A couple of newbie ?

DrmnOfMaui

Ok... these might be silly, but I'm curious!

Is it windy on the cruise all the time while you are cruising?

We are going to the Caribbean (AOS - Southern Caribbean our of San Juan) in Mid July. In the evening, does anyone sleep with the balcony door open? Is it too noisy/windy?

Are the cabins hot? Frequently in hotels I get warm at night... does the air in the cabins work well?

Is the water in the pools really cold? I've heard that the water is sea water that is very chilly. True?

Anyone ever had issue with hurricanes? (I'm a CA girl... hurricanes don't happen here!)

I feel silly asking these questions, and they are not super important, just things we are wondering!

Thanks,

Kim

The ship could be going 20 miles per hour so you will have a wind. I don't think the wind will bother you.

Balcony door open? Why not. Very enjoyable.

You can adjust the thermostat in your cabin. Shoudl be the same as a hotel room.

When the ship is moving, it's quite windy on deck, especially near the railings. In Mid-July, it will still be windy, but hot!

If you keep your balcony door open,, the AC won't work, and it will get HUMID!!!! You really only hear wind---not "waves" (waves are heard when crashing on shore--hopefully you won't be that close to land!!!)

In July, the pools will warm up fast---they're shallow and it will be HOT! It is filtered sea water..it will feel good after sitting in the sun for about 15 mins!

No one can predict hurricanes--if one forms, the captain will evade it---you may change or lose ports to avoid the storm. Nothing to worry about, since no one has control over it! July, although hurricane season, doesn't have as many as later in the year!

Just to second what cb said ... it is VERY windy - especially on the upper decks. We often walk on the upper deck in the morning and I always need a baseball cap to keep my hair out of my eyes & mouth. It isn't as windy on the pool decks.

If you walk down the hallways at night and hear whistling sounds you will know who has left their balcony door open. If you want to stay cool - keep the balcony door closed. In mid-summer it's not going to cool off at night, so that won't help you out.

The air conditioning works very well --- we've never had a problem with it. You will have a control in your cabin. But if you leave that door open it will not cool down the room.'

Hurricane season starts in June and it is generally a much quieter month. But know that the Captain will not take the ship into harm's way. If there is a bad storm you could well miss a port, but that's better than going than the alternative!

We just got off the AOS on Sunday and we had a great time. It was our first cruise and we had a balcony cabin. The first couple of nights we left the door open to hear the water, but soon realized it got very hot in the room when we did that. We had to shut the door the last couple nights because we were too hot. Otherwise, the rooms cook down very nicely with the air conditioning.

The pools were on the chilly side, but the sun was hot and we were sweaty, so it felt good.

We had a great time, it is a beautiful ship. We only wish our son was older and would have been able to keep himself awake so we could enjoy the nightlife!

yes it is windy sometime a little sometimes really bad. As for the air conditioning it can work well but it depends on how many people with balconies leave those balconies open when they do it affects the AC for the rest of the cabins and so AC in insides tends to be less useful. This is especially true on older ships.

Archived