Re-coating silver jewelry

My favorite costume jewelry bangle bracelets I wear often are Guess brand (similar to the ones pictured) but recently the silver coating on them is starting to wear off and the base metal is showing through. I thought I read on the boards some time ago about a solution you can dip silver pieces in to re-coat them. I've had no luck finding this thread (if it ever existed :o). Does anyone know of a product that would do the trick?

82073142-NC-RF.jpg

I've never heard of doing it with silver. I did have some yellow gold pieces dipped so that they are white gold now. Two of my rings were dipped a couple of years ago, and the yellow is showing through a little bit now. I'll have them redone within the next few weeks. I can't remember how much paid to have this done, but I do know that I could have replaced costume jewelry for less.

I don't have an answer to your question but I know how you feel! Sometimes you find the perfect bracelet or necklace and it's costume jewelry, so you buy it. And then one day it turns on you & you can't find a similar favorite. I hate that!

I believe that Jared's will do a white gold dip at their store. I'm not sure how that would work with your bracelets though. A lot of good costume jewelry is electroplated with Rhodium for that high shine look. It's worth asking about for your bangles though!

Good luck!

Sorry, just saw that someone had already mentioned the electro-plating.

Has anyone had jewlery that was part metal ad part something else electroplated? I bought a pendant in Sedona last summer that is a piece of red rock wrapped in what I thought was silver. The silver has worn off. :( I love, love, love this pendant and wear it several time a week, so this is really bothering me. I've been wondering if there was a way to have the metal replated without doing anything to the stone.

Has anyone had jewlery that was part metal ad part something else electroplated? I bought a pendant in Sedona last summer that is a piece of red rock wrapped in what I thought was silver. The silver has worn off. :( I love, love, love this pendant and wear it several time a week, so this is really bothering me. I've been wondering if there was a way to have the metal replated without doing anything to the stone.

It sounds like it was wrapped with silver-plated jewelry wire, which is sterling silver over copper (I do beading/jewelry-making for fun) as opposed to sterling silver jewelry wire. You could take it to a local bead shop and have them re-wrap the stone in sterling silver wire for you. I'm not sure how much they would charge you, the cost of the wire itself depends on gauge used. If you have any friends that make jewelry or are into beading they could probably do this for you too.

It sounds like it was wrapped with silver-plated jewelry wire, which is sterling silver over copper (I do beading/jewelry-making for fun) as opposed to sterling silver jewelry wire. You could take it to a local bead shop and have them re-wrap the stone in sterling silver wire for you. I'm not sure how much they would charge you, the cost of the wire itself depends on gauge used. If you have any friends that make jewelry or are into beading they could probably do this for you too.

Thanks! That sounds right, as its kind of coppery underneath. I guess I could have it rewrapped, but its a very intricate pattern and I'm not sure its worth it. It was only $30 to start with, I just happen to love it :) Maybe the right thing is to let it rub off and find a coppery necklace for it :D

Thanks! That sounds right, as its kind of coppery underneath. I guess I could have it rewrapped, but its a very intricate pattern and I'm not sure its worth it. It was only $30 to start with, I just happen to love it :) Maybe the right thing is to let it rub off and find a coppery necklace for it :D

Hey, that's an idea! Check Michael's and Hobby Lobby's jewelry findings and you should be able to find a copper chain necklace. Your pendant sounds cool. :)

Thanks for your help, everyone. I've been thinking about where I saw the info I'm seeking and I think it was actually a re-plating ad for silver hollow-ware, probably in Parade magazine or some publication like that. The ad shows the comparison when an old silverplated teapot is halfway dipped in the "plating" solution. One gleaming side, one nasty side. It probably doesn't work well, anyway. :rolleyes:

I think I'll search eBay for another bracelet.

Archived