should I choose Oceanview lower deck or Inside cabin higher deck

aim-high

Hi All,

I am trying to book in NCL-Pearl for this summer. Looks like the cruise tickets are getting sold at a faster rate and I need to make a decision ASAP to book . The travel agent that I am contacting is saying that they have an Oceanview guarantee and a Inside cabin in Deck 8. The cost difference is only around $100. My question is should I go for Deck 8 confirmed cabin or should I take a chance going for Oceanview guarantee

I have never travelled on a cruise ship before so I am not sure the lower deck I go is it better or worse ?

Please advise

My question is should I go for Deck 8 confirmed cabin or should I take a chance going for Oceanview guarantee

I have never travelled on a cruise ship before so I am not sure the lower deck I go is it better or worse ?

Always go for the Oceanview room. The inside rooms feel like closets.

Better or worse for what?

Lower decks are better for stability --- less likely to feel ship rocking.

Higher decks are closer to the activities --- less time waiting for an elevator.

Personally : For $100 --- I would go w/ the Oceanview. But that's a personal preference. I like a window. And I have always loved the cabin I have gotten using guaranty.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, go for the oceanview for the $100 difference!!! The lower you are in the ship, the less movement you will feel. This is a good thing for anyone who is prone to seasickness. You will not be spending much time in your cabin. However, it is nice to wake up and see the beautiful scenery outside your window.

The problem I have with the 'Guaranteed' cabin is you're almost guaranteed (depending on the season) to get the least desirable cabin in that category. All the (non-guaranteed) passengers will select their desired cabins first and yours will be selected by the cruise line from the pool of the available cabins that have not been taken. You may luck out and get a really nice cabin in the same category but I wouldn't count on it.

The problem I have with the 'Guaranteed' cabin is you're almost guaranteed (depending on the season) to get the least desirable cabin in that category. All the (non-guaranteed) passengers will select their desired cabins first and yours will be selected by the cruise line from the pool of the available cabins that have not been taken. You may luck out and get a really nice cabin in the same category but I wouldn't count on it.

Seriously? I'd much rather "take my chances" and save enough for an incredible meal/excursion/souvenir than to pay the premium for a specific cabin number. Maybe I'm an optimist but I'd rather roll-the-dice and pocket the savings! :)

I will respectfully disagree with that. I used to book nothing BUT "inside guarantee" and always got a cabin that was just fine. Often I'd get an oceanview cabin.

People who are unable to make the cruise that they've booked & paid for leave vacant cabins that are then assigned to "guarantees" (happened to us once). People who get upgraded for some reason or another leave their original cabin which then gets assigned to a "guarantee". Some people like to say that if you book a guarantee you get a "leftover" that "no-one else wants". That's just not true all the time. Sometimes, yes, but not always.

However, if the location of your cabin is very important to you, and you know you'd not be happy in specific cabins (I don't want a porthole, thankyewveddymuch!) then book a specific cabin. JMHO, YMMV

Consider waking up each morning in total darkness in an inside cabin vs at least knowing when you open your eyes that it's daytime in an oceanview.

I'd want to natural light available in an oceanview.

Yes to the ocean view ... the inside cabins really are like large walk-in closets. Having some kind of window just makes your cabin feel bigger and brighter by bringing the natural sunlight and views to your room :)

I will respectfully disagree with that. I used to book nothing BUT "inside guarantee" and always got a cabin that was just fine. Often I'd get an oceanview cabin.

People who are unable to make the cruise that they've booked & paid for leave vacant cabins that are then assigned to "guarantees" (happened to us once). People who get upgraded for some reason or another leave their original cabin which then gets assigned to a "guarantee". Some people like to say that if you book a guarantee you get a "leftover" that "no-one else wants". That's just not true all the time. Sometimes, yes, but not always.

However, if the location of your cabin is very important to you, and you know you'd not be happy in specific cabins (I don't want a porthole, thankyewveddymuch!) then book a specific cabin. JMHO, YMMV

The key words in my response were "you're almost guaranteed (depending on the season) to get the least desirable cabin". Let me be more specific, if you're sailing during high season on a sold out ship, it is highly likely you will get a "leftover" that "no-one else wants". If you're sailing during low season, there are all kinds of bargains to be had.

Yes, passengers "always got a cabin that was just fine" and as I said "you may luck out". However, some people are under the impression that they're going to get a high category cabin for a steal. You can't count on "people who are unable to make the cruise that they've booked & paid for" or "people who get upgraded for some reason or another". Even if that does occur, there is no guarantee that you will get an upgraded cabin.

I have no problem with guaranteed cabins. Only with the expectations that people have regarding this type of booking. There are a lot of variables to consider when making this decision.

I tend to like inside cabins...they are great for sleep as they are DARK...we spend most of our time out of the cabin so a window or a balcony are not necessary FOR US. Now, we are going to Alaska in May, and for the first time we will be in an aft balcony room...don't want to miss any of the scenery so we splurged this year...will go back to insides after this because we go for the cruise part...not the room part...Jimmy:)

We have always cruised with inside rooms and have never felt like we were in a walk-in closet. Last year, we took a guarantee because of the price and got a horrific cabin that, if we were looking for something, could have ruined our cruise. We were completely forward, on the bottom deck, and got to hear the anchor raise and lower each time. Believe me, being woken up by the anchor at 5:00 a.m. SUCKS! We are only picking our room from now on! And, we love the inside!

Hi All,

I am trying to book in NCL-Pearl for this summer. Looks like the cruise tickets are getting sold at a faster rate and I need to make a decision ASAP to book . The travel agent that I am contacting is saying that they have an Oceanview guarantee and a Inside cabin in Deck 8. The cost difference is only around $100. My question is should I go for Deck 8 confirmed cabin or should I take a chance going for Oceanview guarantee

Please advise

For the $100 I would go for it and take my chances, if money is not an object.

I'd take the chance and book an oceanview guarantee. The Alaskan scenery is so fantastic that I wouldn't want to miss any of it. Even though you may spend most of your time outside on deck to get the best views, those few minutes or hours you are in your oceanview will at least offer you additional opportunities to see the beauty that is Alaska. The only way to see that beauty from an inside room is to turn your stateroom TV to the channel that shows the view from the bow of the ship.:)

Seriously? I'd much rather "take my chances" and save enough for an incredible meal/excursion/souvenir than to pay the premium for a specific cabin number. Maybe I'm an optimist but I'd rather roll-the-dice and pocket the savings! :)

While it's not perfectly clear, I think the oceanview guarantee costs $100 more.

While it's not perfectly clear, I think the oceanview guarantee costs $100 more.

Okay...so you lost me. I'm not sure what your comment addresses. My point was that a guarantee (for either an inside or an oceanview cabin) is usually much cheaper per passenger than a specific cabin selection (within that same category). You can take that savings and spend it in much better ways.

Okay...so you lost me. I'm not sure what your comment addresses. My point was that a guarantee (for either an inside or an oceanview cabin) is usually much cheaper per passenger than a specific cabin selection (within that same category). You can take that savings and spend it in much better ways.

Your post indicated that the OP should take the guarantee and use the money saved for a nice meal. The specific cabin being considered is an inside vs. an oceanview gty. for $100 more.

Now I see that you were responding in general to another post.

Now I see that you were responding in general to another post.

Yep...but as to the original question, I (like many here) would recommend spending the $100 to upgrade from an inside guarantee to an outside guarantee. Okay, so is everybody thoroughly confused and bored? :rolleyes:

Yep...but as to the original question, I (like many here) would recommend spending the $100 to upgrade from an inside guarantee to an outside guarantee. Okay, so is everybody thoroughly confused and bored? :rolleyes:

The inside cabin the OP is considering is not a guarantee. It's between a confirmed inside on deck 8 or an oceanview guarantee.

My point was that a guarantee (for either an inside or an oceanview cabin) is usually much cheaper per passenger than a specific cabin selection (within that same category). You can take that savings and spend it in much better ways.

I have never seen where a guarantee is cheaper than picking a specific cabin in the same category...They have always been the same price...Of course if you get a upgrade then there is a savings.

Archived