Heading to Alaska, need advice.

Chris64

Just booked a cruise for sailing from Vancouver to Whittier. Was going to wait until next year, but found a deal too good to pass up. Been on 8 previous cruises (all carribean). Need all the advice I can get for this cruise. i.e... type of clothes (day, night), what to do on board (used to hanging out by the pool with the DODs, don't think that is an option here) and ANYTHING anyone can suggest! It will be most appreciated.

Just booked a cruise for sailing from Vancouver to Whittier. Was going to wait until next year, but found a deal too good to pass up. Been on 8 previous cruises (all carribean). Need all the advice I can get for this cruise. i.e... type of clothes (day, night), what to do on board (used to hanging out by the pool with the DODs, don't think that is an option here) and ANYTHING anyone can suggest! It will be most appreciated.

.....when are you traveling? That would be a big help.

:confused:

wasiii

I have asked many questions re Alaska CC members have answered

Clothing =Layers and layers rainproof windproof-hat scarf gloves mitts if you plan to sit out for hours to watch scenery

When are you going?

Casual clothes -comfortable shoes

Go to Alaska board to find out about excursions and places to see .Lots of wonderful pictures

Bring $$$$ Alaska is not cheap excursions are high but hey you only go once so do your best to plan ahead

I have been reading about Alaska for the past few weeks >i;ve taken notes .I know what I want to do .I hope the weather cooperates

Bon Voyage I can't wait to go!!!

Michele

Sailing on May 13th. Searching all the boards to get to get as much info as possible. Been wanting to do this trip for a long time, just not sure what to expect/pack since all my previous cruises were Carribean.

We did a mid-May cruise on Princess to Alaska in 2008. Alaskan weather is notoriously unpredictable, but plan on cold and rain. Much of the time we were in the Inside Passage, both at sea and on land, we were in full rain gear - jacket, pants and boots - and many times it was cold and windy enough to warrant thermal underwear and multiple layers. When we took the White Pass Railway excursion, it was snowing like crazy in the upper elevations of the mountains.

Hope this helps.

I just got a VERY warm waterproof /windproof jacket with hood -dirt cheap at SEARS

Jeans/corduroys /warm socks seem to be the staple here .Tshirts hoodies and windbreaker That is what I will be taking -Layers and layers If you are hot remove a layer/ cold add one

Because you are going in May I would definitely bring a warm jacket .

In Montreal and we are much further south then Alaska things start to bloom mid MAY so I would think there would still be snow in Alaska

Sneakers are a must or very covered shoes/ BOOTS???

Apparently you CAN swim in pool or hot tub -soak not swim !!!!on Spirit -it is covered and heated On ship people are very casual .I plan to be as well .Slacks and long sleeve tops for evening wear .

Juneau is THE place for whales -out on water COVER UP scarf and mitts

Ketchican Sitka are for walking and wildlife exursions /Totems and Indians Russian Heritage

Skagway is to go to Yukon and Emerald Lake I will go with local minivan operator

I have been preparing for a few weeks

Please tell us about your trip when you get back I am only going in July

On the Alaska board I have found AMAZING advice and PICTURES WOW is all I can say

Alaska excursions are expensive

If you can do one in Whittier PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND glaciers

It apparently is great Of course depending when you arrive drop your luggage off and go or arrange it with Carnival they will take care of your stuff if you book with them

.The boats leave at about noon for a 5 hour minicruise up close to Glaciers- ship leaves at 9 pm

I plan to do this one because they really get close to GLACIERS and the Ship does not

I hope to have helped

I'm not taking any chances I am bringing all kinds of clothes for warm to very cool weather Air Canada does not charge for Luggage so I will not be travelling light

Bon Voyage

Michele

Thanks for all the replies so far. Unfortunely, we are flying Delta and they do charge for luggage, so will have to pack carefully. Started all the excursion research and have it narrowed down to a few at each stop, now just need to bring it down to one at each.

Another question. We are flying into Vancouver the day before (12th) and staying at the Marriott. Is there somewhere nearby to pick up a couple of bottles of wine before we board? Don't want to take up luggage space with the wine. Already ordered a bottle of Crown from the Bonn Voyage department.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hey, Chris. My wife and I will be on the Spirit with you May 13. I too couldn't resist the great price and I see the price is still dropping. My balcony is about $20 less now than when I bought it around the first of this month. It may be worth checking the cost to upgrade if the price is right. I was able to go from an OV to a balcony for about $70 PP. I've read that a balcony is the only way to go on the AK route.

Like you, this will be our first AK trip after several Carib cruises. If you would like to chat more about the trip you can email me. My addy is frank .or. cheryl at gmail dot com. Remove the spaces of course.

Frank

We sailed Alaska last May and I would say check the weather before but you won't need the clothes you think. Unless you are going out on a glacier - no need for snow boots. In Skagway DON"T do the Tram tour thinking you will go hiking. We had prepurchased our tickets through the ship and got up there and ALL the trails were closed because it was still too snowy. I was ticked. We would have planned something else for the day but I thought a nice hike mid trip would be good.

We had sweatshirts, long underwear, winter coat - and we didn't need it.

I would take a couple of sweatshirts and a waterproof jacket that can be layered under - you can wear the sweatshirts under the jacket.

You will need a hat and gloves. A couple pair of jeans for lounging around the ship because it seems to me an Alaskan cruise is very laid back. I had a couple people complaining one night about the lack of night life - it was because you had to go to bed by 9 - 10 pm because our ship docked every morning at 7-8 am so you had to be up or you would miss excursions.

I sprayed my clothes with water repelant - in the camping aisle at Wal-mart - so they would stay dry if it was misting. It washes out after so many washes. I just sprayed lightly. I did my shoes too.

Archived