great shopping place in Quito

Kami's pal

I first posted this on Celebrity's thread, but as was suggested, I think this is also an appropriate site.

artists' village in Quito

I've been putting my souvenirs away, and I remembered that there is one place I didn't mention nor has anyone else. It is a special shopping place. On Saturday afternoon of Xpedition's precruise package, the last stop is the Middle of the Earth (Equator) Park. When my group got there, the guide casually mentioned that the heritage buildings beside the park were now being used by local artists. She didn't say anything more. I hurried through the museum by myself and managed to get 45 minutes to explore. I found a treasure trove; independent artists selling their creations. I wish that I could have gone back. Or perhaps had been savvy enough to stay there and take a taxi back to the hotel. I also hadn't enough cash on me. Credit cards were not accepted by Richard, who carves lovely unique items out of semi precious stone. I paid only $60 US for a beautiful 8 inch humming bird sipping from a rose. Several times during the day the guide had mentioned that humming birds are very common in Ecuador, (actually, I seem to remember her saying 142 different species) and there are roses everywhere! This place was so much better than the usual t-shirt booths we had been seeing. So besides the unique beauty in the Galapagos islands, there is this artists' village.

Something else to bring? BUBBLE WRAP! Richard wrapped my sculpture in toilet paper. I tried to cushion it with clothing but it did break apart. I can mend it, but ... oh well. Experience is the best teacher

So in case you're still thinking of Xpedition, here is another lighlight to enduce you to go.

everittp@shaw.ca

Kami's Pal

Thanks for that. I will print it out as we are going to Quito and doing a Galapagos cruise but not with X.

We have to wait until January, 2006 but time is going and I know it will soon come. I will also look up your report on the Celebrity board as I may also learn something from that.

Jennie

Archived