Bed rails?

radleyboy

I am new to crusing with kids. We have sailed three times before but I have never looked at how it would be to cruise with kids. We are going on the NCL Spirit and will have our 5 and 3 year olds with us. My 3 year old is pretty good about not falling out of bed, but I am worried because he will be on an upper bunk in our cabin. Does anybody have any experience with what the bunks or cruise lines offer to keep the kids in bed or what I should bring? Thanks for any help!

Check with the cruiseline--most ships have some sort of "rail" for the pullmans. Some even have age limits----if they don't, you could take the mattress off the bed and put it on the floor--then, there's nowhere to fall!

• 3 weeks later...

We noticed the rails on carnival were only partial not full rails. You could always take the mattress off the top bunk and place the mattress on the floor during bedtimes and have your 3 yr old sleep there. Thats what we did with our 3 yr old. Then we would put it back up in the morning and the room steward would lock it back up into the wall during the day.

If you don't mind giving up a bit of luggage space/weight, Safety 1st makes a great portable bed rail. If you look at pix of it (http://secondbargainbox.blogspot.com/2009/04/safety-1st-portable-bed-rail.html)

it has foldable legs that slide under the mattress and you can adjust the length so it will fit flat in a medium sized suitcase. We used this type of bedrail for both DS when they were moved from crib to 'real bed', DS3 still has it on one side of his bed for his piece of mind.

Archived