From Marseille to Aix Provence

We will be docking in Marseille and thinking about taking public transportation to Provence. Is this easy to do? How do we get to the bus station from the dock? Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced it. Thanks very much...:)

We took a train several years ago. The train station in Aix is centrally located.

We had a problem on the way back to Marselles and had to take a cab part of the way in order to meet our connection. Be sure you have a backup plan and allow plenty of time.

Aix is a beautiful city and well worth a visit.

If the ship offers a "self-guided" excursion to Aix-in-Provence via bus, I recommend it. The few bucks saved on public transit isn't much solace if you have any bus or train connection problems. Especially if you don't speak any French.

I don't recall any major tourist attractions in Aix, but the old church's baptistry dates to Roman times. It's a very pleasant place to spend a day, especially on Sunday when the farmer's market and craft vendors are set up. We enjoyed it.

Aix is incredible! If you want a great place to eat that is very French and outside, try the LePapagayo Cafe Restaurant which is past the flower market and then to the left. Sorry I don't know the street, just ask someone. The food is incredible and the monster salads with fantastic ingredients were around 5 euros each. Very few tourists eat here, and you will really feel like a native as you sit, listen, sip some wine and eat the wonderful food! This restaurant has outdoor dining only.

Thank you all for your comments. It's good to know the options available.

Dj_cruising: what kind of problem did you have? I thought that it's a direct route to Aix-en-Provence with no transfers necessary. Also do you recall how to get to the train station from the dock?

Thanks & Happy Easter to all!

Archived