Fashion Emergency Help Needed

Starlake666

I really need some advice on a dress I'm thinking of buying for our Dec. 17th cruise...formal night. I don't know how to post a link, so if you don't mind going to Ebay and putting in #534410491 .......and letting me know what you think of this dress.

Is it too wedding like? Or are white sequins not appropriate for Dec?

Give it to me straight!!!!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

The dress is very pretty and I would wear it. I would be a little concerned about your timeline, though. You say your cruise is Dec. 17th, that's 2 weeks from tomorrow, cutting it a little close for the end of the auction, shipping, cleaning, if needed. What if it needs some alterations? I guess I'm a bit of a worry wart, but I like all these things in place well before leaving. Is there a way you could contact the person holding the auction? I don't have much experience with Ebay, but can they take something off auction before the time is up?

Good luck to you, I hope this works out well for you.

Thank you so much. The seller has agreed to give me a "buy it now" price and also to ship it ASAP. If it needs alterations, I'm probably too late, but for that price I couldn't go wrong...I'll just keep it for the next cruise!!!

I THINK it also comes in navy blue.....

THANKS so much..I just needed some opinions.

My daughter (age 20) says it looks like something from the GOLDEN GIRLS tv show....but then she wants me to dress like her age....I'm 49....think I"d look a little silly dressing like a 20 year old.

I THINK I may go with the navy....as long as it isn't BLACK.....seems like everything I buy is black.

I just found this discussion group and had to get in on the fashion fun. That dress is beautiful! And what a steal! I wish I had the nerve to buy from e-bay--- haven't made that plunge yet. I am sailing on the NCL Dawn on 12/30. Found some fun summer-type blouses at TJ Maxx and a couple dressy red blouses online at Kohl's. I would like to go fancier but can't find anything online for a XL or 1X size. Anybody have any good sites? We live pretty far away from any large towns, and I don't want to fight the malls. Thanks

Amy in NH

Got the dress in navy....it's already been shipped. It's a 14 and I usually take a 12 , but I find sequin type stuff tends to run small....I'd rather it not be skin tight. I'll wear it the 2nd formal night after I've gained 5 lbs.!!!!

Amy....have you ever heard of Coldwater Creek. They make some very nice stuff....and offer it in many sizes from extra small to 3X. They have an outlet page where you can find some VERY good deals. They are a VERY reputable place to deal with.... GREAT customer service. I've gotten many things there and just sent my sister a Christmas gift from there....they wrapped it...put in a gift card and shipped it to her all FREE (not the blouse of course!) And they ship quickly so you would still have time to maybe find something for your cruise.

Good luck and ENJOY !!

JUST TO UPDATE....

Got the dress yesterday...it's BEAUTIFUL and in perfect condition. It is just a little big....going today to get it altered....nothing major.

Of course, now I need new shoes....I'm thinking silver?

Now, the hose question....I'm torn about whether to wear hose. I would think with this type of dress, I would normally wear hose for sure. But after reading the other thread about how out of style that is...I don't know!!!!

Any opinions?

THANKS

Amy....check out qvc (do a search for Blaine Trump). She has a really pretty silk (lace) blouse in black or ivory. Also Victor Costa and Nolan Miller (qvc)have some nice things. One nice thing about qvc is that most styles are offered in larger sizes and they all are uniform in size. Nordstrom's (online) has some really nice dressy things too. Hsn---Dianne von Furstenberg has nice silk separates. I'm a 1x or 2x too.

Thanks for all the ideas. I got my order from Kohl's today for some fun stuff. But I have been having a blast with ebay! I was trying to show my husband tonight how it worked, and I "accidentally" bought a pair of earrings! I found some really nice gowns on there that are being shipped now. My cruise in on Dec. 30, so I should be okay. I pray everything fits, but if not, I can alter them (I hope!). Buying 1x after being much smaller this summer has been tough, but I finally had to admit to myself that the pounds were NOT coming off before the cruise and shop accordingly. Maybe after the cruise I'll learn how to SELL on ebay!:rolleyes:

Amy in NH

You have to do what is comfortable for you, regardless of what might be "in fashion" at this moment. I hate wearing pantyhose, but will if the dress and shoes call for it. Silver shoes sound perfect, they have some that are more metallic than glittery out now, you would probably get more wear out of those. Here is one I may choose:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2835954&category=2376778~2372808~2376689~2376694&PrevStyleID=2833144&NextStyleID=2846890

Archived