just off 9 Day NCL Jewel cruise with a 6mo

bliss_fully_happy

We just ended our most wonderful perfect cruise ever.

I will include my packing list below since that tends to be the major question.

Here is what was the key to our vacation - a suite. (I am sure if I had a babysitter, aka grandma, that would have worked also)

Embarkation and Day one - driving to the pier, we took 3 bags, a backpack, my breastpump bag and diaper bag and the big stroller. We could have carried on (because we walked out) but we did curb side check in. When we got on the ship our room was ready, so we went right there. Then we headed to Cagneys for lunch that is available to people in a suite category. Dinner that night was the buffet. They had set up a pack-n-play in our room. (We were in category AC.)

I set up the little couch as a changing station and I nursed each night in the chair. We removed two chairs from the table and placed them in the closet so the table still had 2 chairs but would fit against the wall to give us more room. I had them bring a highchair into the room for her meals. There was a curtain that we pulled each night to have a separation between the pack and play and the bed to simulate her being in her own room. (also the curtain worked well for naps during the day to block out the sun. The room curtain let in a little too much light.) Dad blew up the duck tub and we were in business.

So we wandered the ship in the stroller and all was well. Dinner we ate at Blue lagoon. We were all wiped, so after bedtime routine, we just went to bed.

Days at sea - Awoke most days at 8am (not including the 4am feeding). I learned that if I pulled the second curtain next to the bed to block out the sun we got extra sleep since sunrise got earlier and earlier the more east we went. This cruise was a 9 day to the southern Caribbean.

Went to Cagney's for breakfast every morning. We would have lunch either in the courtyard or at Cagneys. Sometimes we did the buffet but I found it to be easier to be served lunch rather than to try and manage a stroller and plates. Our little girl was quite a hit all over the ship. We had the butler bring dinner 2 times. One night I want to Tapenyaki. She went with, and was fussy. I had dad join us and they nearly charged him to stand there and rock a stroller.

I also found I could do bedtime routine and put her to sleep in the stroller and my husband would go to the early show while i did this and then he would watch her while I caught the late show. Though I did take the stroller to the wheelchair area during the comedian show and she slept right through it. I even went to Azura one night with her sound to sleep in the reclined stroller with blankets over it to make it dark.

I had brought my monitor (which I LOVE because it is an Angel Care that monitors breathing as well.) So naps were not so bad. I would put her down for a nap and then go onto the balcony and lay out for an hour or so. One really cool thing about the suites is the ship phone. My husband kept that phone and I could call it and find him to join him after naps and feedings.

Now for the duck! She LOVED it. That duck tub was so fun. We took it poolside and we put it on the balcony for her. She just kicked and splashed the water. So fun. Our room does have a tub and i learned that a partially rolled up towel makes for a good headrest and anti slipping mat.

Ports - we only went off the ship 2 times, Antigua and St Lucia. I knew we would not be going anywhere via car, so I did not bring our car seat. This trip was not about excursions for us. We walked around and shopped in Antigua. St Lucia is a long story, but we essentially walked around there as well. I was not going to tender so Samana we did not attempt to get off the boat. It was raining in Barbados so we hung out on the boat that day as well.

Disembarkation, with many diapers and wipes used I was able to consolidate the breast pump into the backpack. So one less bag for the way home. We had VIP disembarkation. That was nice to be one of the first ones off the ship. To do that we had to carry everything off ourselves. It was fine. Soon enough we were on our way home. Wishing we were still on the ship.

Packing list:

power strip, cereal and food needed, 2 bowls, 3 spoons, diapers - count for what you need, Swim Diapers - 1 pack, wipes, pump, horns, bottles, nipples, drop ins, bottle brush, dish soap, milk bags, baby soap, lotion, desitin, bedtime book, plastic bags, pacifiers, baby towels, burp cloths, bibs, blankets, baby toys, baby carrier/sling, stroller, little noses, mylicon drops, baby Tylenol, Neosporin, Band-Aids, Swim suit, 10 outfits, all sleepers, hats, sunscreen, Blow up tub, sunglasses, Clorox wipes, beach tent, stain remover, baby thermometer, bulb aspirator thingy, nail clippers, tweezers, hand sanitizer, car seat, sound machine, monitor, pumped milk, Sippy cup, pedialyte, dark brown karo syrup

My husband and I were married in St Lucia and have tried for 2 years to no avail to get a copy of our marriage license. Since we docked in town we thought, let's give this a shot. We walked 4 blocks, stroller and all, to the Registry of Civil Status. This place is similar to the worst BMV you have ever seen in the states. Along with what felt like every St Lucian on the island, we sat there for 4 hours and they still could not find our marriage certificate. (Every St Lucian must get a new Birth Certificate, that is why it was so packed). So, we had to leave to make the ship. They are going to mail it to us. This is still the abridged version of what all that entailed, but it was not really pertinent to the review itself. Made for a unique experience in St Lucia.

Archived