Diamonds International

Has anyone bought anything from them on their website?

I saw a strand of pearls in St Thomas and they wanted $650.00 but then I checked on their website and they want $137.50.

I really liked them and was wondering if it is safe to buy from them online.

Has anyone bought anything from them on their website?

I saw a strand of pearls in St Thomas and they wanted $650.00 but then I checked on their website and they want $137.50.

I really liked them and was wondering if it is safe to buy from them online.

They're quite a bit overpriced. They then offer a steep discount off the sticker price to entice you to buy. The difference you're seeing seems about right. :cool:

Thanks for the reply but do you think it is safe to buy from them online?

I probably wouldn't be any more nervous there than another website. I was just saying before the spread between prices didn't seem out of line for them. But I have no first-hand knowledge using them. Sorry. :cool:

I purchased a ring from DI in Cozumel at the outlet DI and after having it appraised at home found that it appraised for more than twice as much as I paid for it.

I personally would not be afraid to order from them online. I think they are a reputable company.

Regarding your pearls, I would think that they are not the same pearls that you saw for $650. Pearl prices vary depending on pearl size and quality. Also the clasp could be more valuable, especially if it is gold. I was in China a couple of years ago and found a considerable range of prices from $300 into the thousands of dollars.

I bought their gold tone charms for $5 online from them. In Skagway I could buy extra ones not offered anymore for $5 each and that's what DI wanted at their online store. I bought 5 for that charm bracelet for the ports I know I'll never get to and they didn't charge shipping. Everything came in good shape and in good time.

My wife is in the ultimate shopper league and she has found, in most DI stores are no better prices than stores in the US. There may be some differences in some ports, but over all prices are the about the same as in the US. DI must be partly owned by RC or they pay a handsome kick back to RC to advertise on board. I will tell you that Sam's club, no Cost- co near us, all though limited in jewelry types, is much cheaper than DI on gold. I even saw a TV show with a good size 18K gold chain that beat every one's price.

Also, Sams club had better prices on some perfumes even with the tax.

No I do not work for Wamart.

Having said all that, If you find that special got to have jewelry piece, DI is good company to deal with.

On our honeymoon cruise, we met another couple who the husband was a jeweler. We went shopping with him one day, and it really is scary how overpriced some of those jewelry stores are. You can negotiate hard, and get a decent deal, but from what I have found, you are not going to save much at all from a US based store (not the chains). I'd rather give the business to my local jeweler, and have the service after the sale.

The guy I met on the cruise was good, he looked at my wife's stone and almost verbatim spit back the GIA certification (he missed the clarity because the blemish was hidden in the mounting).

On our honeymoon cruise, we met another couple who the husband was a jeweler. We went shopping with him one day, and it really is scary how overpriced some of those jewelry stores are. You can negotiate hard, and get a decent deal, but from what I have found, you are not going to save much at all from a US based store (not the chains). I'd rather give the business to my local jeweler, and have the service after the sale.

The guy I met on the cruise was good, he looked at my wife's stone and almost verbatim spit back the GIA certification (he missed the clarity because the blemish was hidden in the mounting).

That must have been really interesting to tour the shops with him! :)

That must have been really interesting to tour the shops with him! :)

I'll let you know his findings...

When looking at stones, they were generally competitively priced for the grading that was listed, but generally were listed at 1-2 steps better than they actually were on all 4 "C"s.

Legally, diamonds can be listed up to 1 grade higher than they are (if not certified), but most stores were pushing this pretty hard, like if a stone was borderline S1 or S2, it would be listed as VS2.

Man!! Now *that's* how to do it... *Marry a Jeweler*!! :p

I think I'd check somewhere local. You can get amazing deals from QVC because they can buy in such bulk - and no problems with returns/exchanges, including "buyers' remorse."

I really believe the days of getting a "deal" in the islands are long gone. If you see a piece that you feel is unique and you must have it then, by all means, buy it, but don't expect a "deal." BTW, jewelry SHOULD appraise for at least 2x what you've paid for it, that's always been my experience - but that does not mean that you can get that much for it if you decide to sell either.

I think I'd check somewhere local. You can get amazing deals from QVC because they can buy in such bulk - and no problems with returns/exchanges, including "buyers' remorse."

I really believe the days of getting a "deal" in the islands are long gone. If you see a piece that you feel is unique and you must have it then, by all means, buy it, but don't expect a "deal." BTW, jewelry SHOULD appraise for at least 2x what you've paid for it, that's always been my experience - but that does not mean that you can get that much for it if you decide to sell either.

I have purchased several strands of Honora pearls from QVC. Great quality and prices. So if you are looking for quality at a good price check them out.

Archived