Alaska Spirit Cruise Air Question

Booked the 6/10/09 Northbound sailing on the Spirit. Whats the best way to do air. We are thinking about flying into Seattle doing and doing Amtrak from there to Vancouver. Obviously we have to fly back from Anchorage...anyone ever flown into SEA and rode Amtrak to Vancouver? Taking both kids and each one of them in bringing a friend so I would like to save a little money and that seems to be the cheapest way!

We are flying into seattle also. We are renting a van 1 way from seattle to vancouver. The total cost is only about $250.00. Its about a 3 hour ride up. The rental company drop of site is only about 5 blocks from the cruise terminal. Hope this helps.

Hello:

I still have to do my air arrange for NB Spirit Cruise in August. I did look into Amtrack Seattle to Vancouver a few months ago. Seems it was only one train a day and super early like 6:30 A.M. I though not on Vacation and for all that hassel I would fly into Van. I know it is much cheaper to fly into Seattle.

Tom in Long Beach

Be prepared to have the possibility of having problems at Anchorage Airport. The volcano has been playing havoc with air schedule.

We have done the opposite. Took the Amtrak bus from the Vancouver train station to the Seattle station. No problems. If there are 6 of you you might need two taxis to get you to the stations. But still cheaper that flying to Vancouver from the States.

we are on that same cruise, flying out of MN to Vancouver for approx $300 per person. have you checked for flights to Vancouver? sometimes you can get a pretty good deal.

Yes, we looked at flying into Vancouver, but my sons friend thought he got a passport but actually got a passport card...so that took flying into Vancouver off the table as the passport card is only good for land and sea crossings which Amtrak would be. Also, to the poster that said your renting a van...which company are you using? I tried that to but could not find a rental company that allowed us to turn the vehicle in outside of the states. It seems that Amtrak from SEA to YNR is the best deal...as it would only cost us $180 bucks. It is an early train but were flying all night from SC to SEA so we will be up...going up a day early to make up for lost sleep (thought the kids would enjoy that lol). First time to Alaska...Platinum on CCL but have always done the Caribbean...thought it was time for something new! The teens arent thrilled about cool weather though!

Just so you know, the passport law is an american law, NOT canadian. Canada will allow you to enter with a passport OR birth certificate and photo id.

I just assumed it was for both countries...Thats great to know...might just save the hassle and fly direct into Vancouver as our enterance back into the state will come via the Carnival Spirit, my son's friends passport card would work. Glad Im a member here, even as a seasoned cruiser you people never dissapoint with all the info one can learn from.

What is a passport card? Is this something minors can get?

This is copied directly from the State Dept. "

The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry."

Archived