Jim Quinn here. My wife and I are planning to take our first Princess cruise in September, and we have two choices---Island Princess and Sea Princess. I was wondering what the pros and cons of each ship were. I know that Island Princess is a bit bigger and a bit newer (although Sea Princess has been renovated since Island Princess started sailing). Usually, the newer ships have more to offer (alternative restaurants, more entertainment venues, etc.). However, it seems that the cabins may be larger, on average, on the Sea Princess. So, please feel free to weigh in on which ship you would choose and why. Of course, all of us have our own preferences for certain things, but maybe if I get enough opinions, all of my preferences will be addressed. Thanks, fellow cruisers!:D

Any cruise ship with you and Tina on it will just be a delight :)

I have to agree that the Island wins hands down. Our first cruise (to Alaska) was on the Island and our next one (to Norway) was on the Sea Princess, after it's refit. Much preferred the Island - we found the Sea Princess to be a bit tatty in places. As already stated the balconies on the Island are much nicer. We had a balcony cabin on both and found the one on the Sea Princess to be smaller with less closet space.

Another vote here for the Island (and sister Coral). I spent 15 days on her for a cruise to Hawaii, and she's a great ship. The layout just seems to flow much better than some other Princess ships, and there was never a feeling of being in a crowd.

I have sailed on the Sea for 2 weeks and enjoyed her too, but certainly not as much as the Island.

Go with the Island - it is a great ship!

Was on the Sea Princess a few years ago - worn carpets, smell of vomit every day around pool. It is an old ship in need of retirement.

Configuration of the Island is better and the crew is super (Alaska 2006, Panama 2008).

Zouave

JRW,

Thanks for the great link! I've been looking to book my first Princess cruise (not going until 2010) but have been having the darnest time figuring out some of the balconies.

You are very welcome! Glad it is helpful. The guy who put that page together did an AWESOME job! I found it when I was planning my last Alaska trip and it was so helpful in choosing. Many people post the link on CC, it's probably the most helpful out there and would be great if someone had the time to develop similar for the other ships.

Enjoy your 2010 trip, wherever it might be taking you! :D

the Sea Princess was our first Princess cruise and the Island our most recent.

We love the smaller Sun class ships (Sea, Sun, and Dawn) and have been on all three. We've also done the Grand, Coral, and now Island.

We haven't ever eaten in any of the alternative restaurants so no comment there.

BUT - we do really like the grill on the Island and love the pizza. We don't like the pizza on the Sea,Sun, and Dawn - it is too thick crusted - and I don't like the fact that it feels like a restaurant - it's indoors, you have to change out of your bathing suit, unlike grabbing a slice at the counter on the Island by the pool.

Entertainment venues - We only sat in the theater waiting for an excursion, didn't see a difference.

Universal on Island was more appealing to us both than the Lounge on the others, but I'm not quite sure why - so that's not a help to you ;).

Cabin size - I guess I'll have to take everyone else's word that they are smaller on the Sea. We had a mini on our most recent cruise on the Grand and that spoiled us for size. The Island didn't seem any smaller than our memory of the balcony cabins on any of our other cruises.

Balcony - we have had a Caribe balcony on both the Island and Coral and the mini-balcony on the Grand, and, even though they are both larger than the balconies on the Sea,Sun, & Dawn, we prefer the balconies cut from the hull. In fact, it is the one thing we really prefer on the Sun class. When you are out on your balcony you can imagine you are on your own private ship. You look out, or down and you see the sea, not somebody's balcony. You look sideways and see the sea, not someone's balcony. You are also less likely to be distracted by someone's balcony light on your balcony, too.

Pool - dh & I aren't "into" the pool activities. We like a quiet, peaceful area to float around or swim a bit and sun a bit. On the Island recently, we were disappointed that the stern pool was now the Sanctuary Pool and the only adult pool was in the enclosed pool area - the Lotus Pool. It was beautiful and relatively quiet, and the temperature, thanks to the enclosure, was comfortable.

you can't go wrong, though, with any cruise ;)

I want to thank everybody for their input. VERY HELPFUL! And Ephraim, thank you so much for those kind words. We always enjoy sailing with you and Yves.

Archived