Victoria

Really sorry folks, I made a huge error in my reading of the Transit Map of Victoria.

It isn't 15 minutes away of a walk, it's 50 minutes of a walk! I thought the 75 bus route was closer, but it is NOT. Do not attempt to walk to the #75 bus, take the #31 from the pier to the bus #75, be sure to read the #75 schedule properly as NOT all departures go to the Gardens.

As you can see, it is not really walkable...maybe if you have an hour to kill and don't mind walking from the pier to downtown :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Point&daddr=Hillside+Ave+%26+Nanaimo+St,+Victoria,+Capital+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&hl=en&geocode=FZvH4gIdPzil-CGtJPw3zckYzw%3BFdAd4wIdBJul-ClBZlh4f3OPVDEyhTycMyhHow&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=w&sll=48.427702,-123.377245&sspn=0.041804,0.11158&ie=UTF8&ll=48.42715,-123.376122&spn=0.041805,0.11158&t=h&z=14

Actually most of the #75 buses that go to the gardens start at the Royal Oak exchange not where your map shows. The Royal Oak Exchange is another 5 miles north of what you've flagged.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Point&daddr=Royal+Oak+Drive+%26+Elk+Lake+Drive&geocode=FZvH4gIdPzil-CGtJPw3zckYzw%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=48.513534,-123.356552&sspn=0.063112,0.181961&ie=UTF8&ll=48.457669,-123.379211&spn=0.126363,0.363922&t=h&z=12

However, the 30 and 31 leave all the time from in front of the cruise terminal (don't even cross the street!) and take you to the Royal Oak Exchange.

We plan to fly into Victoria airport and would like to rent a car for our stay on the island. Renting the car in downtown Victoria is less expensive than renting one at the airport.

Our question is: How can we get from the airport into downtown Victoria? Are there buses that go between the airport and downtown on a regular basis?

Would it be feasible to take a taxi from the airport to the rental car location? What cost are we looking at with that choice?

the airport is a fair way north of downtown (15 miles), a cab is in the $50 range. There is a shuttle "The Airporter" http://www.victoriaairportshuttle.com/ cost is $17/ea

Actually most of the #75 buses that go to the gardens start at the Royal Oak exchange not where your map shows. The Royal Oak Exchange is another 5 miles north of what you've flagged.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Point&daddr=Royal+Oak+Drive+%26+Elk+Lake+Drive&geocode=FZvH4gIdPzil-CGtJPw3zckYzw%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=48.513534,-123.356552&sspn=0.063112,0.181961&ie=UTF8&ll=48.457669,-123.379211&spn=0.126363,0.363922&t=h&z=12

However, the 30 and 31 leave all the time from in front of the cruise terminal (don't even cross the street!) and take you to the Royal Oak Exchange.

Hillside Avenue isn't downtown.........its past downtown. Its about a 15 - 20 minute walk past the parliment buildings to downtown.

Thanks for all the help with getting to Butchart Gardens. I've got that down pat. Now, how do you get from Butchart Gardens to the Inner Harbor? I want to see the Empress Hotel and Parliment Bldg. Is there a bus that takes you there? Is it the #75 south?

Hi...we have an evening port time also, I have a few questions.

We mostly just want to see the pretty buildings, shops etc. Should we walk or do a horse drawn carriage/trolley?

If we do walk, are there any neat little places for coffee/dessert?

Thanks

Thanks for all the help with getting to Butchart Gardens. I've got that down pat. Now, how do you get from Butchart Gardens to the Inner Harbor? I want to see the Empress Hotel and Parliment Bldg. Is there a bus that takes you there? Is it the #75 south?

Yep, take the #75 bus to the Royal Oak Exchange, and transfer to a #30 or #31 bus (which goes downtown, and also to the cruise terminal beyond downtown).

This is why I decided to rent a car, not in the mood to BUS it on my vacation ;)

By the way, don't forget to buy a DAYPASS so you can use it "unlimited" for the whole day you are in Victoria.

Hi...we have an evening port time also, I have a few questions.

We mostly just want to see the pretty buildings, shops etc. Should we walk or do a horse drawn carriage/trolley?

If we do walk, are there any neat little places for coffee/dessert?

Thanks

You should check out the Parliament Building, but you'll miss the Afternoon Tea in the beautiful Fairmount, but at least go in and see the decor:

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm

Most of the fancy coffee shops close at 5PM :(

You should check out the Parliament Building, but you'll miss the Afternoon Tea in the beautiful Fairmount, but at least go in and see the decor:

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm

Most of the fancy coffee shops close at 5PM :(

For a uniquely Victoria experience, try Murchie's Tea (1110 Government Street) for a nice coffee shop. It's an old Tea and Pastry shop right in the downtown core.

Looking at the bus schedule to Buchart Gardens,what do you look at from going downtown to the Gardens.There are so many places you can go from.Do not see anything that says downtown.

Looking at the bus schedule to Buchart Gardens,what do you look at from going downtown to the Gardens.There are so many places you can go from.Do not see anything that says downtown.

Royal Oak Exchange is the only "stop" that goes to the gardens, almost all other "departure places for the #75" do not go to the gardens (actually there is only one other spot but you'll see that on the schedule).

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/schedule.cfm?line=75& To get to Royal Oak Exchange from the pier, it's bus 30 or 31.

Follow from the LEFT to the RIGHT, you'll see that only Royal Oak departure times go to the gardens. Don't forget to print out the SOUTH bound times too (click SOUTH on the top left, it doesn't look like a link).

Buy a "day pass" if you plan on taking more than "2 round trips" to save $$$.

From downtown, catch a #30 or #31 bus and take it to "Royal Oak Exchange", switch to a #75 to take you to Butchart. Reverse the procedure to get back downtown.

Do you have to pay for each new bus are do they give transfers?
You get a ticket when you 1st board. It's good for 90 (pretty sure it's 90) minutes anywhere in the system. For short trips it means that a single fare will even get you there and back.

Where do you catch the 30 or 31 bus and in which direction? We will be at the cruise dock.

Exit the cruise facility, bus stop is on your left (don't cross the st, even if you see a bus, they're just heading down the street to turn around he'll be back in 5 mins).

This map shows it nicely. If you have any more questions please let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.419062,-123.375478&spn=0.01652,0.04549&z=15

So if we pay for a ticket on #31 we can save the same ticket for #75 within 90 minutes?

If we stay on 31 coming back will it take us up to Beacon Hill? Can we buy a day pass on the bus?

So if we pay for a ticket on #31 we can save the same ticket for #75 within 90 minutes?

If we stay on 31 coming back will it take us up to Beacon Hill? Can we buy a day pass on the bus?

When you pay your $2.25 you get a little piece of paper the size of a credit card, complete with magstripe on the back. Every subsequent bus, you can just use that ticket.

Your ticket is good on all BC Transit buses for 60 (it's 90 in Vancouver) minutes. That means as long as your ticket is less than 60 mins old when you board the bus, you're OK. So get on the #30 or 31 pay your $2.25 and get your ticket. Get off at Royal Oak Exchange (just tell the driver you need to transfer he'll explain where to wait at Royal Oak) and get on the #75.

You can only buy day passes $7 at stores that sell transit tickets. The closest according to http://www.bctransit.com is Little Gem Grocery at 148 Superior St, 4 blocks from the cruise terminal.

And I totally agree, I always try and ride the local buses when we go somewhere, you learn so much more than renting a car, and avoid the tour crowds.

We will be in Victoria this coming Tuesday and would like to go to Butchart Gardens. We will probably take the bus so am asking if they take US change. Also, how much would it be to get there and then again to get back?

If w can't use US change, how do we get Canadian coins before getting on the bus?

Thanks.

We are interested in either a bus or limo service taking us to Fisgard Lighthouse. We're looking to spend about two hours there exploring the lighthouse and fort. Can anyone recommend a transportation service or tour operator? My concern is that, if we take a cab, will there be cabs there waiting to take passengers back to the port area?

Any and all suggestions appreciated. TIA! :)

We will be in Victoria this coming Tuesday and would like to go to Butchart Gardens. We will probably take the bus so am asking if they take US change. Also, how much would it be to get there and then again to get back?

If w can't use US change, how do we get Canadian coins before getting on the bus?

Yes, US coin is taken at par. so bring lots of quarters :-)

Archived