Goff's Caye for retired and small kids? Lots of ?'s

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

I am still I trying to decide what to do in Belize, we will be on Carnival Miracle. I really want to snorkle here, but my parents may or may not want to and my kids are too small to do so (2 and 4). I want to pick an excursion that will work for all of us. I guess I am picturing this as a TINY island. Is there plenty of shade? Are there bathrooms/showers? Is their any shops? How long would you say the boat ride was? Was the boat covered? Is their time to do this excursion and still go the the national handy craft center? I am driving myself crazy trying to decide what to do here, lol. Thank you. :) :)

Trying again eh? Have you read all the descriptions of the tours at Carnival's web site? I think the closest possible match is the shark ray alley tour - snorkel with nurse sharks and rays, then to Ambergris /San Pedro for lunch and shopping. Most boats offer enough shade for your other party members until you get to the island.

But all the other snorkel opportunities: Goff, Rendezvous, and Seargent's are similar - snorkel + deserted islands. You must climb out of the boat and may have to wade or even swim a short way to the island. There is little to no shade for the time at the island. But, the Goff's trip is 3.5 hrs total, with probably 1.2 hour each way,so it's a couple hours in the sun. There is a port-o-potty. Usually somebody is making and selling some food & drink. Sometimes there is someone selling trinkets but no shops.

Good luck! It's hard to satisfy a diverse group...

Guest Time2gocruzn

It's hard to satisfy a diverse group...

Ain't that the truth! I am in charge of planning for our group, tho don't remember volunteering for it, lol!

Is the Shark/ray tour you spoke of a ship tour? Also, do you know if you see reef on this tour? I am not real fond of the idea of being swarmed by the rays, tho I think I can handle the sand bar at GC, which we plan to do. I am more interested in the reef in Belize, I heard it is one of the best places in the world to snorkle, so really want to do so. Ambergris sounds nice, but not sure if it is the snorkeling I am looking for.

So now I think I have narrowed it down to Goff's or Rendezvous, but like you said, sounds like there's not much difference. As long as there is a beach for gma and the kids to hang out on, I think we may be safe. Just want to be sure there is some shade available in case it is too hot for them, ya know?

I would really like to hear if someone has been to both, which they think is nicer.

We did Carnival's Goff's Caye tour last December and took our 1 yr old and had a blast. There were covered areas in the boat but we stayed out in the open, it was not a long ride to the caye at all. We stopped in some mangroves on the way to pass out snorkling gear and were at the caye shortly after that. Our boat pulled right up to the dock and we easily got off and walked over to the beach. We took one of those pop-up cabanas with us for shade and it worked out really well, they take up no space and my DH and DD napped under it while I snorkled. The other nice thing is the tour starts and ends right at the ship so you don't have to take a tender then transfer to another boat for the tour.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Thanks Zeta. Do you remember if your one year old had to pay full price for the tour? I called Carnival and they were not helpful AT ALL, and couldn't tell me if and/or what my kids would have to pay to go. Makes a big difference in the price of our day, ya know?! I am pretty sure this is where we want to go, just trying to decide if we want to do it thru the ship, or take a private tour. Carnival is so stingy w/ the details and I am a planner, I need more info!! LOL!!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Thanks dmoseley. Are there lots of co's offereing tours there? I would be so dissapointed if we missed going. Do the operators wait for us there? I am worried about timing.

By the way. I am related to several Moseleys, spelled the same, 2 e's, lol.

We were originally scheduled to take a cave tubing trip, but apparently the company we went with didn't wait for us. As we were walking around the area, there were several boats going out on snorkeling tours. At that time we knew nothing of the area, we just picked one that already had several people on the boat. What an amazing experience. This is pretty much how we plan to do it in Jan.

Not to often do I meet Moseley's with two "e"s

Guest Time2gocruzn

Awesome! Thanks Zeta! If I only have to pay for my 4 yo, and not my 1 yo, I guess I can deal with that. Thanks for your info, and if you could post when you get back that would be great too!!:)

Oh, edited to add, what other excursions did you take your 1 yo on? Were all your excursions ship tours? Thanks again!

We did all ship tours with her.

In Cozumel we went to Passion Island which was wonderful. It was not crowded, the food was very good, drinks were good we enjoyed it a lot. It was not a party beach atmosphere like playa sol.

In Roatan we went to Tabayana beach also wth a ship tour and that was easy too. She enjoyed the beach a lot and DH and I were able to relax and I did some awesome snorkling. The snorklng from the beach here was amazing saw lots of HUGE fish a few yards out and the water was crystal clear.

We missed Grand Cayman due to weather but we had planned to do stingray city with Native Way.

Archived