Tell me about the "Wake View" bar on Sapphire

Murphey

There seems to be a hidden, out of the way bar below Club Fusion on the Sapphire, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it...comments???

This was a nice little spot. We only went there a couple of times because it was a smoking bar (this was in 2006 - not sure if it is still). Here are a few pics:

2406569190046097424S600x600Q85.jpg

2739011380046097424S600x600Q85.jpg

2250795060046097424S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that other people are starting to find out about the Wakeview bar on the Sapphire and Diamond since this is one of my favorite places on the ships, simply because it is never crowded. Seriously, this is a great place to relax and have a drink and conversation in a bar that doesn't have a crowd or a band going. Beware, cigar smoking is allowable in the Wakeview, which appeals to me and several others who end up down there. This is a great bar and it is too bad it is only on the two ships. The other grand class vessels keep this as a crew space, reported to be the officers lounge.

I'm a non smoker but I love the Wake View Bar. Lovely spot during the day for a quiet chat or to read a good book. Also a great place for a pre or post dinner drink. Definitely our favourite watering hole on the two ships. Just a shame they keep it to themselves on the others, if that is the case.

We found this bar when first on Sapphire in 2004, it was always empty then and still had that "new car" smell. We didn't want to be rude and stand on the sofa under the aft portholes, but we did kneel on them for a great view of the wake. Wish they could have dropped those portholes a little. Looking forward to another visit, soon.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies....too bad about the "smoke" smell, perhaps it just depends on the passenger mix on a particular cruise.

Funny about the portholes...I was imagining big windows to look out.

Thanks for the pictures....is there an actual bar to sit at??

We found this bar when first on Sapphire in 2004, it was always empty then and still had that "new car" smell. We didn't want to be rude and stand on the sofa under the aft portholes, but we did kneel on them for a great view of the wake. Wish they could have dropped those portholes a little. Looking forward to another visit, soon.

Chuck

The original design had floor to ceiling windows. There apparently was an issue having such large windows that low and they had to put in portholes instead... What they should do is put a big screen TV up and hook it up to a camera that looks out at the wake...

Rick.....that's great information, thanks. We all (we had a gang of about a dozen) thought it was such a cool spot but were disappointed it was so difficult to see outside.

Murphey.....you are going to be on Sapphire between May 16th and the 30th, maybe?......:rolleyes:

Chuck

Nope, we have to wait until October.....we are lucky to be going anywhere!!! We had to cancel our SYD-LAX due to the economy, but thought we could swing a b2b in Mexico....less exotic, less (much!) expensive. At least we are going to be on a cruise!!!!! At this point, I ain't picky!! :D

I was excited when Princess featured this on the then new ships. But, when I experienced it, I felt like I was in a cave and didn't find it to be a place I wanted to hang in at all.

Pam, that is exactly what I've been wondering....is it a bit claustaphobic???

Murphy wrote: I wonder if it really is the officers lounge on the other ships?????

No. Officers have certain lounges in different aft areas depending upon the ship, but they are not converted public lounges. Most are inside the crew areas off limits to passengers.

Another wrote "Just a shame they keep it to themselves on the others, if that is the case." But that's not the case. If it is unique and special rest assured it is there for the passengers first and foremost:)

Well, it IS small... as you can see from the previous photos, its decor is all about dark wood and the red upholstered chairs and benches. The portholes are on one side and since they're tiny, they don't let much light in. And then there's the giant spiral staircase in the middle of the room. But then, I'm not very claustrophobic and did enjoy the time spent there... :p

The original design had floor to ceiling windows. There apparently was an issue having such large windows that low and they had to put in portholes instead... What they should do is put a big screen TV up and hook it up to a camera that looks out at the wake...

This bar is on deck 6 and there are dining rooms one deck lower with big windows. Not floor to ceiling, but they could have put the same size windows as the dining room, or even the same size as an oceanview cabin. I thought the bar was a nice little spot, but the portholes looked stupid.

This bar is on deck 6 and there are dining rooms one deck lower with big windows. Not floor to ceiling, but they could have put the same size windows as the dining room, or even the same size as an oceanview cabin. I thought the bar was a nice little spot, but the portholes looked stupid.

True, but the dining rooms' windows are on the sides of the ship... not the aft. The aft location was the problem...

See the photos from this thread... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19135417#post19135417 ... the portholes of the Bar are there on the port side of the ship right below the Promenade.

For us it was. It is very small (my den is bigger and I am not a wealthy person with a huge house) and you cannot see out at all unless you are standing and looking out the port holes. Also, we had a hard time finding a bartender in there. I suppose it might be a cool place for a small meet and greet.

I love the Wake View Bar; it is on the Diamond, also. I like how it is out of the way and hidden. It does not get overly crowded. On one cruise we had our M&G there and it was very pleasant. Also, got to watch plenty of sports programs in a more quiet setting.

When my kids found this place, they would call it "Deck 13" and use it to rendezvous with the other teens, who were calling it the same thing. Some of the parents could never figure out where the kids were meeting because when the parents tried to find "Deck 13" there, of course was no "Deck 13" on the ship.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

Archived