Bermuda Accent or Dialect?

ieatchickens

Just curious as to how the natives in Bermuda talk. Do people there talk with a British Accent or does Bermuda's proximity to the US influence the language with a southern accent?

I have never seen this topic brought up and was real curious how the natives speak.

:confused:

Proximity has no influence so no southern accent, unless it's an American who happens to be living there.;)

You will find British accents as well as other accents that reflect the cultural diversity such as Portuguese, African, Spanish-Caribbean and probably a number of others.

Ve do truly av our own vay of speakin!

http://www.fourstar.bm/entry/fourstar/bvurds.html

If you go to the above link on the Four Star Pizza website you will find a listing of Bermewjun vurds and axplanations. A good laugh. Sorry, not sure how to make a link work but that is the site.

Of course, this is the extreme and most of us have variations on different accents depending on our heritage, education and various influences.

Just curious as to how the natives in Bermuda talk. Do people there talk with a British Accent or does Bermuda's proximity to the US influence the language with a southern accent?

I have never seen this topic brought up and was real curious how the natives speak.

:confused:

Take a trip there and see how they speak :-)

It is possibly dependent on where you are from on how you think Bermudians speak. I grew up in the midwest and have lived the last 25 or so in Maryland near Washington, DC. To me they sound like people from the US Mid Atlantic region. I don't hear a British accent or a deep south accent.

Take a trip there and see how they speak :-)

It is possibly dependent on where you are from on how you think Bermudians speak. I grew up in the midwest and have lived the last 25 or so in Maryland near Washington, DC. To me they sound like people from the US Mid Atlantic region. I don't hear a British accent or a deep south accent.

I am way ahead of you Chuck! Check my signature!

I prowl these threads often and was wondering how much of an international feel will Bermuda have being so close to the US and a thought hit me, how do they speak?

Since I am from the upper mid west (think the movie Fargo) I will anticipate some type of accent.

I am way ahead of you Chuck! Check my signature!

I prowl these threads often and was wondering how much of an international feel will Bermuda have being so close to the US and a thought hit me, how do they speak?

Since I am from the upper mid west (think the movie Fargo) I will anticipate some type of accent.

I love the movie Fargo and that accent. I think the Bermudian accent will probably sound like a southern accent to you, but not a deep southern accent.

Archived