Boston arrival with 5 extra hours-what to do ?

rlmleisure

Hello, We arrive on May 1st aboard the NCL Spirit. We do not depart Logan until 5PM. Anyone familiar with Bean town and have recommendations what to do ?

There are 5 of us and are first timers to Boston. Thank you in advance for any input... Rob (McQ) ;)

Your biggest problem is your luggage. Here's the best I have been able to find. I have not used this so you need to call and confirm.

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_water.html

The water taxi at Rowes Wharf says they offer temporary luggage storage if you take the water taxi to Logan Airport - $10/pp. You can take a cab from the pier to Rowes Wharf, make your water taxi reservation, and store your luggage. Then you are free to walk around Boston. You can head north along the harbor towards the Aquarium and then across to Faneuil Hall/Quincy market or continue on to the North End. If you want to go elsewhere in Boston, you can pick up the "T" at the aquarium. The only problem with the Water Taxi is that at Logan you must transfer to the free #66 bus, which will drop you right at your terminal.

I don't think you will have any problem killing 5 hours in this area of Boston. Doing some of the Harbor Walk is lovely. Faneuil Hall has more restaurants and fast food places than you can imagine plus lots of shops. Same with the North End if you like Italian Food. Taking the water taxi to Logan is a civilized way to depart Boston and with 5 people is about the same price as two cabs.

138's advice is great as usual...

The luggage problem seems to be the biggie, but she's found an answer for you..

May is a great month to walk around in Boston

Try walking the Freedom Trail, if you're into history.

The Museum of Science is a nice take, Harvard (a "T" ride away) has a number of museums too.

The Common & Public Gardens would be a good walk.

If you're into shopping and a variety of food, Quincy Market / Faniel Hall has it.

Fenway Park has daily tours if that's your thing (Check out the "T" for getting you around) http://www.mbta.com

Your biggest problem is your luggage. Here's the best I have been able to find. I have not used this so you need to call and confirm.

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_water.html

The water taxi at Rowes Wharf says they offer temporary luggage storage if you take the water taxi to Logan Airport - $10/pp. You can take a cab from the pier to Rowes Wharf, make your water taxi reservation, and store your luggage. Then you are free to walk around Boston. You can head north along the harbor towards the Aquarium and then across to Faneuil Hall/Quincy market or continue on to the North End. If you want to go elsewhere in Boston, you can pick up the "T" at the aquarium. The only problem with the Water Taxi is that at Logan you must transfer to the free #66 bus, which will drop you right at your terminal.

I don't think you will have any problem killing 5 hours in this area of Boston. Doing some of the Harbor Walk is lovely. Faneuil Hall has more restaurants and fast food places than you can imagine plus lots of shops. Same with the North End if you like Italian Food. Taking the water taxi to Logan is a civilized way to depart Boston and with 5 people is about the same price as two cabs.

I want to thank you for this input. It seems so RIGHT ON !! I have asked the same question on our roll call and have not received such an awesome answer. The website for roweswharf seems to have a virus or something as it will not load but I believe I have the basic message. Again THANK YOU :D Rob (McQ)

So glad you found this useful. I looked at it again and saw that the water taxi also goes to Black Falcon, but the fare is $20. However, the web site indicates that they may offer a family day pass for $50 or a day pass for $25, which would still save you some money. Anyway, call 617-406-8584 to find out what kind of deal you arrange for 5 people. The luggage storage is key because without that you are either spending the day at Logan or toting it around the city.

I agree with you about the other site - it is weird. Look at http://www.roweswharfwatertaxi.com/ or the Massport site http://www.massport.com, which is the place that has this:

Fares: The standard adult fare is $10.00 per passenger one-way to/from Logan and $17.00 per passenger round trip. Children 12 and under ride free with paying adults. Tickets are sold on board the boat (major credit cards are accepted). Temporary luggage storage is available upon request.

I just wanted to follow up & say THANKS AGAIN !!. :) I emailed Roweswharf and asked what they could offer. I was pleasantly surprised. A rep named Fred responded and said they could pick us up one block from the cruise ship, take us to luggage storage then an all day pass with unlimited use for all 5 of us for $85.00 total. This would include taking us to Logan at the end of our day. Thank you Rob Mc :cool:

Wow - that's a great deal. The taxi fares for all of you would have been more and no luggage storage. And you get a scenic boat tour of the harbor instead of a cab ride through South Boston and the Ted Williams tunnel.

Hi, just a small correction, they do tours of Fenway Park on game days. They stop them 3 hours before the game. They started this a few years ago, guess get all the $$ they can. It's well worth the ticket price.

Try the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Not too far from Southie, small enough to tour easily in the allotted time, and absolutely spectacular. It's the museum from which several Rembrandts were stolen about 20 years ago. I always reccomend it to first time Boston visitors and nobody has ever been disappointed yet.

You can definitely do the Freedom Trail and see most of the important historical sights in Boston in the time you have. One thing, if you walk over to see the USS Constitution, you can take the water taxi back to the Aquarium for 1 or 2 $ per person and you get a nice view of the harbor on the ride back.

Check the Duck Tour website. They do now.

Thanks for the info. I checked the website and they will begin Aquarium departures starting May 1st. I called to check departure times and was told they will only be doing evening tours from the Aquarium.

• 2 weeks later...

rlmleisure - how did this work out for you? There are others who have the same issue as to what to do with their luggage and your feedback would be great. Please let us know how it worked out for you.

• 6 years later...

I just sailed on the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. The ship offered no tours, only airport transfers and I had a 5:00 pm flight. I was able to use Rowe's Water Taxi service and spend time sightseeing in Boston. You need to have their phone number, which is listed on their website. They will come to get you and you can pay for the $25.00 cruise ship special onboard. After you exit the ship, keep going past the front of the ship. Take the first side street. You will see a dock ramp, that is past the police ship and before the bridge. They take you to their main location at Rowe's Wharf. The aquarium and tours are a short walk to the north. You can use Harbor Walk or Atlantic street. They helped me get my luggage to their office, will store it for you, and set up a return time. They have public restrooms at the location too. I was able to take a tour and eat lunch at Quincy Market with my free time. I took another water taxi across the harbor. You use the airport bus to the terminal. They were helpful with my luggage on both ends. I did tip the staff who assisted me. They were very friendly and appreciative.

I just sailed on the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. The ship offered no tours, only airport transfers and I had a 5:00 pm flight. I was able to use Rowe's Water Taxi service and spend time sightseeing in Boston. You need to have their phone number, which is listed on their website. They will come to get you and you can pay for the $25.00 cruise ship special onboard. After you exit the ship, keep going past the front of the ship. Take the first side street. You will see a dock ramp, that is past the police ship and before the bridge. They take you to their main location at Rowe's Wharf. The aquarium and tours are a short walk to the north. You can use Harbor Walk or Atlantic street. They helped me get my luggage to their office, will store it for you, and set up a return time. They have public restrooms at the location too. I was able to take a tour and eat lunch at Quincy Market with my free time. I took another water taxi across the harbor. You use the airport bus to the terminal. They were helpful with my luggage on both ends. I did tip the staff who assisted me. They were very friendly and appreciative.

Thanks for the great feedback on your experience with the water taxi to Rowe's Wharf and Logan Airport.