OK, so the price of cruise air dropped

CLEMM

I booked not even a month ago for a crusie in October of 2010. I booked the cruise air because the price of tickets for that far out is not even available yet. That being the case, how is it that the price of the cruise air for my trip has gone down? I often check back for price reductions but I didn't really expect to see one this far out. The difference is $130.00 pp, which is no small change. Last crusie this happened, although much closer to cruise time, and my TA told me reductions in airfare would not be refunded, only in the cruise price. But this far out? I guess I could cancel and then rebook, but that is annoying since I have my cabin of choice. Sigh. Any advice? Opinions? Comments? It is a long way to cruise time and I don't want my TA to get annoyed, but still...

You can cancel cruise air without canceling your room. Air price won't be set for a long time. You can check on their price later and then add it if you want. I have never seen cruise air cheaper than what we can book ourselves. Especially knowing we can book on our schedule and airline of choice. Altho if it's some "exotic" destination, you might find it advantagous.

My cruise also was reduced for my cruise in Oct. 2010. I have no TA so I called Celebrity directly and they reduced my airfare, without cancelling and rebooking.

If I can do it directly, I am sure your TA can do it. If not, I'd be shopping for a new TA.

Thanks! I did call my TA. I sometimes feel bad when I have to bother her for price drops, especially this far out, but money saved can go towards my bar bill ;). She is looking into the price drop. Idon't want to cancel the air yet, because I won't know for some time if I can beat the price. I just want the reduction at this point. Thanks for your advice!

Don't worry about annoying your TA, that's their job. I bet it's just your concern, especially since you may end up cancelling the Air Fare you are asking the TA to check on the reduction. I'm sure your TA sees it as providing you service and loves doing it because you'll come back in the future. TA's are always on/off the internet, email and phone getting better deals and so on, and you should feel good you have one instead of doing it yourself.

If you are getting vibes from your TA that this is a 'problem', time to get another TA.

Denny

Thanks! I did call my TA. I sometimes feel bad when I have to bother her for price drops, especially this far out, but money saved can go towards my bar bill ;). She is looking into the price drop. Idon't want to cancel the air yet, because I won't know for some time if I can beat the price. I just want the reduction at this point. Thanks for your advice!

Your cruise is likely to drop many times before sailing date. Watch frequently and don't be afraid to notify your agent as SOON as you see the price drop, as they often are there for a just a few days at a time. And your agent needs to move on it as soon as you notify her. If she stalls, move to a differnt agent. It's her job.

I think Denny01 is right and this is just my concern. My TA seemed happy to do it, got the reduction ans told me that they watch for drops but if I see it first I should call again. So I will!

I just checked the air on my Solstice Med cruise this fall. Cruise air is double what I can get it for myself, even with my deviations, and more than the cruise itself in a veranda cabin. I don't know what they are thinking, but that is WAY too high for me. Plus I like being able to select all my own flights, come in early, leave days later from a different airport, etc. without having to pay a penalty and leaving the flight planning up to them--scary! So be sure to check what you can get on your own before accepting their choices.

Cathy

Oh believe me, I intend to check prices on my own as soon as they are available. Having said that, I sometimes end up going with cruise air because they can and do sometimes beat the price. On my med cruise I got direct flights to Venice 2 days pre cruise, and direct home from Barcelona 2 days post cruise with no deviation fee for hundreds less than any carrier I could get on my own. Sometimes cruise air is a good buy and sometimes not. You always have to check and then re check.

Oh believe me, I intend to check prices on my own as soon as they are available. Having said that, I sometimes end up going with cruise air because they can and do sometimes beat the price. On my med cruise I got direct flights to Venice 2 days pre cruise, and direct home from Barcelona 2 days post cruise with no deviation fee for hundreds less than any carrier I could get on my own. Sometimes cruise air is a good buy and sometimes not. You always have to check and then re check.

Can you share ..... which cruiseline, what airline you flew, month and year, and your origination airport?

Archived