Grandeur questions!

Please don't take biomedbob as the only opinion on here - maybe he had a bad cruise or something, but my wife & I were on Grandeur 2/21 sailing and loved it (I have a review - Six RCI Cruises and Still.. .); go to Reviews at the top of this page, follow the links. And don't just take my word - read the other reviews, some with negative comments, but mostly highly positive.

What I liked: I actually liked the size of the ship - not as large as some, but large enough. Cabins are small (same as most ships, bathrooms smaller). I also liked the cafe near the Solarium. DR service was outstanding; entertainment (especially anything led by CD Dan Whitney) was great. No complaints here.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses - if you have any specific questions just ask.

I think when biomedbob says she is the worst ship in the fleet, they are saying it in jest. If you read the other thread that they linked to, you will see that they say that so they can have the ship all to themselves.

I sure hope they are right as we sail on her in May. :)

I actually posted this last April, but it's worth repeating, especially if you're considering cruising on the Grandeur. We had quite an adventure getting to the Grandeur for our cruise 04/05/08 to 04/12/08. This is a tale of having to go through the worst to get to the best.

We (self (46 years old), wife (45), son (10), dad (75), and mom (73)) were scheduled to fly out of Milwaukee on Saturday, April 5th at 7:00am via Delta. Due to storms in Atlanta the previous day, everything was late getting into the various destinations (including Milwaukee) the previous evening, and due to FAA regulations, our flight out Saturday was immediately delayed by 3 hours. After checking with the gate agent in Milwaukee, we were “assured” that we “probably” would make our connecting flight, since we’d have 20 minutes to catch it. When we arrived in Atlanta, we found our connecting flight had already departed. As a result, we put on standby for a 2:20pm flight (Grandeur was scheduled to leave at 5:00pm). We were 15th-19th on the standby list; next to no chance of making this flight, and next flight out would get us to Tampa at 11:00pm (well after Grandeur left).

Luckily for us, we purchased the Cruisecare insurance through RCCL, so we immediately got on the phone to them to get some assistance. Let me say that Melissa from Berkley (the underwriters of the policy) was WONDERFUL in trying to help us get flights to Grand Cayman through Miami (to catch up with the ship) and hotel rooms in Grand Cayman on a Saturday night. Melissa told us to go to the Airtran ticket counter (outside security – this becomes important later on), where we could buy our tickets that were being held for us. We purchased our tickets to Miami from Airtran (no checked luggage, since our luggage is on Delta and on it’s way to Tampa, even though we tried to get Delta to take the bags off the flight), then got back in line to go through security again. At this point, we have about 40 minutes before the flight leaves, and the lines are long. We’re thinking, “Oh, no…we’re going to miss this flight too.”. Eventually, we get to the TSA screeners and my wife (who’s nickname is Pit Bull) is asked to go into “the pen” for a pat-down search; then, my son, myself, my mom, and my dad. Turns out that the airline flagged us for additional searches, since we paid cash for the one-way tickets, at the last minute, with no luggage checked. Finally, we get through security and have just over 10 minutes before the flight leaves. We run to the shuttle tram to the concourse where our plane is, get off, and I start running down the concourse to beg them not to close the doors on the plane (since Mom and Dad can’t run). We just make the flight…OK…take a deep breath….we’re on our way!

We arrived in Miami, then rushed to the Cayman Airlines ticket counter. Of course, the ticket agent had problems finding our reservation. When she did, she gave us a different price than Melissa had quoted us. After some help from a supervisor (who was really great and helped us a lot), we had our tickets and boarding passes. At this point, it’s approaching 7:00pm, and we’ve had nothing to eat since 5:30am in Milwaukee. So we headed over to the nearest fast food place, grab a quick bite to eat, then head off to our gate for our flight to Grand Cayman.

At about 9:15pm, our flight landed in Grand Cayman, and by 9:45pm, we’re in a taxi headed towards the hotel that Melissa booked for us (Marriott Courtyard, on Seven Mile Beach). A quick stop for basic necessities (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.), then we arrive at the hotel. Nice hotel, nice desk clerks. We check in, get settled, and my dad and I head to the bar for a quick nightcap (we figured we earned it). We order a glass of Merlot and a gin & tonic - $30 USD, including tip (whoa!).

The next day (Sunday), we get up and enjoy the warm sun and pool (son especially enjoys it). At one point, we see iguanas roaming around near the pool, so my Dad decides he wants to get a closer look, stumbles and falls and gashes his hand. Blood pouring out, we grab towels and get him to the room. Bleeding stops, but hand starts swelling. Dad refuses to go to a doctor or hospital, so we continue on with the day (side note: I found out today Dad did indeed break a bone, but he STILL refuses treatment. Boy, is he STUBBORN!).

At about 3:00pm Sunday, we realize the luggage still hasn’t shown up, so we go to the front desk and start calling the various airlines involved (Delta, Cayman Airways). Turns out the luggage was still in Tampa and won’t get to Grand Cayman until the next day (when we’re scheduled to catch up with the ship and leave). But they promise it will make it in time, so not to worry. At this point, my wife and I decide we need some clothes, so down to the gift shop to buy a couple of things to wear. However, there is no place open in Grand Cayman on a Sunday that sells things like underwear or socks. So, late Sunday night/Monday morning (at about 2:00am), my wife was doing laundry at the hotel.

Monday morning we see the ship pulling into port. YAY! Something positive!! We get a cab and take it to the port. The first RCCL representative we find is Richard, a security officer from Britain. We explained we were catching up to the ship, and he was so considerate of our plight to this point, and was so nice to all of us! They’d been expecting us, he says, and after a few minutes we’re on the tender to the ship. There, we’re met by Diane from RCCL guest services, who immediately hears our story and is very sympathetic and sensitive to what we’ve gone through to get there. Through security, up the elevator, and over to the purser’s desk where Arlene from RCCL guest services is waiting for us. She starts jumping up & down, yelling, saying how glad she is we made it, that they were expecting us. Finally!!! We’re home, where someone cares about us and doesn’t make promises they aren’t keeping (like the airlines with our luggage, now MIA for a third day).

After checking in, we head up to the Windjammer for some much-needed fuel and start to relax for a bit. However, by 3:00pm (that ominous hour that it had become), we realize we STILL have no luggage. My wife and I head down to the purser’s desk, where Dragana Dumic (guest services officer) is. We explain our situation, and she gets on the phone and calls Cayman Airlines. Turns out that they (Cayman Airlines/Delta) would not release the luggage, since we were no longer at the hotel, then claim they can’t get the luggage to us in time. At this point, we’re at our wits end, so Dragana takes over, gets on the phone, and says, “Look – you are about 10 minutes from here, the ship leaves in 45 minutes. You WILL do your best to get it to the ship by then.”

We go up to the pool deck and I grab a lounge chair, and my wife goes over to the rail to watch the tenders coming in. As the very last tender is coming in, she notices something familiar – our bags. She starts jumping up & down, screaming and yelling. I immediately race down to the first floor, where the tender is docking. I see Dragana, walkie-talkie in hand, saying, “Please let the Krafts know that their luggage has arrived.” At this point, she sees me and motions me over to let me see them. At this point, I broke down and starting sobbing from exhaustion and emotion that had been building for the last 3 days.

From that point on, the cruise was great. Thankfully, the cruise insurance we took out should cover most of our costs we had catching up to the ship. But once again, Royal Caribbean exceeded our expectations. At the return passenger party, I stopped the Captain (Captain Rob) and told him what a fabulous crew he had, explained our situation, and how wonderful everyone had been. If you happen to go on the Grandeur and see Dragana, tell her the Krafts say HI and thank you for everything she did for us.

Please don't take biomedbob as the only opinion on here - maybe he had a bad cruise or something, but my wife & I were on Grandeur 2/21 sailing and loved it (I have a review - Six RCI Cruises and Still.. .)

Please do take biomedbob's opinion. He, like many of us, loves the Grandeur. Much of the thread he posted has people like him (myself included) saying how horrible the Grandeur is. I haven't been on 'er in seven years but she's the one always in my thoughts. :)

Thanks everyone for your posts! I know the Grandeur is one of the smallest ships and a friend of ours would never sail on her ;), but that's okay I'm happy sailing on any ship anywhere!

BadgerFBFan - what a story! I held my breath while reading that!! So glad everything worked out - I will look out for her and tell her you said hello!! We had a similar story - on our way to Dulles Airport (DC) there was an accident on the interstate and there was no way we were going to make our 6 p.m. flight to San Juan. We were back and forth on the phone (RCI never told us to call our Cruisecare!) and got a flight out the next morning - there were 8 seats left on the flight and we took 6 of them. We were so relieved to land in San Juan and board the Serenade!

What is the solarium like?

Thanks again!

We sailed on the Grandeur in mid March for a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise. We loved it. I thought the ship was in great shape and the crew was very friendly and nice. I used the solarium pool area on both sea days and it was nice. It is smaller than the area on the Radiance, and not as "decorated" - but the loungers were comfy, the hot tubs were hot and nice, and the pool was fine. Bar tenders came around frequently. And it was QUIET - which was a big plus for me since this was during Spring Break!

Thanks everyone for your posts! I know the Grandeur is one of the smallest ships and a friend of ours would never sail on her ;), but that's okay I'm happy sailing on any ship anywhere!

What is the solarium like?

Thanks again!

I have really enjoyed all my cruises on Grandeur, including the 14 nights for a repo, looking very forward to the 14 night repo in November this year.

The Solarium is an adults only area (16 yo+) where there are two hot tubs and a pool all under a convertible glass roof. The pool deck chairs are a little nicer than the other pool, padded. There is a bubble maker in the bottom of the pool, but I've only seen it run once. The roof is motorized, so they can move it back for full sunshine, but if they do, you better have some pool shoes, the deck gets very hot, very quickly. The Solarium cafe is located in the port, aft corner of the Solarium. They serve burgers, hot dogs, pizza and fries, cookies and fruit. Children are allowed to visit the Solarium cafe and stay to eat, but are not allowed to use the Solarium hot tubs or pool.

FWIW, Grandeur does not have specialty dining, mini golf, Boleros, Johnny Rockets, boxing, inline skating, ice skating, concierge lounge, or account on TV service.

She does have a beautiful main dining room, Windjammer Cafe, Solarium Grill, Room Service, Latte-tudes, beautiful Centrum area, kids programs, the crew is fantastic.

Hope that helps a little with your question(s).

And next to the Latte-tudes is a Ben & Jerry's which my kids loved:p I too like the smaller ships (never been on a huge one), because I like to be able to find those small, quiet spaces to enjoy a book:) I'm sorry she's leaving Baltimore this year, but looking forward to the EOS. In fact, I'm going to be talking to the LA on our next trip about the Nexcruise credit (or whatever it's called;)) for EOS next summer for our 25th anniversary (don't tell dh:cool:).

Thanks Patricia, Wraithe and Karen for the info! Reading your posts just gets me even more excited :) There is indeed something said about sailing on a smaller ship - I'm more nervous about sailing on the Oasis next year!

Thanks again!

We sailed the Grandeur on a 5 night out of Tampa back in November and I was super impressed with the ship, in fact, to date, has been one of my favorite cruises. I am looking forward to going on a Freedom or Oasis class ship in the future, but this will continue to be one of my favorite ships. :)

Archived