OK -if its 10:30 a.m. in ROATAN....

cruzy-sue

My ship itinerary says I arrive in Roatan at 12:00 Noon..... My Roatan excursion says I should meet them at the dock at 10:30 a.m......

Can someone PLEEEZE explain Western Caribbean time vs. ship time.... The same goes for Cayman, Cozumel and Belize......HELP!!! Do I need to re-book my excursions?

It looks like "ship time" versus island time. When we cruised 2 weeks ago out of Cape Canavaral, we were told to keep our watches on EST. Some of the islands were in a different time zone, but the ship kept to their own time. If you make your own excursions, please verify "ship time". We learned that the hard way a few years back when we sat at the dock for over an hour waiting for our transporation.

Karen

Let your excursion 'Host' know which ship you are on...:) In most cases, they will adjust the tour 'time' to accomodate you!:D

I have told each vendor in Roatan and COZ when the ship is supposed to dock, and they tell me 'when/where' to meet them..:cool:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_HN.aspx

Current local time in Roatan is 2 hours behind EST

No, Current local time in Roatan is 2 hours behind EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), which is what we are currently observing in the Eastern US.

Roatan, along with the rest of Honduras, no longer observes daylight saving time, so that is why they are currently 2 hours behind Eastern time. When the Eastern US is on EST (Eastern Standard Time) then Roatan is only one hour behind Eastern time.

Most places in the tropics do not observe daylight saving time. The closer one is to the equator the less the seasonal variation in day length so DST isn't necessary. This is why western itineraries in summer have such large differences between ship and port time in central time zone ports. The flipside is that eastern itineraries are on the same time as the Florida home ports when DST is in effect.

Wait a second. So if the ship arrives in Roatan at 8 AM, it's only 6 AM?? If so, that means the ship leaves again at 3 PM, which is only 1 PM. That isn't much time to spend at a beach.

Does it really matter if it's 6A-1P or 8A-3P ?????

Same number of hours (7 hours) :confused:

No, Current local time in Roatan is 2 hours behind EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), which is what we are currently observing in the Eastern US.

Roatan, along with the rest of Honduras, no longer observes daylight saving time, so that is why they are currently 2 hours behind Eastern time. When the Eastern US is on EST (Eastern Standard Time) then Roatan is only one hour behind Eastern time.

Nyctor is correct. Sorry, I mis-spoke (mis-typed).

Yeah, I go to beaches early but have never gone to a beach at 6 A.M. I would think that would be too early to enjoy it.

But the beaches probably don't open until 9:00 so that's three hours of unusable time.

It all depends. You should give yourself an hour to get there, and plan on arriving no earlier than 7 am (9 am EDST), or 8 am (9 am EST). Get the actual beach "opening" time if there is one. Many beaches, such as Trunk Bay at St. John, don't have an opening time, and we were able to enjoy an empty beach for a few hours until the hoards arrived.

Yeah, I go to beaches early but have never gone to a beach at 6 A.M. I would think that would be too early to enjoy it.

When the Miracle was calling on Tortola, the time in port was 7 - 1, ship's time, and was one of the best beach days ever. By 9 am I was sipping painkillers on Cane Garden Bay.

You'd be surprised how nice an early morning beach can be.

Not sure what day the person who asked is in Roatan, but on May 12, sunrise is at 515am. If a ship arrived at 6am local, by the time a person got off and made it to the beach, I'm sure it would be a great time of day to stake out a location. Heck, it can get hot up here in Canada that time of year, let alone way down in Honduras.

Not sure what day the person who asked is in Roatan, but on May 12, sunrise is at 515am. If a ship arrived at 6am local, by the time a person got off and made it to the beach, I'm sure it would be a great time of day to stake out a location. Heck, it can get hot up here in Canada that time of year, let alone way down in Honduras.

Exactly. IMO the morning is the best weather of the day. The sun is still low so sunburn risk is lower than midday, and it is not as hot as afternoon. :cool:

Archived