Caribbean fly cruises - what are the arrangements?

tom_uk

I wonder if someone who's done a P&O Caribbean fly cruise could give me some information, please? I'm particularly wondering abut the transfer arrangements.

I understand that the ship spends about 36 hours (two days) in Barbados at the start/end of each cruise, and that it's possible to fly out either on the first or second day; and that this determines which day you fly home, i.e. either the day of arrival back at Barbados or the second day. In practice, which of these do people prefer? - to arrive on the day of sailing, or the day before? Which is easier, particularly with regard to body clocks on return?

Secondly, what time (typically) do the flights depart, both from the Uk to Barbados and from Barbados back to the UK? I assume that the flights back are fairly late as it says that arrival in the UK is 'the day after'; but does one arrive in the UK at breakfast time, or is it in the small hours of the night?

And finally - if the flights back are at tea-time/early evening, what are the arrangements during that day? Do you have sit around the airport at Barbados for hours?

I wonder if someone who's done a P&O Caribbean fly cruise could give me some information, please? I'm particularly wondering abut the transfer arrangements.

I understand that the ship spends about 36 hours (two days) in Barbados at the start/end of each cruise, and that it's possible to fly out either on the first or second day; and that this determines which day you fly home, i.e. either the day of arrival back at Barbados or the second day. In practice, which of these do people prefer? - to arrive on the day of sailing, or the day before? Which is easier, particularly with regard to body clocks on return?

Secondly, what time (typically) do the flights depart, both from the UK to Barbados and from Barbados back to the UK? I assume that the flights back are fairly late as it says that arrival in the UK is 'the day after'; but does one arrive in the UK at breakfast time, or is it in the small hours of the night?

And finally - if the flights back are at tea-time/early evening, what are the arrangements during that day? Do you have sit around the airport at Barbados for hours?

We flew out on the Friday. Spent Saturday out and about Barbados and on our return to Ventura, all the hectic tooing and fro-ings of the day, were over. I don't think I would like to be on board on the Saturday waiting for the flight home. Our Experiences is that the flights leave the UK between 8.00 and 11.00 am returning between 4.30 and 7.30 am. You only leave the ship in time to catch your flight allowing a two hour wait at the airport

Regards Cb

Tom

The two day turn round only applies to Ventura, (and in future to Azura) due to the number of passengers involved. Flight departure times from UK are usually 9am-12:00 arriving in Barbados in the afternoon. Flight time is 9hours. Compared to arriving at a USA airport the arrangements in Barbados are brilliant. The aircraft are parked away from the main terminal building and as you come down the aircraft steps, there is a fleet of small buses waiting for you and you just get on. No immigration and no waiting for luggage which follows later and is delivered to your cabin. The bus takes around 40min to get to the ship and there is a brief checkin and then you are on board. The ship sails at 8pm on Sat assuming the flights are on time. On you return you have to leave your cabin in the morning, but you stay on the ship until it is time to leave for your flight. If the incoming flight is late, you stay on board. Our neighbours flight was delayed 4 hours so they had dinner on board before leaving. Flights leave late afternoon/early evening arriving back in UK in the early hours of the morning, circa 6am.

Brian

We are on Ventura for Christmas/New Year and have opted for the full day in Barbados at the end of our cruise, otherwise we would have been flying home on New Year's Day and having to have our cases packed and outside our cabin during the evening of New Year's Eve, which we felt would have spoilt the party!

At any other time of year, to have the full day in Barbados at the start of your holiday would give you the option of an excursion in Barbados or spending the day exploring Ventura before she sails.

We are booked on the weekender in August to do our "recce" of the ship!

Carol x

• 2 weeks later...

our take on this is .....

we always fly friday as it's soul destroying to be on board for the evening and 2nd day as new passengers are wandering around 'exploring' the ship ..

have never had a problem with the luggage (last bags outside the door for midnight!) as we always use the arrival 2nd day in barbados to do any trips, then we are straight off after lunch as it arrives back in port, and like others have said, utilise the facilities on ship, have lunch and well, that's what cabin bags are for!! always have more than enough spare clothes that way!

the flights have been a bit of a pain since thomson merged with first choice... if you end up with thomas cook, then it appears they don't have the same - ' same seat as you flew out on' problems that thomson/first choice have, which is simply down to the fact that the B767's that the latter use are mostly different seat config's.. but hardly the end of the world as it appears to be to some!

the whole luggage - check in - bags in room - bags outside room - on airport baggage carousel thing that is done on cruises is in my opinion a brilliant aspect of the whole holiday

then as others have said, you're straight off the plane onto buses which are run like clockwork straight to the ship, and pretty much the same when returning too, aside from a security bag check etc on arrival at the airport..

the only problems with fly cruises are the bag limits, but we've found they are there more so to stop people taking liberties, and we've rarely heard of people getting 'fined' for being 1-2kg over! there are threads on this subject if you look hard enough, the way i see it is like this, if they were that bothered about the weight thing, then why the seemingly lack of concern about it when returning....believe me i may have not heard many stories about people being overweight going out, but know for a fact that many we meet/know have put out bags hugely over going back!!!

Archived