ATL Layover

Cookie2boys

Depends. What are your options? Are there additional Airtran flights to your destination that get you there when you need to be there -- in case you do miss the flight? Are you flying on a very busy day? (increased chances of being late; decreased change of a seat being available on a later flight that day).

What is YOUR balance between money and hassles? Risk and convenience?

All AirTran gates are on corridor C & D. And most on one of those. Just about every AirTran flight I've been on has arrived about 10 min early. I would probably go with it.

My airline of choice.

We have flown many times on Air Tran through Atlanta. Only twice did we have a 42 min. connection time. We took a gamble. On the way TO the cruise, we were fine, made it. On the way home FROM the cruise, we were late landing. Actually, we arrived early at the airport, but lots of air traffic, and we landed late. We had 5 min. to make the gate, and of course, Air Tran closes their doors 10 min before the flight takes off. We missed our flight, (along with 12 other passengers) but luckily, there was room for us on the next flight, 2 hours later. That flight, however, ended up being 1 hour late, so we ended up with an extra 3 hour layover. Thank goodness it was on the way home from the cruise, and not on the way to the cruise. Now, I never take a flight with less than an hour between, unless it is on the way home, and it doesn't matter if I make it or not.

I hear ATL is a busy/big airport. Should I consider a flight with a 45 min layover on Airtran.

Maybe its because I live in ATL, and never have to connect here, but: Yes it is a very busy airport. I also find it a very easy airport to get around in.

I would just use regular 'connection protection.' Don't be on the last flight of the day. Know what other flights are available if something bad does happen. If the bad does happen, use a cell phone to call the airline while you are waiting in the line at the airport.

Rich

I love Air Tran but our flights from Atlanta have been a bit late leaving the last two recent times. We boarded and then had to wait on runway which made our arrival a bit late.

I would always allow at least an hour and that is a little close for my comfort.

We fly through ATL regularly (fly out of BUF on Delta, so almost every flight goes through ATL). I don't allow less than an hour for connection. Even if you make it -- your bags might not. Nice thing about big/busy airports is there is lots to do if you have a long layover :D.

Archived