room assignments?

ilovecraig929

Guest kwaichang
everyone is talking about getting room assignments after their final payment right? because on my confirmation i've already been assigned room numbers. is this bad? does this mean i have no hope of an upgrade?

Generally, yes. You must book a "guaranteed" cabin to have the possibility of an upgrade. On cruises that are not booked solid, you can often upgrade at the Pursers desk after boarding for a fee.

When specific category stateroom inventory gets to a certain level DCL sells the rest of the rooms in a GTY status. I think there are only 13 CAT 12's on the ship so they are pretty much always in GTY status. DCL uses periodic "specials" (opening up CAT 12's in GTY status) to try and fill up the ship (On the cruise I am on in May they sold way more than 13 CAT 12's and most of those people were upgraded). When you book GTY status you do not get to choose your room. Basically, you take what DCL has available when the rooms are assigned (about 30 days out usually). You need to be aware that you may be placed in some of the harder to sell areas of the ship but you are guaranteed to be in at least that category room and there is a chance you will be upgraded to a higher category room. Since CAT 12's only sleep 3 but DCL allows you to book 4 in a CAT 12 you will automatically be upgraded to at least a CAT 11.

Also it does not matter if you have a room # already assigned concerning getting an upgrade. If DCL needs that CAT room, they may upgrade you (probably asking you first if you would like to upgrade but maybe not (it hasn't happened to me but I have read of it happening on the other board)

Archived