ya'll have me concerned now!

mjkjhick

RCI says they don't know if Mariner will be going to Caymans Dec 23 and to contact port authority. They show a number of ships there that day, which contradicts RCI who says only 2 a day, although I asked the same question last week and was told 4 ships a day then.....who to believe? NOthing on the RCI website either and my agent doesn't know......geesh! who actually has the last word on this? Will it just be a big surprise til cruise day?

It's been a while, but I was in Cayman in March 2003, and there were 6 ships tendering (Century, Magic, Inspiration, Splendour of the Seas, Mistral and NCL Dawn). Have further restrictions been put in place since then by the port? It was very (too) crowded that day.

Edit - There is a website that specifies all ships tendering to Cayman each day. It is http://www.caymanport.com. I wish all ports had sites with this info. There are several days in December that have 6 ships.

Because of the damage caused by the hurricanes this year, they were closed for a while to all tourists. They are now accepting cruise ships, but they limit the number per day. The port authorities have the final say and make the decisions on who is invited to tender on a particular day. A lot can change in the next few weeks and RCI probably does not know for sure if they will be going or not. Plan to be there, but don't be disappointed if you don't make it.

Because of the damage caused by the hurricanes this year, they were closed for a while to all tourists. They are now accepting cruise ships, but they limit the number per day. The port authorities have the final say and make the decisions on who is invited to tender on a particular day. A lot can change in the next few weeks and RCI probably does not know for sure if they will be going or not. Plan to be there, but don't be disappointed if you don't make it.

according to the Caymen Port website the date we are planning to get there , jan. 28, there are reportedly 6 cruise ships tendering into Caymen.. i have not heard anything about limiting the cruise ships to two or four a day.. and they don't indicate that on their website..

The Port only cleared the schedule out for November and December. January had not been updated the last time I checked. I wouldn't trust it past December.

The Port decides how many ships/people it can handle. When cruiseships were allowed back in the first two weeks in November, it was supposed to be limited to 1-2 ships per day. This obviously was not a hard and fast rule since I was there November 11th when 4 ships were in port for the first time since before Ivan. One was a RCCL ship. The Explorer was in port twice last month, so why it would not continue to stop is a mystery.

Not sure how repairs to the north dock are going, but that would allow more tenders to operate.

In any event, it is not just the port, but the cruiselines themselves that decide. Is GC up to their "standards" or not. Depends on how many complaints they receive. To me, a day in GC beats a day at sea or a day somewhere else. But perhaps they received too many complaints. Perhaps they had trouble tendering, but the Explorer isn't that much bigger than the Conquest which I was on.

For those lucky enough to be allowed into GC, try to remember that this is an island that is still recovering from a CAT 5 hurricane and that things may not go as smoothly as you would like. OTOH, now is one of the best times to go, before the 7-8 cruiseships/day are allowed back in.

I don't know if this helps or not but I did notice that RCCL took down their warning a week or so ago that said that they were currently not stopping in the Cayman Islands but hope to return soon. Now when you click on the Grand Cayman link it just gives you the regular information and no mention of not stopping.

We were on the Inspiration last week and in GC 11/29. There were 4 ships in port that day- one of which was a RCCL ship (have to get the pictures back to remember which one! lol!)

Only the South pier was open and very crowded! Again- have patience! This island is recovering slowly! You will see when you get there how Ivan put it's mark on the island!

Have a great cruise!

Sue

We were there on 11/11 also along with 2 large Carnival ships and a Princess ship. There were lines waiting for taxies, the stores were busy, but the island is recovering. Private tour vendors are getting back into operation. As always, GC can be cancelled due to tides and weather, too. Sure hope you get to visit.

Bon Voyage

mjkjhick.

We were there just over a week ago and there were six ships in port (Navigator of the Seas, Seven Seas Navigator, Grand Princess, Veedam, and Carnival Triumph). We did not have any problems with taxies or crowds.

As Nanatravel says, there are still rebuilding but it was our favorite port of call. We spent the day with Capt. Marvin's Watersports, and expect the driver locking his keys in the bus, it was without incident.

Plan on having a good time. Ron

Thanks for posting the website for Cayman port...I just checked it, and our ship is supposed to be stopping at Grand Cayman on 2/3/05, but I do not see it listed...hhHmmm...it is Rhapsody of the Seas, RCI. Wonder if they will visit another port that day, or have an extra day at sea.

Kathy

Thanks for posting the website for Cayman port...I just checked it, and our ship is supposed to be stopping at Grand Cayman on 2/3/05, but I do not see it listed...hhHmmm...it is Rhapsody of the Seas, RCI. Wonder if they will visit another port that day, or have an extra day at sea.

Kathy

THis site may help you:

cruisecal.com

Kathy

The day we were in GC (New Year's Day) the Cayman port site showed us being the only ship in port, but there was a RCCL ship there also.

Archived