nightlife in victoria

I have tried searching this thread for info but it all seems outdated. We are sailing on the Pearl the first week of June with a stop in Victoria from 6pm-12am. Our stop is on Saturday night, and since we are celebrating my younger daughter's 21st birthday a month early, we thought it would be fun to go out to bars or clubs that night. (Their drinking age is 19) Will we be able to walk to a lively area, or should we plan on transportation? I have read about several of the bars in Victoria, but would be glad to hear of any other suggestions. :)

It is about 1.5 miles from the dock at Ogden Point to the downtown core which is fairly compact and has a number of bars that will be opened to midnight or 1AM.

In the past there has been a shuttle from the pier to the Empress for something like $6.00 a person but if there is a number of you it might be better to take a cab.

I will let the Victoria crew comment on the bar scene.

Cheers

Dennis

I have tried searching this thread for info but it all seems outdated. We are sailing on the Pearl the first week of June with a stop in Victoria from 6pm-12am. Our stop is on Saturday night, and since we are celebrating my younger daughter's 21st birthday a month early, we thought it would be fun to go out to bars or clubs that night. (Their drinking age is 19) Will we be able to walk to a lively area, or should we plan on transportation? I have read about several of the bars in Victoria, but would be glad to hear of any other suggestions. :)

Easiest way is to take the bus ($2.25) stops right outside of the cruise terminal, take the one on the same side of the street as the terminal and it goes right into downtown.

As for nightlife, it really depends what you like to do. One highly recommended thing is to visit one or more of Victoria's highly rated brew pubs (Victoria is a great beer city). As for the hub of nightlife, the Strathcona Hotel on Douglas street has about 5 different bars, so you're bound to find something to please.

Here is a Victoria pub crawl that I put together for some folks who were with us on a cruise in May of last year:

These five pubs are in the downtown area and not more than 3 blocks apart so quite walkable. You will likely want to take a cab or shuttle from the pier to the Empress Hotel then start walking. Hugo’s by the way is a trendy brew pub and not in the English Pub tradition.

Bartholomews in the Executive House 777 Douglas St.

TheSticky Wicket in the Strathconna 919 Douglas St.

Hugo’s Brew Pub in the Magnolia 623 Courtenay

The Old Bailey at 777 Courtenay

There is the Irish Times Pub at 1200 Government …..it is kind of touristy.

You could also walk over to the Swans at 506 Pandora, which would be about a 7 block walk from the Sticky Wicket so you might want to cab it.

If you decide to go to the Swans then you may as well carry on by cab to the Vancouver Island Brewing company at 2330 Government St. Then again by cab to Spinnakers at 308 Catherine St.

The cab fares should all be under $10 and a pint of beer will run you a lttle over $5 and most of these places will have wine, spirits and soft drinks available for the non beer drinkers.

Should you decide to go by cab, I would start at Spinnakers then the Van. Is. Brewing Co., then Swans then come into the Sticky Wicket and then you walk to the others.

These five pubs are in the downtown area and not more than 3 blocks apart so quite walkable. You will likely want to take a cab or shuttle from the pier to the Empress Hotel then start walking. Hugo’s by the way is a trendy brew pub and not in the English Pub tradition.

Bartholomews in the Executive House 777 Douglas St.

TheSticky Wicket in the Strathconna 919 Douglas St.

Hugo’s Brew Pub in the Magnolia 623 Courtenay

The Old Bailey at 777 Courtenay

There is the Irish Times Pub at 1200 Government …..it is kind of touristy.

You could also walk over to the Swans at 506 Pandora, which would be about a 7 block walk from the Sticky Wicket so you might want to cab it.

If you decide to go to the Swans then you may as well carry on by cab to the Vancouver Island Brewing company at 2330 Government St. Then again by cab to Spinnakers at 308 Catherine St.

The cab fares should all be under $10 and a pint of beer will run you a lttle over $5 and most of these places will have wine, spirits and soft drinks available for the non beer drinkers.

Should you decide to go by cab, I would start at Spinnakers then the Van. Is. Brewing Co., then Swans then come into the Sticky Wicket and then you walk to the others.

Ahh beer in Victoria, my specialty (or it was until I moved to the mainland a few years back...)

What I would recommend is

- take the harbour ferry to Spinnikers (the standard by which brewpubs are measured)

- walk/bus/taxi back towards Swans (#2 brew pub in the downtown area). A taxi will be inexpensive, it's only about a mile

- drop off at the sticky wicket for a pint

- wander down government street back toward the ship stopping in at the James Bay Inn

The Old Bailey pub is long closed, Hugo's is waaaay too trendy, and Barts is ok, but not up to its old homey self that it was 20 years ago.

Spinny's and Swan's are the two not to be missed. If you want to buy some beer to bring back on board, there's a small liquor store at the NW corner of Menzies and Simcoe. Buy some Phillips beer, Victoria's best.

Hugo's is gone. The space is being renovated into the Spa Magnolia.

As a local I do not consider the Irish Times as too touristy. In fact it's one of my favourite pubs, all the great Irish beers on tap.

One block south is a new pub, the Bard and the Banker (or the Banker and the Bard) specializing in Scotch whiskey.

Both these pubs have the same owner, both have good food, both are in renovated bank buildings and both are more upscale than any of the venues in the Strathcona Hotel. The Strath is very much a young persons hangout ie. under 30.

Wow thanks for the input! I should have lots of choices now.

Of these options, which would my 20 year old daughter like most? It will be her first time in bars. I am right that she can legally drink in Victoria, aren't I?

Wow thanks for the input! I should have lots of choices now.

Of these options, which would my 20 year old daughter like most? It will be her first time in bars. I am right that she can legally drink in Victoria, aren't I?

The hot spot for the younger set tends to be the Sticky Wicket at the Strathcona. Yes your daughter will be able to have a drink in Victoria, the legal age is 19 in the province of British Columbia.

http://www.strathconahotel.com/

Just make sure that your daughter has proper ID with her - Passport preferred - as pubs are suppose to check those who look under 25 although if you are with her they may not bother.

Enjoy your stay in Victoria - hope your daughter enjoys some good Canadian Beer if that is what she will be drinking.

Cheers

Dennis

My 21 and 24 year old children like it here.

I like the Irish Times too :)

One of my sons was the beverage control manager there but when he got to about 26 he outgrew it!;)

That's it, I am shutting down here in the desert and starting home to the Wet Coast in a few hours. Got to get some of those Kokaniees and Alexader Keiths.:D

ttfn

Why would you want to leave the hot desert sun and head for the very wet Coast today - oh you want to be close to the hockey mania do you - guess we won't know til this evening who we will be playing - it will either be Columbus or St Louis. Canucks in 6 in the 1st round.

Have a good safe trip home and home and enjoy those In and Out Burgers but leave some room for the White Spot Triple O's on your return.

Happy Easter to you and DW

Cheers

Dennis

One of my sons was the beverage control manager there but when he got to about 26 he outgrew it!;)

That's it, I am shutting down here in the desert and starting home to the Wet Coast in a few hours. Got to get some of those Kokaniees and Alexader Keiths.:D

ttfn

Hurry home :)

Weather is starting to get nice AND our local Liquor Express had the Alexander Keith's on sale for $20 today with a free glass :D

My husband bought the Stella Artosis(wrng spllng sorry)instead.

Hurry home :)

Weather is starting to get nice AND our local Liquor Express had the Alexander Keith's on sale for $20 today with a free glass :D

My husband bought the Stella Artosis(wrng spllng sorry)instead.

Shame shame shame. You live in Victoria, the beer capital of Western Canada, and you buy Keiths?

Go back to the liquor store and buy some Phillip's...

Shame shame shame. You live in Victoria, the beer capital of Western Canada, and you buy Keiths?

Go back to the liquor store and buy some Phillip's...

LOL I will buy my husband some Phillips.....I drink a Pacifico or Coronalita (the little mini bottles are sooo cute, my husband just shakes his head anf rolls his eyes at me) twice a year....does that count??

Archived