what to see road to Seward

handwcruisers

I am wondering what there is to see on the road from Girdwood to Seward. Places to pull off, lookouts, wildlife, anything!! I already know about Exit Glacier. Any input would be great. Thanks

I have to smile at this thought 'what will I see'. It depends on the day you are traveling this road. First, its only two lanes (with frequent turnout areas), and the road is winding, and climbing going from sea level to high elevations that take your breath away! You will see traffic if its a weekend, and motorhomes and large buses transporting cruise passengers if its a ship day. This is one busy road and beautiful. There are numerous areas to pull off for hiking trails or exploring. You will know where you are by mile markers. You will see birds, mountains, glaciers, wildflowers, state campgrounds and hiking trails. This road, is all about the vista. :)

Here is the style you will see in forestry publications as reference

"Devils Pass Trailhead (Mile 39.4)—This route climbs steeply to the west to link up with the Resurrection Trail (see Kenai National Wildlife Refuge/Chugach National Forest Trails, above).

Sterling Highway Junctions (Mile 37.7 and Mile 37)—Turn here if you’re heading for the Kenai River, Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, Kenai, Homer, or the Southwest.

Carter Lake Trailhead (Mile 33.1)—From this point, you can take the Carter Lake Trail (3 miles, 1,000' gain) up to Carter Lake for fishing and views. The trail becomes the Crescent Creek Trail, part of an excellent long-distance hiking route ("Kenai National Wildlife Refuge and Chugach National Forest Trails, above).:confused:

melodyina,

Thanks for the info!! Glad to make you smile on the what to see. It probably did sound pretty funny, I knew that there were lots of things to see and that the beauty of all the scenery was there but I was just trying to decide on what option to take getting from Anchorage to Seward. We will be in Anchorage for 2 days with a rental car, but Avis not Hertz so we can't take that to Seward. So we were looking at other potions, one being just a motorcoach which is the cheaper route, but no stopping for anything. Our other options were PJS tours which is great because we can stop along the way and pretty much do what we want to with her. But I am just trying to justify the cost. Thank you very much for all the info. I will pretty much made up my mind to go the expensive route and stop every where possible. Again Thanks

Archived