Rome on Your Own Trip

lizboyle

Can anyone tell me where the coach drops you off on the Rome on your own trip? We are meeting friends from NZ in Rome the day our cruise is in and want to plan ahead to spend as much time as possible with them. I have looked into various ways of getting to Rome and for us, because my daughter is in a wheelchair, the simplest and cheapest appears to be the ships own excursion, as we are not wanting to do a tour but merely meet up and spend the day with our Kiwi friends. TIA

Have you looked on the Ports of Call board here on CC and searched for that info?

We were let off, a couple of years ago, around 12 Via del Theatro Marcello. This is near the north entrance to the Forum area on Camino Campidaglio. Rome is very easy to walk around it, with a wheelchair it may be harder as they do not have the cut curbs like we do and the pavement can be very uneven.

If you know of Google Earth you can call up Rome and the spot that Google marked with a camera icon as Rome Italy is about 2 blocks from where the bus lets you off. Realize that this might have changed, and due to traffic or strikes or political demonstration they may move the drop off/pick up point.

If you are not familier with Google Earth go here: http://earth.google.com/ and download Google Earth 5.0. You can bring up pictures of places in the world. You can see what Rome looks like. Type in the address above and it will automatically take you to the spot.

I would be very hesitant to book a ship's excursion unless your daughter can manage the steps up into a bus. They do not use vans for the transport into the city but big buses, think Greyhound. Although a manual wheelchair that folds can be carried in the luggage area of the bus there is insufficient room for a scooter or power chair. We used http://www.driverinrome.com successfully. They sent a mercedes and driver.

My daughter uses a manual wheelchair and can walk a few steps, getting on the bus should be ok. I am concerned that my friends hotel is 5km from St Peters square, which I think is where the coach drops us off. Getting on and off metros and trains is such a pain, so I may have to re-think things. I will only have perhaps 4 or 5 hours max with my friends and don't want to pay 350 euros return for a private transfer, although I know this is the easiest way.

Liz

Can anyone tell me where the coach drops you off on the Rome on your own trip? We are meeting friends from NZ in Rome the day our cruise is in and want to plan ahead to spend as much time as possible with them. I have looked into various ways of getting to Rome and for us, because my daughter is in a wheelchair, the simplest and cheapest appears to be the ships own excursion, as we are not wanting to do a tour but merely meet up and spend the day with our Kiwi friends. TIA

We did this tour in 2007 as we had been to Rome before and knew our way around.We were let off the motorcoach in an underground garage adjacent to St Peters square at the Vatican.We had the day to ourselves and met back up later in the afternoon.

We used www.driverinrome.com successfully. They sent a mercedes and driver.
I've used this service twice, and they're great. When we were there last October, we put together a group from our Roll Call which really reduced the price for all of us (I think there were 8 of us total.) You can either have them drop you off wherever you want or, pick up your friends and they can tour with you, be dropped off back where they are, and you go on to your ship.

Archived