Aft Balcony - Loungers?

dawnprincess

Hi,

DH and I just booked a corner Aft Balcony Cat. BB Caribe deck #752 on Caribbean Princess. Some photos show 4 straight chairs and others show loungers. Can we ask our cabin steward to replace 2 of the straight chairs with loungers? We did that on Royal Caribbean, but just want to check if anyone has done this on Princess with any luck.

We have had aft facing category BB balconies on our last 4 cruises (Caribbean Princess x2, Crown and Emerald). Prior to the Star Princess fire, it was common to find a pool lounger on these balconies. Since the fire and the switch to new fire retardant balcony furniture, no loungers have been present.

We asked the cabin steward on our last 2 cruises for pool lounger on the balcony and were told - No in 2007 and in Dec. 2008 told No and - not allowed as not fire retardant. Cabine steward then went on to say please do not bring one down from pool yourself as he will get in trouble from his supervisor if it is seen during cabin inspections. We assumed this had happened to him before.

So - based on our experience - no you not find a lounger on C752 balcony and one will not be provided if requested.

Sorry!

And to add a bit more to the bad news............. Princess is no longer providing new chairs that recline. As they break, that's it.

We know because ours broke and could not be replaced because there weren't any more. Amail explained to us that they are phasing out these types of chairs with the build in recliners and replacing them with straigh back chairs (that do not recline). He had a 'carpenter' come and reweld the bolt on the chair three times. Each time it broke. I am guessing that the recliner is now long gone out of B754 and has been replaced by a chair that does not recline.

On the CB, our next door neighbors in B752 already had their reclyinging chairs removed and had only two regular chairs (where the back didn't move). In B750 there were two regular chairs and one reclining chair. In B756 there were still 4 chairs. Two that reclined and two straight back.

At this point, the only consistent thing about balcony furniture on the Baja deck of the CB is that the arrangement is inconsistent.

Cheryl :)

I was arguing (?) this point on a thread just a bit ago, but can't remember which one it was.

Some were saying they have been able to have lounges brought in, even recently.

But we have not seen any onboard or heard of them bringing the lounges since shortly after the Star fire.

But I was told I was wrong, so now I am not sure what to think. Each time we have talked to the room stewards, we have been told they could be in big trouble if they brought a pool lounge onto a balcony.

Let me try to find that thread.

Edited: Here ya go- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=968259&highlight=

I was the one who had loungers on every cruise until this last February (even got one in January).

Could someone explain how a plastic lounger could be a fire hazard and why aren't the WOODEN loungers on the suite balconies considered fire hazards?

I was the one who had loungers on every cruise until this last February (even got one in January).

Could someone explain how a plastic lounger could be a fire hazard and why aren't the WOODEN loungers on the suite balconies considered fire hazards?

I have no idea, maybe they are fire retardent in some way in the suites? No clue!

But the plastic balcony furniture seemed to feed the fire on the Star by melting and spreading the blaze, from what I have read!

It's a shame. DH enjoys a balcony no matter what. I don't enjoy sitting in a straight hard chair for more than 10 minutes. Eating on balcony is fine. But if I want to read and relax I want a lounger that reclines and I can put my feet up. Doesn't seem like rocket science that if they can make flame-retardant straight chair, they could also make loungers the same way. :(

It's a shame. DH enjoys a balcony no matter what. I don't enjoy sitting in a straight hard chair for more than 10 minutes. Eating on balcony is fine. But if I want to read and relax I want a lounger that reclines and I can put my feet up. Doesn't seem like rocket science that if they can make flame-retardant straight chair, they could also make loungers the same way. :(

I agree! It really made a difference to me on that last cruise! I tried to pull the little table up and put my feet on it but it wasn't comfortable. It may sound silly to some but it really took away from my enjoyment of the trip. Reading on my own nice, quiet balcony is one of my favorite things about cruising! :(:(:(

Archived